Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011

FrustratedStephen
Default Using hips

In recent days I have been doing underswitch drills and a few lengths of the pool.

When I'm switching/spearing I seem to get all the force from my shoulders and upper back. I can't sense that anything is coming from my hips.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2011

Scotty
Default The pause that refreshes

Stephen:

To get used to using hips, pause the arm motion prior to spearing forward and consciously focus on the hips to re-initiate the forward motion. On the Zen switch (not sure what it is now called) I stop my hand right before it enters the water and use my hips to propel the arm forward.

This works consistently during the drill, but once I begin full stroke I tend to slide back to rotation driven by my shoulders. Now I train by doing five Zen switches and then three full strokes to integrate the hip propulsion into my freestyle.

Scotty
Old 12-23-2011

Butiki

In addition to the pause that Scotty mentioned, I also mentally focus on connecting the catch with the hip action. Once my stroking arm is in its catch position, I mentally envision that I'm using that hand as an anchor (like I'm grabbing on to the water) to drive my hip down and forward. So broken down, the drill is recover-pause-catch-hip drive-switch-glide. Feel the weight shift with each switch. The underswitch drill is the TI drill that lit the lightbulb in my head. Somewhere down the line, you will be able to integrate the toe flick in there.

Also, since you mention underswitch, are you working off the old drills? If you are, Terry has changed the drill a little bit in the sense that the recovering arm is no longer slid under the tummy and paused under the nose. The recovering arm should now follow along its track, which is on a line with the shoulder the arm is connected to. The pause therefore happens not with the hand under the nose but off the side of the face. The spear also follows the same track.

Good luck!

Last edited by Butiki : 12-23-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2011

FrustratedStephen

Thanks for your help.
I find it hard to move my body as one entity. The top wants to surge and power forward but the bottom half doesn't. It just follows.
I also find it difficult to find something to liken a hip movement with. With my top half I can compare it with throwing or punching, so I know what it should feel like. I need something similar for my hips.
What could you compare a hip movement to? A jump, perhaps?
Old 12-24-2011

tab

A drill I recently tried while swimming next to my daughters swim club, I think it was called 360's. They were doing various rendition, one that caught my attention was to grab your shorts, that is to keep your hand at your sides. Swim the 25 yards kicking, you would roll your body from one side to the other pausing with 20 kicks per position, facing the right side of the pool, roll to face the bottom of the pool, roll facing the left side of the pool. My understanding was this was to help the body learn to roll primarily using the core body.

I found I had to wait and be patient for my left side to come to the surface to breath, sweet spot. My right pops up sooner.

To roll my core during whole stroke at times I stick a solid but slight dolphin kick into the stroke. This is to get that rocking, screw rhythm going. What I think is happening is this over emphasizes the core body work, in other words it makes it stand out. After a few laps, at which point it is only a matter of letting it slack off and work the 2bk into it with patient lead hands at the stroke.
Old 12-24-2011

westyswoods
Default Log Roll

This sounds like one of the drills TI used several years ago. It is not an easy drill as if you keep your hands on the fronts of your thighs or in your pockets, there is nothing in front to give you balance.

I still use it and find patience is key especially when rotating to my weak side.
The difficulty of doing this marginally well may be one of the reasons you don't see it in TI clinic although some may still use it.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-24-2011

arunks

One of the advanced drills to work on to improve on the hip drive is the single arm freestyle.Apart form this there are many other benefits to be gained out of this drill.This i feel is a great drill to learn symmetry.Click here to know more on this.

Last edited by arunks : 12-24-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-24-2011

FrustratedStephen

Thanks again.
unfortunately, my leg kick is so weak so doing some of the drills described would be difficult.

Is there an order to all the movements involved in spearing to gain maximum propulsion etc? Does it start at the front and work back or vice versa? Or, is it all meant to be simultaneous?

I've noticed on videos that some swimmers' hands enter the water and then stretch before the kick. Is this the prefered way?

I'm sure it's easier than I'm making it but any advice would be gratefully received.
Old 12-24-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedStephen View Post
Is there an order to all the movements involved in spearing to gain maximum propulsion etc? Does it start at the front and work back or vice versa? Or, is it all meant to be simultaneous?
Visualize a fluid movement instead of minutely dissecting its parts.

The modest toe flick 'kicks off' the action, helping to torque the body - the hip drive. Flowing from this, the spearing arm is driven to almost full extension where it pauses momentarily - the patient catch - then begins to pull.

This corkscrew-like kinetic chain flows from toe to lead hand - fluidly and nearly simultaneously. Precise timing may vary slightly per individual and speed. Terry's demo clearly displays the concept.
Old 12-24-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I think you are overthinking it. let go of every part of your body except the high side hip and the arm that's about to spear. Don't think about the feet or the currently extended arm. Use the high side hip to push the spearing arm forward. That visualization works for probably 99% of my students, but I frequently have to get them to let go of many other things. Don't worry if you move forward or not, don't think about propulsion. Don't think about timing of the kick or feet. Lots of things will take care of themselves. Use your hip to help spear the hand.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle