Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012

johynr]]]
Default holding style

Why do I find my form (for my level) starts to break down after 4 lengths. I'm swimming slowly, breathing is fine, I'm feeling very relaxed, but then slowly I can feel parts breaking down, like a patient lead hand.

My current plan is to only increase the number of lengths I do, if I am maintaining form. So this morning is was 4 lengths. Then I stopped, did drills etc and then went back to wholestroke.

Is it concentration?

Any advice?
Old 08-24-2012

CharlesCouturier

It could be that you lack a bit of flexibility. As soon as muscles become stiffer from accumulating lengths, you start feeling that you loose your form.
Old 08-24-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by johynr]]] View Post
Why do I find my form (for my level) starts to break down after 4 lengths. I'm swimming slowly, breathing is fine, I'm feeling very relaxed, but then slowly I can feel parts breaking down, like a patient lead hand.

My current plan is to only increase the number of lengths I do, if I am maintaining form. So this morning is was 4 lengths. Then I stopped, did drills etc and then went back to wholestroke.

Is it concentration?

Any advice?
Endurance and improved technique are created not by how much continuous swimmign you can do, but by the accululation of many repeated correct movements.

So rather than swimming until your form breaks down (4 lengths) and then resting AFTER your form has broken down, do as much swimming (ie as many correct repetitions) as you can BEFORE it breaks down...but do it frequently.

So instead of 4 lengths with breakdown and a lot of rest (I assume you are then doing 4 lengths again?) Swim 4 x 2 lengths with shorter rest. Or 3 x 3 lengths with medium rest. Niether the 2 nor 3 length repeats should create breakdown according to your post, then rest enough so that you can repeat that.

Many repetitions of good form aare better than the same number of repetitions where your end point is constant form breakdown. Do a week or 2 of the shorter but more frequent repetitions and then try doing the 4 lengths again and see if you've improved your ability to sustain them.

Training is more about how often you can do things correctly than how hard you can go before you falter. There is a time for that too, but MOST of the time you should opt for the former.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-24-2012

johynr]]]

Good advice, thank you.