Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012

Rajan
Default Catch

Dear all,

Can somebody tell me whether I am doing right or wrong.

During recovery, I allow my leading arm and hand to come naturally under its elbow and in the same time when my recovery hand reaches in mail slot and is half extended, I pull my elbow of leading arm back, feeling water thickness on my hand and forearm and move forward.
Old 08-22-2012

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
Dear all,

Can somebody tell me whether I am doing right or wrong.

During recovery, I allow my leading arm and hand to come naturally under its elbow and in the same time when my recovery hand reaches in mail slot and is half extended, I pull my elbow of leading arm back, feeling water thickness on my hand and forearm and move forward.
If I am reading you accurately, it appears that you are describing a 3/4 catch-up, which is the timing often seen.

After stretching to streamline, the pull of the outstretched arm begins - just before the recovering hand enters. The hand is below the elbow at all times, as you "feel" the water on the entire forearm.

Some wait longer before the outstretched hand moves, allowing the recovering hand to first enter the water. Those folks usually exhibit excellent balance, and strive for a very smooth presentation.
Old 08-22-2012

ian mac
Default Remember the VW beetle

Rajan,
Without seeing video, it is hard to properly critique. However, it is important that as you extend your leading arm prior to commencing your catch, that your shoulder is higher than your elbow which is higher than your wrist which is higher than your fingertips. Terry uses the imagery of the hood of a VW Beetle. At the zenith of your extension, bend your wrist about 20 degrees before starting your pull backwards underneath the midline of your body.
Happy practice,
ian mac
Old 08-22-2012

tony0000

Rajan,

That sounds about right, but the devil is in the details--that is, the precise timing. I try to let my recovering elbow advance beyond its highest point, and then, as I feel the elbow gaining momentum as it starts to descent I SWITCH! extending my recovering arm fully to its target point (entering smoothly) and simultaneously starting my pull in an effort to sustain my forward momentum.

Hope this helps,

Tony