Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011

CoachRyan
Default Vimeo

Hi Westy,

I too cannot view the video without downloading quicktime. I use Vimeo for a lot of my swim videos...it is much like youtube but but a little better in some ways. I like the format of the site better.

I look forward to seeing your video.
ryan@tribasetraining.com
360-621-6830
Old 03-24-2011

westyswoods
Default Posted video to You Tube

Let me try again,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgkSBZHjog

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 03-24-2011

CoachRyan
Default Video is viewable

Hi Westy,

I took a look at the video. I think your self analysis is pretty good. There is a bit of over-rotation on the breath strokes (and maybe a little on the regular strokes as well), elbow lead needs some work (swing switches will help), and the spearing of the hand is a little lower than necessary.

The lead hand is pretty patient and the core rotation is not bad...hips and upper body seem to be together.

How much have you worked on different stroke rates? Do you use a tempo trainer? Your stroke rate in this video is fairly slow. Not that it is a bad thing to be able to swim with a slow stroke rate...it shows good balance...but I think playing around with some higher stroke rates while holding your form would bring some results for you.

Another thing that I notice in the video as you are coming at the camera is that your weight shift on each stroke happens more as a slower roll than a "snap" of the hip. Try focusing on driving the hip right at the moment when you begin the catch and spear the hand forward to skate.
ryan@tribasetraining.com
360-621-6830
Old 03-24-2011

westyswoods
Default Video Analysis

Coach Ryan,

Thanks for the review. To answer your questions of tempo trainer.

This has been very much a trouble area for me. Due to a severe hearing deficit the normal TT are not viable. I have had to custom make tracks for MP3 players with fit into very specific Mhz levels. Now I am struggling with getting an MP3 that works through air conduction. I could go on at length and I must have been blessed with getting every bad Mp3 different companies make. Sent two Swimman's back and still cannot get tap stick to work properly. Two other products are sitting on the shelf.

Now to rates you are exactly correct my stroke rate is slow, and have known for some time. When I am able to use a TT my starting tempo is 1.3. Even this seems fast for me so that tells us a lot. Regressing a little, I find this to be one of the good areas of TI evolving. When I took the workshop three years ago there was very little focus on whole stroke, consequently post workshop I spent an inordinate amount of time drilling at an ultra slow rate.

Did very little whole stroke for almost a year and we can now see the results.

I see your point about weight shift being more of a roll than snap never really focused on the snapping of hip.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 03-24-2011

CoachRyan
Default Golf!

Hey Westy,

I agree...I am very much a fan of the newer way of incorporating whole stroke into the TI workshops more. In fact, most of the ones that I have been involved in have used tempo trainers near the end of the workshop to give people a feel for swimming with different stroke rates. I have found it to be very helpful with my clients in many ways (including helping to reduce over-rotation during breathing).

It is unfortunate that you are not able to use a normal tempo trainer and have to go through what sounds like a lot of work to do the same thing. However, all is not lost even if you don't end up with a viable tempo trainer type solution through MP3 players. I believe it is quite possible to work at different stroke rates by feel and still get good results.

Have you tried playing swim golf? If not, try this: Take a few 50s (say 4 to 6) while timing them and counting strokes. Do them at strong but comfortable pace (say about 300 yd pace). Add your total number of strokes for the 50s to your total time in sec for the 50s. This gives you your golf score. Average your golf score for these first 50s. Now, swim a set of 50s (10 x 50, 12 x 50...whatever...I don't know your fitness level and goals) with the goal of lowering your golf score. There are two ways to lower it...less strokes, less time. In general, aiming for less strokes slows your stroke rate down and aiming for less time increases your stroke rate. However, you may find after a while that you can increase your stroke rate while keeping your stroke count the same or even lowering it as well. I like to take half of the set to work on lowering stroke count (working on stretching from the wrist and streamlining) and half to work on faster swimming (working on increased stroke rates). Something to try.
ryan@tribasetraining.com
360-621-6830
Old 03-24-2011
Coach

CoachBrian
Default Speed up the stroke, slow down the hip drive

When I watch your stroke, I see a short hard bit of propulsion, followed by a long pause in which you lose most of your forward motion.

I agree that you should speed up the stroke. I recommend you experiment with speeding up the recovery and "smoothing" the pull/hip drive. Watch Shinji swim, particularly the underwater shots at about :50. His hips drive with the stroke. They don't "snap" to a position and then linger there waiting for the stroke to catch up.

Despite the slow stroke rate, I see a bit of what I describe as "aquatic violence" in your hip drive. I like to think of the hip drive and stroking arm as two gears working together. One gear can't work faster than the other. If you change the speed of one, you must change the speed of the other.

Now, you can increase the speed of the hip drive. But you should also increase the speed of the pulling arm to match it, and also speed up the recovering arm so that you don't lose as much forward motion between strokes.
Old 03-24-2011

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
Let me try again,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgkSBZHjog

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Hi Westy,

Here are my comments:

1. Stroke rate should be increased until we see a continuous/fluid arm movement for a few reasons:
a. Faster stroke rate means constant speed instead of accelerate/decelerate motion
b. Continuous means your arm/elbow can rebalance your body forward as

2. 2BK is actually a "2BK with noise" (just like mine)
Your lower leg kick is good... but you must keep the upper leg up near the surface and streamlined. If the upper leg also kicks, it is counterproductive as it negatively effects the rotation motion started by the lower leg.

3. Hands indeed spear at a very low Y-coordinate. Provides good balance but I wonder what effect that has on your catch/Pull action. It looks like the catch/pull is "straight arm down". I do not see the hand coming close to the belly/hip while the body rotates

To be frank you stroke looks very similar to mine and these are the improvement tips I have received at my last TI session.

Let me know what you think... ALEX
Old 03-24-2011

CoachKris

on your first shot I can see some early catch but its not very consistent as it can be seen clearly only on your first pull

there is one more thing i can see here that i believe havnt been mentioned yet ;) It looks to me that you are pausing your arm just before entering water - not always but quite frequently so my advice would be to get rid of it working on zen switches without pauses.

as for a hip drive i hope this video will help a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeBYur3k6_0
Old 03-25-2011

cynthiam

Westy,

Just want to thank you for posting your video. I have some of the same things to work on, so it's helpful for me to hear everyone's observations & corrections.

I hope to get a video of my whole stroke done soon and will bravely post it for all the world to critique.

Cynthia
Old 03-25-2011

westyswoods
Default Perception vs Reality

My gratitude to all who have reviewed the video and posted very helpful analysis.

From my perspective I can say everyone of the points and suggestions mentioned is more than valid. Interesting in that they are all things I can feel and or know are happening and need work on. Video is an so important I need to start doing more. A couple examples below.

Alex SG comment on 2bk and the noise my upper leg makes. I can feel it and try to keep it quiet but never realized the counter it causes or how bad it is until viewing video. My thoughts are it is a result of not being able to stay in a stable skate position until kick and initiation of stroke cycle.

Coach Brian Aquatic violence in the hip drive with some propulsion and then slowing down. Yes I also feel it in the water. The Shinji video shows it very well.

Coach Ryan Point to picking up stroke rate is very much needed.

Coach Kris Swing Switches are in order as I need to work on high and lead elbow again I can feel left side being worse than right just did not know how bad.

Thanks Again To All. I am heading to Minneapolis tomorrow for some coaching. I will post more video, hopefully, when I get home. I am leaning towards using Vimeo for uploads.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy