Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachLuisaFonseca View Post
I just realized I repeat my self too much... ;) but I do get crazy sometimes around here! Sorry if I sound to agressive haschu... it's my way eheh

Rwilkes, I hope you haven't give up by now!!!!
No worries, mite, you sound neither neither crazy nor aggressive - although I can't look in your mind, of course ;-))
I basically agree, I just wanted to point out that it is not a good idea to discourage people who really don't have access to a coach.

BTW, although self-coached, my expectations are high, I just make sure that I follow long term goals and I can get quite stubborn...

I also hope that rwilkes doesn't give up

Hang on in there...
Old 02-26-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
No worries, mite, you sound neither neither crazy nor aggressive - although I can't look in your mind, of course ;-))
I basically agree, I just wanted to point out that it is not a good idea to discourage people who really don't have access to a coach.

BTW, although self-coached, my expectations are high, I just make sure that I follow long term goals and I can get quite stubborn...

I also hope that rwilkes doesn't give up

Hang on in there...
I'm with you Haschu, confident in a self coached approach, high expectations but very patient. I also agree with your comments on year two and three being about breathing, that's where I am at the mo.
Old 02-26-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal
Default Give it a rest

Hey Russ,

I can only admire your sense of devotion to TI for over four years and the honesty expressing your frustrations - not many have that kind of courage. I've had several students that if they decided to self-coach, it may have lasted a few months (or less) before they walked away from the sport. The forums can also be frustrating with conflicting advice causing confusion and over thinking. So my only advice is to give swimming a rest for a couple of months or more, enough time to go do something that you truly enjoy. Then possibly consider returning to the pool for a fresh start. And if you are ever in LA, please feel free to look me up and come out to the pool as my guest; I'd love to have the opportunity to work with you even if for a couple of hours.

Enjoy your break and look forward to your return.

Stuart
Old 03-21-2013

smat
Default sympathy

Rwilkes, wanted to say you are not alone on your unsuccesful journey in TI. i had nearly 20 lessons and also for the last 8 months had the nicest TI buddy trying to help me. Over 2 years of practice and finally realised today that i am never going to improve and that is the TI way. I am so dissapointed with TI that i have not posted for a long time , but wanted you to know you are not alone.
Old 03-21-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smat View Post
i had nearly 20 lessons and also for the last 8 months had the nicest TI buddy trying to help me . . . finally realised today that i am never going to improve and that is the TI way. I am so dissapointed with TI that i have not posted for a long time , but wanted you to know you are not alone.
"The nicest TI buddy" Mike Weedon, a TI-UK Coach since October tried to post this link to video of SMAT but couldn't so asked me to post it for him. And by the way, SMAT's TI coach is Keith Lee. Here's a nice video of SMAT swimming 25m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g24quoHPUbA

What advice would you all render to SMAT on how to process his deep disappoinment? And do you think Coach Keith has done well by him?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-21-2013

CoachLuisaFonseca

Smat has a really nice stroke... I don't know, maybe he could especify a bit more about what is disapointment is about...
Old 03-22-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Coach Lee did very well by SMAT. Looking at swimmer beyond the lens in far lane, SMAT passes him with fewer strokes after starting about 3-4 strokes behind. Clean entry, streamline, excellent breath too - head/spine aligned, one goggle in one out, little turbulence.
Old 03-22-2013

kathyswims

interesting conversation going here ... I haven't posted in a very long time ... perhaps years. I went to a TI Weekend workshop 2 years ago (ish)? and before that had been coached on a daily basis by a former TI Coach. So I'm not self taught. But since moving 900 miles from easy access to that daily coaching, I see myself falling into bad habits and getting frustrated at times as well.

Watching SMAT's video, I was thinking that he was looking pretty good also, so I'm glad that my assessment wasn't off. I was watching the kick which has been one of the hardest things for me to learn. I remember when I was first learning or trying to learn the 2-beat kick, my coach was watching and basically said that he didn't know what to say (it was a mess). I got better after attending the TI Weekend. Breathing with ease (while swimming) has been a life-long learning experience

I've told myself to relax and enjoy ... don't be so analytical about it *all the time*
Old 03-22-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyswims View Post
I've told myself to relax and enjoy ... don't be so analytical about it *all the time*
Kathyswims has shared a nugget of little-appreciated wisdom for a happy life. And if we are not swimming to improve the quality of life, then what are we swimming for?
The culture of swimming influences too many of us to spend much time self-judging, chasing after ever-faster times or other passing 'accomplishments.'

At 62 I've been gradually losing speed for 6 years, after a burst of startlingly fast times in my mid-50s (which turned back the clock 13 years). And yet, I've never been happier or more fulfilled by my practice, because I take pleasure in the quality of experience.

And by the way, though my pool times have slowed, my placings in OW races continue to be amazingly good -- top 10% of the field in 4 of 5 races last summer. Don't get too caught up in pool times. Use them as smart metrics to measure relative improvement -- from beginning to end of a practice or from the start to finish of a 40-Day Improvement Project.

Happy laps,
Terry

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story