Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011

CoachRyan
Default Minneapolis

Westy,

You say you are heading to Minneapolis for coaching...with whom? Dave Cameron?

You are quite welcome for the analysis. Thanks for posting your video and I will look forward to seeing your progress.

Just so you know, I have the same problem with my 2bk when I kick my right leg...I get an additional kick from the left leg. If I really concentrate on it, I can get it to stop but it is very difficult. I think everyone has a "bad side" that they have to work on harder than the other side. That is part of what mindful swimming is all about though so keep working hard (with your brain and your body). Happy swimming.
ryan@tribasetraining.com
360-621-6830
Old 03-25-2011

CoachKris

you are welcome ;)

to get a bit more control over your legs you can do a few lengths trying to clap with your feet example flick with your bottom leg and bring your feet back together, its a bit like catch up for legs ;) else do swing switches with pause in skating
Old 03-25-2011

westyswoods
Default Minneapolis

Coach Ryan

Yes Coach Dave and an assistant hope to get three sessions in two Sat and one Sunday morning.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 03-25-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Westy, the only thing I'll add to what's been posted is to use a focal point of a continuously moving elbow, and avoid what Coach Dave calls the "poisonous pause."

Since you're seeing him tomorrow, I"ll leave it at that. Let us know how it goes.

Fun trick...see if you can make Dave blush in front of his assistant coaches. It's quite fun...telling him he is awesome usually does the trick. He's a bit modest.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 03-25-2011

CoachRyan
Default Bring it!

Westy,

No worries then! Coach Dave will take good care of you. He is the one that certified me as a TI coach and I keep in contact with him on almost a daily basis.

Ask him if he is getting his P90X and Insanity workouts in.
ryan@tribasetraining.com
360-621-6830
Old 03-26-2011

tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKris View Post
on your first shot I can see some early catch but its not very consistent as it can be seen clearly only on your first pull

there is one more thing i can see here that i believe havnt been mentioned yet ;) It looks to me that you are pausing your arm just before entering water - not always but quite frequently so my advice would be to get rid of it working on zen switches without pauses.

as for a hip drive i hope this video will help a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeBYur3k6_0
This is a great video. Being a bit of a dyslexic, I have found it troubling at times to figure out the 2 beat kick and when to stroke. What I found in this video is the stroke takes place at the same time as the initial kick(1) and finishing with the spear(4) The stroke is not numbered. Can it be labeled (1.5) or something?

While swimming today, I kept this video in mind and felt for the right time to kick and and spear. The stroke just happened. I had to forget the stroke and focused more on the kick, hip drive and the spear. The stroke just happened, a method to cycle the arm around to start the next spear.

I probably will have some sore core body muscles tomorrow, they'll get used to it.

I hope I got the quote thing right.
Old 03-26-2011

RadSwim
Default "Steep and deep" pulls your head under -- a common (perhaps universal) TI problem

Westy-

As I have observed in videos posted from several other TI swimmers, I see you head being pulled under the surface as you spear "steep and deep."

I did the same thing -- it took years to correct. I gradually developed enough shoulder flexibility and core strength to spear straight forward. I learned fore-and-aft balance -- to keep my backside at the surface throughout the stroke cycle. Finally, I learned how to quit subtly lifting my head to breathe.

With all of these new skills, I no longer needed to wait rise back to the surface -- no longer needed to crane my neck to air.

The first step is to unlearn "steep and deep" spearing as quickly as your shoulders will allow.

Good luck,
RadSwim