Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2011

BigBlue
Default Swim Smooth

Has anyone had any experience with an Australian group called Swim Smooth? They have DVDs and a freestyle animation you can download. Their technique seems to be different than TI though... What do you guys think?
Old 12-28-2011

FrustratedStephen

I've also looked at SwimSmooth. It's got a very comprehensive website and the animation download is superb. As you say, the technique is different to TI but I still find it helpful.
If TI could create a similar animation lots of questions would be answered.
Old 12-28-2011

harling
Default TI animation

http://swim-links.blogspot.com/2011/...g-version.html
Old 12-28-2011

roates

I've followed SwimSmooth for a couple of years now. I like what they do but think their swimming is much more about competitive swimming than the relaxing swimming I want to do and they are not really a beginners site.
I'm a classic Overgilder with a pause in my stroke pattern and have found their Catch Masterclass DVD extremely helpful. Mr Smooth animation is awesome no other site has anything that comes close to analysing stroke dynamics diagrammatically.
They insist on good technique as the foundation for good swimming and the right type of technique related to body type, something not many other sites get near to addressing. Worth taking a look at.
Swim Well,
Roger
Old 12-28-2011

FrustratedStephen

To Harling,

Thank you so much for your link. I was unaware of that animation.
Brilliant, it's going to help me greatly. Highly recommended.
Old 12-29-2011

swim2Bfree

One thing I like about Swim Smooth is that it acknowledges the obvious: There is more than one way to swim well.

The "Smooth" style excels at distance-per-stroke and the appearance of effortlessness.

The "Swinger" style excels at rhythm and tempo.

Both styles can be observed in world-class swimmers. And indeed, the "Swinger" seems to have advantages in open water.

The animation is a big selling point, too.
Old 12-29-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2Bfree View Post
One thing I like about Swim Smooth is that it acknowledges the obvious: There is more than one way to swim well.

The "Smooth" style excels at distance-per-stroke and the appearance of effortlessness.

The "Swinger" style excels at rhythm and tempo.

Both styles can be observed in world-class swimmers. And indeed, the "Swinger" seems to have advantages in open water.

The animation is a big selling point, too.
I think the biggest advantage of the "swim types" is that it helps narrow down the focus of what to improve. While there are many ways to swim, I think that there is a fairly ideal way given sound biomechanics & hydrodynamics. The Swim Types each share common flaws that makes their type look that way. in that sense they've created an interesting way to identify swimming patterns for non-coaches.

But...each type still has improvements they can make, except for Mr. Smooth...there's a reason he's the iconic animation and not Mr. Arnold...

I see it as more of a marketing trick...not in the sense that it's bad or that there is anything inherently wrong with the types, but in the sense that people can quickly identify themselves with a certain type...which gets people coming back to the site over & over again. Pretty good marketing.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-29-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Animations are unquestionably a cool gimmick - but ultimately they're . . . animations. Not a human swimming.

TI does have an animation -- of Shinji. You can see it here.

But I'm far more impressed to see a 'live' human who swims with remarkable grace -- as TI Coach Kyoko Tsukamoto does.

Or TI Coach Maria Crowley.

And especially to know that what Shinji, Kyoko, Maria - and countless thousands of others have -- is a skill they learned and earned through practice of the TI Method.

If anyone can point me to video of any SwimSmooth coach or student displaying form as good as the 100s of TI examples all over youtube, I'll be more impressed.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 12-29-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2011

ashby

Hi Terry, I'm a keen follower of both Swim Smooth and Total Immersion, i feel i have gained different things from each. They are very keen on blowing bubbles in to the water which none of the TI coaches seems to be doing. which is right? To be honest I have found exhalation helps my swimming a lot and seems good advice for me - confused!
Old 12-29-2011

westyswoods
Default Useful Training Aids

Terry,

Your choice of words, "Animations are unquestionably a cool gimick - but ultimately they're ... animations. Not a human swimming.", IMHO are not correct. We could say the same of illustrations, power point presentations and almost any other training tool which helps individuals learn a skill.

I have viewed Mr Smooth often and pick pieces of this animation which I find applicable to TI. I never saw Shinji's video and animation until this thread was started, almost four years into TI.

I really like the animation of Shinji with the double screen of him swimming. It gives what you mentioned above. If you could improve on the quality of animation and have a human swimming in double screen, including bullet point to technique it would be a great teaching tool.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Closed Thread