Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012

smat
Default Fitness

It was suggested on this thread that my 1500 time of 36 mins is poor . My fitness is good and some examples are i have just done a test on the concept rower 2k in 7.15. I can still bench 100k so strength reasonable. I am ready for advice again. I drilled TI this morning for 2 hours. My TI mentor wants to do fitness swimming for himself although i was reluctant to join him as my TI coach said that when i swim i go back to my old style of swimming . I am ready to try something different so i am going to do TI drills for an hour and then want some suggestions of what swim sessions i should do for the next hour.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by smat View Post
It was suggested on this thread that my 1500 time of 36 mins is poor . My fitness is good and some examples are i have just done a test on the concept rower 2k in 7.15. I can still bench 100k so strength reasonable. I am ready for advice again. I drilled TI this morning for 2 hours. My TI mentor wants to do fitness swimming for himself although i was reluctant to join him as my TI coach said that when i swim i go back to my old style of swimming . I am ready to try something different so i am going to do TI drills for an hour and then want some suggestions of what swim sessions i should do for the next hour.

Thanks.
Smat, do you own a Tempo trainer as part of your TI kit bag?

My advice would be to find some 'fitness' sessions that don't allow your old stroke to take over, but allow you to be competitive with yourself as it seems that would suit your personality and goals.

2 examples of this would be (based on your 36 minute 1500m time)

1. After your drills, swim 4x1 length with your TI stroke and have 30s rest inbetween. Count your strokes per length each time to make sure they are consistent.

2. Once you know your target strokes per length, start to swim TI at a relaxed pace and continue counting your strokes. If your stroke count goes 2 above that of your typical length then you must take a 1 minute penalty and rest.

3. swim 5x200m with a minute rest between each (be strict on all rests and time penalties and use the pool's pace clock) like this and you will get a 1000m time which is also your 'score' for the set that day.

a worked example.

4x25 minute SPL check. You swim 17,17,16,18 so you would take 17 as your average and typical strokes per length at relaxed pace.

You then start your first 200m at a pace of 2 minutes 10s per 100m.

Your SPL is 17,17,17,18,19 (so you have to wait 1 minute), 17,17,18 (1 minute rest for end of first 200), this would give you a time of in this example 4minutes 20 swimming and 2 minutes rest with 1 penalty so 6 minutes 20.

Then repeat for the other 4x200m and add up the total time you took to complete the session within the rules.

The benefit of this is that the more focused you swim, the less penalties you will get so your time to complete will be less. Also as you get fitter your swimming speed will pick up and again your time will come down.

Once you can comfortably complete the 5x200m without an SPL penalty then you can take the rest periods down 10s at a time. The ultimate goal will be to swim 1000m at a good pace with consistent SPL.

If that's a brain ache then this is simpler.

Set your TT at a fixed setting that matches your SPL and pace target. e.g. TT of 1.3 and SPL of 20. This will give you a 25m swim time of approx 30s which would be 32 minute mile pace. Take 10 seconds rest between each length and see how many lengths in a row you can swim without dropping a stroke. This will also improve over the weeks.

Set yourself a goal of perhaps 30 lengths. If you can complete the task and maintain SPL over 30 lengths then you can take either the TT down a click or two, or SPL, or rest time.

These are simple examples that will allow you to get your heart rate up, get used to swimming with focus and will force you to maintain good (TI) form as you are not allowed to add strokes.

Let me know if you try them and they help
Andy.
Old 10-10-2012

Stu5
Default Good Effort!!

Hi Smat, I am an avid reader of this forum and have to say that it has helped me more than any other swimming forum. My aim was also to be able to swim a mile in a reasonable time.
In my opinion your time of 36m is NOT poor and it takes a considerable amount of dedication to be able to swim that well. If you look at an average swimming pool, I would bet that 95% of the swimmers that use that pool would love to swim like that.
Total Immersion should be aimed at all swimmers, and not just the regular forumites and club swimmers who talk about sub 1m 20 sec hundred metres. It tends to intimidate you and makes you think you dont belong on here!
I would love to swim a mile in sub 30m but holding down a job and having a busy life is making it extremely hard!!!
Stuart.
Old 10-10-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu5 View Post
Hi Smat, I am an avid reader of this forum and have to say that it has helped me more than any other swimming forum. My aim was also to be able to swim a mile in a reasonable time.
In my opinion your time of 36m is NOT poor and it takes a considerable amount of dedication to be able to swim that well. If you look at an average swimming pool, I would bet that 95% of the swimmers that use that pool would love to swim like that.
Total Immersion should be aimed at all swimmers, and not just the regular forumites and club swimmers who talk about sub 1m 20 sec hundred metres. It tends to intimidate you and makes you think you dont belong on here!
I would love to swim a mile in sub 30m but holding down a job and having a busy life is making it extremely hard!!!
Stuart.
Smat's goals are relative, he is a competitive minded firefighter who wants to swim faster than his friends colleagues who are currently a little ahead of him. So his 36 minutes isn't slow in absolute terms but it is relative to where he wants to be with respect to his friends and more puzzling to him where he was pre TI.

I made a comment to him last week that at 36 minutes he was 'stalling', that was relative to his ambition not my view on how fast fast is or how slow slow is.

thought that needed clearing up after your comment. thanks.
Old 10-10-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Andy, I knew you would have good input for SMAT. Nice way to create a competitive game for himself with penalties ...

Stu...Smat was also faster BEFORE he started TI lessons...has presumably improved his form, but is now looking to add his speed back.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 10-10-2012

Stu5

Andy and Suzanne, I take your points thankyou.
It is just frustrating sometimes when after a long time of hard work a 32 min mile (1600m) is deemed to be pretty slow in the swimming world.
For recreational swimmers I think it is a good standard to get to and you need to be a club or competitive swimmer to start to improve on that sort of time.
TI has helped me to get there but I too seem to have hit a ceiling and reckon it takes seriously hard work to improve.
Old 10-10-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu5 View Post
Andy and Suzanne, I take your points thankyou.
It is just frustrating sometimes when after a long time of hard work a 32 min mile (1600m) is deemed to be pretty slow in the swimming world.
For recreational swimmers I think it is a good standard to get to and you need to be a club or competitive swimmer to start to improve on that sort of time.
TI has helped me to get there but I too seem to have hit a ceiling and reckon it takes seriously hard work to improve.
It takes smart work to improve...it just depends what you mean by hard.

For some people training smart...slowing down and thinking is hard. For others hard means getting the heart rate up. takes a little bit of both, but not a lot of the latter which is a big misconception IMO among the tri world.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 10-11-2012

smat

Thanks again for your support. Already printed off your session Andy and as i am off next week .I can not wait to try . I do appreciate the time you put in to responding to my blog. Also thanks to you all who respond as i am not feeling alone in my quest to be a reasonable swimmer and for me - Andy is right- that means being in the mid 20s for 1500 . As i have said i was a 29 min 1500 swimmer before TI so with all the positive views i can not see why i can not get down to 25 for 1500. Feel as if it may take be a little longer to arrive there. I have a good TI mentor now and he introduced me to another TI swimmer who after 7 months has gone from 27min to 19 for 1500 . Want that to be me and he is older so there are no excuses for me.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by smat View Post
Thanks again for your support. Already printed off your session Andy and as i am off next week .I can not wait to try . I do appreciate the time you put in to responding to my blog. Also thanks to you all who respond as i am not feeling alone in my quest to be a reasonable swimmer and for me - Andy is right- that means being in the mid 20s for 1500 . As i have said i was a 29 min 1500 swimmer before TI so with all the positive views i can not see why i can not get down to 25 for 1500. Feel as if it may take be a little longer to arrive there. I have a good TI mentor now and he introduced me to another TI swimmer who after 7 months has gone from 27min to 19 for 1500 . Want that to be me and he is older so there are no excuses for me.

Thanks.
from doubt to optimism, excellent to read. Well done and good luck with the set.