Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2013
helixfairweather helixfairweather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 197
helixfairweather
Default Whole Stroke as it is now

Here is a video clip of my whole stroke after working through Lesson 1 - 3 of Perpetual Motion Freestyle DVD. I don't have before video but it was thrashing survival.

https://vimeo.com/71905113 Password is: TILesson1

This was taken in my first lesson with a TI Coach on July 22.

Feedback is appreciated!

I have held back from doing much whole stroke other than when it is part of an exercise - in an attempt to create "muscle amnesia".

My biggest question is: Can I, should I or shouldn't I, do laps of whole stroke as part of my swim workouts now? OR should I wait until I get further along in PMF lessons? I fear I'll never get out of Lesson 4 (but that's a subject for another post).

Thank you,
Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2013
efdoucette efdoucette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 157
efdoucette
Default

Hey Helix, your video is private, you need to make it public so we can see it. I'm not sure how to do that but good luck, looking forward to seeing your video.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2013
helixfairweather helixfairweather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 197
helixfairweather
Default

Yes, it is private on purpose. That's why I included the password.

Helix
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2013
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

hello helix,

I see you haven't had a reply from a coach yet, hopefully one will have the time to look at your video.

It looks to me as if you have some 'connection' issues in your stroke. By that I mean that you are pulling ahead of rotation.

I don't think it would harm you to do some whole stroke but there are some things you may want to work on in the first half of each session to help you improve.

Suzanne, David, Toby will no doubt offer some professional guidance here.

Keep enjoying the water
Andy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2013
helixfairweather helixfairweather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 197
helixfairweather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
hello helix,


It looks to me as if you have some 'connection' issues in your stroke. By that I mean that you are pulling ahead of rotation.


Andy.
Hi Andy! Thank you for replying. Can you explain what you mean by "pulling ahead of rotation"?

Thank you!
Helix Fairweather
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2013
Nickyb Nickyb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Nickyb
Default Do what feels right for you

Hi Helix,
I'm not a coach either and haven't got any valuable advice to give but I wanted to say well done you! You look very relaxed in the water and are obviously being extremely 'mindful' when swimming and drilling. Two main factors of learning TI swimming I believe.
More knowledgable others (including your coach) can give you 'where to next' advice but as a fellow learner I can say' 'You go girl!!' and just keep on enjoying your time in the water.
I've enjoyed focusing on feelings recently - pressure of water on face, forearm, hand, the way the water 'holds' you horizontal when you let it, the pressure on your patient lead hand, pressure on chest...I have found this focus has relaxed me completely to the point of swimming with my eyes closed and an idiotic grin on my face (which probably causes drag!).
Enjoy the feeling Helix.
About the whole stroke and drills question, I am the absolute wrong person to ask as I only do whole stroke but with a 'mindful focus' each time. Can you just do what feels right for you? I have and am making improvements I am happy with in my swimming. Go with your gut and what feels right.
Relax and enjoy the feeling,
Nicky
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2013
craig.arnold@gmail.com craig.arnold@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 157
craig.arnold@gmail.com
Default

Hi Helix,

That is looking pretty good to me. Obviously I haven't seen how you were swimming before.

Good points:
  • Balance definitely. And that is the single most important point of the TI pyramid.
  • Your head and neck is nice and relaxed.
  • Nice relaxed rotation to air.
  • Fairly restrained kick, the movement is good, mostly staying fairly streamlined inside your body.
  • Fairly nice catch position.
  • Good arm entry without much splashing.

A couple of focal points to work on:
  • Getting more core into the stroke. At the moment you are working fairly hard on your kick. And pulling nicely but quickly with your arms. So you are still swimming a bit too much with arms and legs.

    Have a look at some of the videos of Terry and Shinji to get an idea of how the core rotation can help to propel you forward. Obviously body shape and strength play a role, and not all of us can swim like Shinji, but we can move in that direction.
  • Stretch forward just a little more on the arm entry, it won't actually get you much further forward, but it helps to get the core engagement going.
  • Have in mind that the start of your stroke rotation could be to focus on the hips. As the hip rotates down feel the extension of the arm on the same side. Think of it as waltzing down the pool... Left-2-3, Right-2-3. With small kicks on the 2-3 beats and a slightly larger kick on the main beats.

