Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009

McGinty
Default Looking for TI Coach/Trainer in Tucson or Las Vegas

I'm a 51 year old man new to TI. I split my time between Tucson and Las Vegas. I'm a self-taught swimmer (meaning lousy) but very comfortable in the water. In fact I am a very experienced scuba diver who dives professionally on occasion. I'm not that intersted in swim competition although I have entered a few triathlons for fun.

While trying to improve my swimming in general and breathing in particular TI was recommended to me. I've read Terry's book and have been trying the techniques on my own. I've been successful in some aspects and not so sucessful in others (I'm a sinker!).

I'd like to find a coach to help me but on the TI site I could not locate any in either Tucson or Las Vegas. The closest in Phoenix but that's two hours away even when I'm in Arizona.

Does anyone out ther know of coaches teaching the TI method in southern Nevada or the Tucson area? If so, please send me their contact information at phbphd at cox dot net.

Any help is appreciated.

McGinty
Old 12-14-2009

naj

Contact Anne and see if she'd be willing to come down to you. Or, see if she can recommend someone nearby. I lived in Tuscon before (sorry never again!) and I know how out of the way other cities are, but see if she's willing to travel.

Keep Swimming!
Naji

Anne Wilson

Phoenix, AZ
(480) 363-3867
Email: anne@camelbackcoaching.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Old 12-17-2009

CoachKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGinty View Post
I'm a 51 year old man new to TI. I split my time between Tucson and Las Vegas. I'm a self-taught swimmer (meaning lousy) but very comfortable in the water. In fact I am a very experienced scuba diver who dives professionally on occasion. I'm not that intersted in swim competition although I have entered a few triathlons for fun.
While trying to improve my swimming in general and breathing in particular TI was recommended to me. I've read Terry's book and have been trying the techniques on my own. I've been successful in some aspects and not so sucessful in others (I'm a sinker!).
I'd like to find a coach to help me but on the TI site I could not locate any in either Tucson or Las Vegas. The closest in Phoenix but that's two hours away even when I'm in Arizona.
Does anyone out ther know of coaches teaching the TI method in southern Nevada or the Tucson area? If so, please send me their contact information at phbphd at cox dot net.
Any help is appreciated.
McGinty
McGinty, have you considered coming to a Weekend Workshop? We're running one in Phoenix, Feb. 13-14. We'd love to have you attend & get your swimming in shape! I'm a sinker, too, but do 9 SPL once I get going...
Dubai, UAE
Old 12-18-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

And to see Kevin swim is pretty dang impressive!
Old 12-18-2009

McGinty

Kevin:

Thanks ffor the info. I saw the Albuquerque workshop in April but missed the one in Mesa because my search image was for Phoenix. That weekend may not work for me but I'll see how it goes. I've also been in touch with Anne Wilson up in Phoenix and she was very helpful.

With respect tot he workshops, how do folks that are not cometitive swimmers and new to TI fit into them. On one hand I don't want to hold a lot of other people up but on the other I want to get some personal instruction and value out of the workshop.

Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2009

CoachKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGinty View Post
Kevin:Thanks ffor the info. I saw the Albuquerque workshop in April but missed the one in Mesa because my search image was for Phoenix. That weekend may not work for me but I'll see how it goes. I've also been in touch with Anne Wilson up in Phoenix and she was very helpful.
With respect tot he workshops, how do folks that are not cometitive swimmers and new to TI fit into them. On one hand I don't want to hold a lot of other people up but on the other I want to get some personal instruction and value out of the workshop.Thanks again.
In a workshop we have a 5:1 swimmer:coach ratio. So you don't get the kind of attention you would in a private lesson, but there are other pluses. For one, you get to hang out with other like-minded swimmers who share both your aspirations & shortcomings. And because everyone is learning the same things - how to swim the TI way - the group mostly moves forward in unison for a majority of the 7 hrs. we're in the water. We always get a mixture of swimmers including "competitive" swimmers in the form of masters & triathletes and recreational & fitness swimmers. Most are new to TI in that they've never had hands-on instruction, but have gone down the self-help route. Sounds like you'd do just fine!
Dubai, UAE
Old 03-09-2012

Gelpke
Default Helping people with TI in Tucson Az

This is way late but I swim the TI way here in Tucson AZ.

If there is anyone in Tucson who would like some swimming help I am available from mid October through May.

I have taken a lot of TI instructions and did the weeks coaching training a number of years ago. I have been helping folks on and off for the past 10 years getting them started in the right direction.

Retired in 2004 and spend summers in MA and winters in Tucson AZ.

Lgelpke@msn.com