Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2016
Staying Afloat

Default Stroke to breath ratio.

Hi guys.

I started swimming after a long break last month. First session managed half a length and had to get out the pool (talk about walk of shame)! Then with reading Total Immersion I managed 10x25m lengths and now can swim 30x25m (with a 5-30second pause between each length).

Something I'm struggling with though is breathing. I tried breathing bilaterally in the following pattern:

1. Pull right + Breathe Right Side
2. Pull left arm
3. Pull right arm
4. Pull Left + Breathe Left Side

This however leaves me feeling like I'm running out of air (despite me breathing in frequently) so I'm guessing I'm hyperventilating and not having enough time to exhale?

Next I tried:

2. Pull left arm
3. Pull right arm
4. Pull left arm
5. Pull right arm
6. Pull Left + Breathe Left Side

This is much better however as I don't have a big lung capacity I tend to run out of breath early and have to "hold it" for a few seconds which doesn't feel ideal.

A compromise between the two is breathing on only one side:

2. Pull left arm
3. Pull right arm
4. Pull left arm
5. Pull right + Breathe Right Side

But I think this is a bad habit for me as I suffer with neck and shoulder injuries so I want to be as balanced as possible.

Should I just keep going with the second method and hope I'll build up greater aerobic capacity to last the whole sequence soon enough? Will this take long?

One problem I find is when I turn to breathe water runs down my face and I inhale it in - are you meant to wait before inhaling or exhale slightly first (I can't do this yet due to running out of breath!)?
Old 02-07-2016

ALMD

the feeling of shortness of breath while swimming results from the buildup of Co2 in the blood because of inadequate exhalation.

if more air goes in that CO2 comes out, this will result in shortness of breath or getting winded.

for me, the fear and discomfort being in the deep water, and maybe water in general , even though I thought I was comfortable enough in the shallow water, but I guess that was not the case

Good luck

AL
Old 02-09-2016
TI Coach

CoachBillGreentree

If your breathing mechanics are correct or at least close to correct, you might want to ensure that you're exhaling between breaths while your face is under water. The amount of exhaling is actually quite small. If you're a scuba driver it's the nearly the same amount as during your "out of air" ascents practice.

Let some air trickle out of your mouth and/or nose during the two strokes you're not inhaling. When you go to take a breath, you will be able to blast a small amount of air out of your lungs and the naturally draw air in getting a more complete breath than if you're holding your breath while swimming.

If your breathing technique isn't quite up to par, practice the swim and nod as well as the whale eye drills, then move on to breathing once you've imprinted proper form.
Old 02-11-2016
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Have you tried breathing only to one side, and every other stroke:

2. Pull left arm
3. Pull right arm + Breathe Right Side
4. Pull Left

Does that help your breathlessness?

If you worry about inbalance, take one length with the above pattern, then go to left side breathign for the next length:

1. Pull right
2. Pull left arm + Breathe Right Side
3. Pull right arm
4. Pull Left + Breathe Right Side

I will also say that breathing on your off side (I think we tend to always have a favorite side for taking a breath) can be taxing unless you practice it A LOT. But breathing more often may solve your breathlessness problem until your skill increases.

You can also try practicing without breathing at all to help with inbalance. This is best done in a lane that is shallow the whole way. Swim without breathing, then when you need to take a breath, just stand up and rest/breathe/regroup. Then start again. I often start swimmers this way so that there is no breathing movement to interfere with symmetry of the stroke. Once their stroke looks pretty even, then I coach them to take the breath in the middle of their stroke without altering anything.
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
https://www.coachdshen.com/blog/