Overall it's a good looking stroke because your balance is really good and you are clearly feeling comfortable in the water. I see the makings of a good long-distance stroke there. :)

Regards,
Craig
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2013
terry terry is offline
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,305
terry has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I see you haven't had a reply from a coach yet, hopefully one will have the time to look at your video.
To be frank, we don't encourage (though we don't prohibit) coaches from giving free video analysis on the Forum. They're professionals after all and should be compensated for the value of their knowledge and training.

As part of our web site redesign, we'll include an option to receive private feedback on video from a certified TI Coach. This will include prescriptive advice for improvement.

But feedback from fellow enthusiasts is very much encouraged -- mainly as it often does as much to benefit the giver as the receiver.

Helix, some feedback I'm happy to give is don't avoid whole stroke. But as part of a practice--not a 'workout,' a term I urge you to henceforth avoid when referring to any skilled activity, including swimming.

Practicing whole stroke means starting every pool length with a specific plan to improve or imprint some aspect of the stroke and clarity on the feedback--whether sensory or numeric--that will tell you if you're on track.
__________________
Terry Laughlin
Head Coach & Chief Executive Optimist

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 08-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2013
helixfairweather helixfairweather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 197
helixfairweather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post

But feedback from fellow enthusiasts is very much encouraged -- mainly as it often does as much to benefit the giver as the receiver.

Helix, some feedback I'm happy to give is don't avoid whole stroke. But as part of a practice--not a 'workout,' a term I urge you to henceforth avoid when referring to any skilled activity, including swimming.
Thank you, Terry! "Workout" will be dropped from my vocabulary. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post

Practicing whole stroke means starting every pool length with a specific plan to improve or imprint some aspect of the stroke and clarity on the feedback--whether sensory or numeric--that will tell you if you're on track.
I will be more mindful about a plan for my lengths of whole stroke when I do include them in a practice session. That will certainly help keep me from the feeling of overwhelm, that there is so much to remember to do correctly.

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2013
helixfairweather helixfairweather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 197
helixfairweather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.arnold@gmail.com View Post
Hi Helix,

That is looking pretty good to me. Obviously I haven't seen how you were swimming before.

Good points:
  • Balance definitely. And that is the single most important point of the TI pyramid.
  • Your head and neck is nice and relaxed.
  • Nice relaxed rotation to air.
  • Fairly restrained kick, the movement is good, mostly staying fairly streamlined inside your body.
  • Fairly nice catch position.
  • Good arm entry without much splashing.
Thank you so much, Craig! I really appreciate having bullet points of what is going well. I am surprised that my rotation to air is observed as being "relaxed". That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.arnold@gmail.com View Post

A couple of focal points to work on:
  • Have a look at some of the videos of Terry and Shinji to get an idea of how the core rotation can help to propel you forward. Obviously body shape and strength play a role, and not all of us can swim like Shinji, but we can move in that direction.
  • I look at videos all the time! You are right in that I don't get much propulsion out of my rotation. I experience that in the spear switch practices.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craig.arnold@gmail.com View Post
  • Stretch forward just a little more on the arm entry, it won't actually get you much further forward, but it helps to get the core engagement going.
  • Will do!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craig.arnold@gmail.com View Post
  • Have in mind that the start of your stroke rotation could be to focus on the hips. As the hip rotates down feel the extension of the arm on the same side. Think of it as waltzing down the pool... Left-2-3, Right-2-3. With small kicks on the 2-3 beats and a slightly larger kick on the main beats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.arnold@gmail.com View Post
Thank you - this sounds very helpful! I don't have a lot of emphasis on what my hip is doing. I'm not sure *how* to get that timed right but I will definitely work on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.arnold@gmail.com View Post

Overall it's a good looking stroke because your balance is really good and you are clearly feeling comfortable in the water. I see the makings of a good long-distance stroke there. :)
HA HA!! My goal is simply to do calm, relaxed, mindful lap swims for exercise. I can't yet even do 100m in one go of it. My current practice sessions are about 500 or so yards, total time of activity 50 minutes.

Although I do wonder if I would ever get "hooked" on long distance, non-pool swimming due to my passion for learning TI.

Craig, I appreciate your taking the time to give me lengthy feedback!

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.