Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne
Default Three step method for improving swim: Swim Watch Data

spurred by recent discussions here, I've been putting my thoughts into my blog and wanted to share here for discussion of anyone using swim watches. This article (part 2 ) will help you make sense of that watch data ina systematic way.

http://steelcityendurance.com/swimmi...ck-triathlete/

Because I am trying to develop an instructive series here, if anyone would care to share a garmin or swimsense swim file with me for the purspose of doing a case study, just reply here. You can make the set public and I can go take a look at it and see if it would make a good case study.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-26-2013

ananthaditya

CoachSuzanne,

I'm glad to have read your post because it clarifies the details I'm often reluctant to get into. I'm trying to recollect here the import of what you said in another thread...

From what I understand you can't really differentiate between a swimmer with good technique and slow pace, and another with bad technique and fast pace, unless you can test consistency over distance.

If someone's got a consistently high SWOLF then technique sessions are best.
Fluctuating high and low SWOLF may be a sign to concentrate more on aerobic capacity.
Consistently low SWOLF over a set of minimum 1500m is good.

If possible, could you provide some ranges for low SWOLF among mid-range triathletes?

Thanks.

ps - I've been thinking of getting a 910xt for a while, but I just don't know if it's worth it. For me the prime benefit would be motivation from data. From your experience with triathletes who own such watches, can you tell if it helps individuals increase their consistency and motivation to practice? I'm talking about people who're not seasoned athletes but beginners who want to bring some athletic discipline into their every day routine.
Becomes established in himself.'

Ananth Aditya
Freelance writer, editor,
and aspiring novelist.

Last edited by ananthaditya : 11-26-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-26-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

What do we do with SWOLF?
The next chart is the SWOLF chart. I present this here because it seems like there should be a gold mine of data here…but I’ll just go out on a limb and say at many times, this is fool’s gold. We have to ask our selves if we are really asking the right question. What does the sum of two different units represent? Do I want my SWOLF to be as low as possible? If I lower my SWOLF am I improving?

It’s far more important that you understand the concepts and meaning of the 3 data points we have already collected, but Several different patterns can emerge with this chart so it is worth at least thinking things through. SWOLF is the sum of strokes per length (stroke cycles) plus time in seconds per length. This number has no units and conceptually we can’t place an absolute value on it’s meaning. What we can see in this graph is that that number is steady as well…but we knew that it would be. In a differently paced set, or a less consistent swimmer, this chart would have a different “shape”.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-28-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthaditya View Post

ps - I've been thinking of getting a 910xt for a while, but I just don't know if it's worth it. For me the prime benefit would be motivation from data. From your experience with triathletes who own such watches, can you tell if it helps individuals increase their consistency and motivation to practice? I'm talking about people who're not seasoned athletes but beginners who want to bring some athletic discipline into their every day routine.
I have a 910XT and love it for tri training, but mostly use it for running and for OW swim tracking for which it has amazing GPS connectivity even while swimming.

I like the Garmin Swim watch much better for pool training - it is thinner and i like the display better. the metrics is delivers are also very good too.
Old 11-29-2013

ananthaditya

CoachDavidShen,

Thanks for the assurance. I went ahead and ordered the 910xt. I only run about 2 km/day (winds me out), and I'll be using it to track my progress running and also in the pool (binging on another device just for the pool is overkill right now).
Becomes established in himself.'

Ananth Aditya
Freelance writer, editor,
and aspiring novelist.
Old 11-29-2013

craig.arnold@gmail.com

Hi Suzanne,

I've had my Garmin Swim for nearly a year now.

The data is public - help yourself. :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activities?cid=19549686

Actually that doesn't work for some reason.

Anyway - I've sent you a message via the contact page on your website with my login details.

Regards,
Craig

Last edited by craig.arnold@gmail.com : 11-29-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2013

Subwoofer

This is today's lunchbreak swim (25m pool):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/410118373

It isn't 10*100, but I wouldn't mind posting some such sets, if it's of any use.

I haven't cared too much about swolf so far, but I noticed that my average dropped from 46 to 41 after TI Camp.

Regards,
Magnus