Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010

aksenov
Default The Case of Mysterious Red Spot

Hi,
I've been swimming since I was 27 just for fitness alongside with occasional jogging and resistance training. Usually I took 2-3 swimming sessions per week aiming at 30-45 minutes of non-stop swimming with about 80% of Maximum Pulse Rate (roughly 130 bpm) and used breaststroke which I can swim just as I walk.
But about 2 months ago I first stumbled upon TI and was marveled at this really “revolutionary way to swim better, faster and easier”. I started trying it and it turned not as difficult as I first imagined.
So, in October (just before I turned 60) I took 2 week vacation and arranged a self coached training course.
It was real total immersion in Total Immersion: 1 hour of drills and mindful swimming in the morning and 2-3 hour of TI video and TI literature analysis later in the day. It was not only very interesting and enjoyable but also produced quite satisfactory results: my stroke cont dropped from 19 to 14 in 25-meter pool (I know, I know that SPL is not an ideal measure of swimming efficiency). I took that as a birthday present for myself.
But I write this not only to praise TI and say how delighted I am.
I have a question to all TI forum members. During my self coached course I developed a mysterious slightly painful red spot on front part of my right shoulder. It disappeared within 3 days of break but showed up again after next swimming session. It took me some time to figure out what it was.
I thought I might be an interesting case for TI forum members and I would like to pose 2 questions:
1. What was that?
2. What is wrong with my swimming technique and what should be done to correct it?
Thanks TI for TI freestyle and best wishes to all.
Valeriy Aksenov
Orenburg, Russia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Red Spot.JPG (12.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-06-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Im going to guess its brush burn from your beard stubble.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-06-2010

aksenov
Default The Case of Mysterious Red Spot

Yes, Dr. Atkinson, you are quite right.
What about my second question? Should I turn head down after taking a breath a bit earlier?
Old 11-06-2010

andreasl33

With regards to the second question, shave thoroughly and immediately before you go swimming. I strongly suggest wet shaving, since I don't think you could eliminate the stubbles well enough with an electric razor. I too have these red spots from time to time, if I did not shave well enough, but they usually disappear the next day.
Old 11-06-2010

Richardsk

Another solution is to grow a beard, although that may create too much drag.