Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012

smat

Andy . have tried that and manage that reasonbly easy. I feel as if my balance is my main problem and i practice it religously and envy natural floaters . Thankyou Terry for replying to blog. I am begining to realise my journey is not going to be short.
Old 11-07-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by smat View Post
Andy . have tried that and manage that reasonbly easy. I feel as if my balance is my main problem and i practice it religously and envy natural floaters . Thankyou Terry for replying to blog. I am begining to realise my journey is not going to be short.
How about 50m? I was looking to find you some interesting drills where you can keep moving the goal posts and keep records?
Old 11-07-2012

haschu33

Andy and Sherry,

I basically agree that it is far better to keep a focus while practicing, firstly because you can practice your swimming a lot more efficient and secondly because it is healthier anyway to keep a focus and be undistracted.

Nevertheless,

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
...Repeating any drills without consciously testing small changes followed by self evaluation is for me pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
..., but I didn't realize until I read this, how much time I have wasted doing drills with no plan or goal.
this is not the complete story I believe. There is this balance we always talk about, and I would almost synonymously call it body control. Both are crucially important in swimming and to my very personal experience both

- develop analogue to the time we spend in the water
- develop always when we are in the water almost regardless of what we are doing in there
- cannot be developed in a short time even by means of the most sophisticated swimming drills

Balance as such I see as an entirely neural phenomena, it is our neural system that gathers this immense amount of haptic information that results from our body being in the water and processes it to find more and better ways to deal with it. The neural system doesn't depend on our focus or our intention to do that. In fact we can't keep it from imprinting, that's why it is so important to make sure that we only (or mainly) imprint good habits.

There is this experience of mine where I did Superman Glides for about 20 consecutive minutes and found out afterwards that I was higher in the water on my bad breathing side than before and I had no focus on it at all, it happened anyway.

I often swim and have no particular sense of goal or change, but just very intensely watch what is happening. I always have the feeling that this is highly effective.
And, whenever I see worldclass swimmers in video footage e.g. the most prominent thing that jumps into my eyes is time, the time they have spent in the water. To win a gold medal or swim world record you need a very special focus, but this impressive body control that we can also admire in Terry and Shinji is in my opinion to a great deal depending on spending plenty of time in the water.

I am not saying that it doesn't matter what we are doing when we are in the water, not at all, but what I am saying is don't worry when you lost your focus or got distracted lastingly by the pretty girl (or arnie :-) ) in the next lane or just happen not to have any particular focus for your swim - I am sure the time is never wasted.

And, yes, Superman Glide is amazing. It does a lot more to our swimming than we might notice. To realize it's importance and promote it plays a big role in Terry's success with TI, I think

My two Euro-cents...