Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011

vaporman
Default Superman glide

What causes the drift to the right when in Superman Glide excercise? Seems after I push off I start straight but then begin to drift right. Any ideas for correction because I know I should being going straight.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2011

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporman View Post
What causes the drift to the right when in Superman Glide excercise? Seems after I push off I start straight but then begin to drift right. Any ideas for correction because I know I should being going straight.
Thanks
drifting to either side instead of moving straight forward can be caused by a not-so-straight body shape and lean to one side.

try focusing on 1) maintaining a needle straight body shape, and 2) focus on keeping all your energy focused forward, ie. your arms should be extended equally forward on both sides, keep your body straight, be flat on the water, not angled to either side for the superman glide.

please let us know if this works!
Old 11-15-2011

westyswoods
Default Drifting

Don't discount the possibility pool currents are the culprit. Check out how the circulation is in the pool. One of the pools I swim in has very strong currents and will definitely push you around.

Just a thought.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 11-17-2011

vaporman
Default Superman Glide drift

Thanks for the responses, and yes the current was strong in the pool, and yes I'll be more aware of my stretch position. Will post again after practice. Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2011

vaporman
Default Superman glide drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
Don't discount the possibility pool currents are the culprit. Check out how the circulation is in the pool. One of the pools I swim in has very strong currents and will definitely push you around.

Just a thought.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy

Westy I swim in the first lane and the jets are there. When I get real close it feels like a massage ha ha. This is part of the problem. Thanks again for your support.
Old 11-18-2011

vaporman
Default Superman Glide Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshen View Post
drifting to either side instead of moving straight forward can be caused by a not-so-straight body shape and lean to one side.

try focusing on 1) maintaining a needle straight body shape, and 2) focus on keeping all your energy focused forward, ie. your arms should be extended equally forward on both sides, keep your body straight, be flat on the water, not angled to either side for the superman glide.

please let us know if this works!
The other drift factor is body control. More head positioning and relaxing. I noticed greater distance and allignment when I relax and think keeping my form more vessel like.

Thaks again for your suggestion.