Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddethb View Post
I'll ask the instructor to shoot me (so to speak). Funny how the Sr. Olympics doesn't include a 1500 Fly!
First make sure your instructor is not an NRA member before asking to be shot.

1500 fly?! I don't think anyone would survive to compete at the Senior level if they attempted a 1500 fly. The 200 seems quite a distance from my perspective. Actually, so does the 100. hehe
Old 12-02-2008
Coach

CoachDave
Default Easy now

Never underestimate a senior swimmer in any stroke. The same day i swam the English Channel the first time, a 70-year old named george Brunstead did it and came in just a few hours behind me.
And, on the subject of distance fly...only one person has done the Channel backstroke, but two have done it fly! With the right engine and technique, it can be a great endurance stroke.
Old 12-02-2008

ewa.swimmer
Default Qualifying for Senior Olympics

Although this is going a bit off topic...
I don't know how big your state qualifying meet is but if you take first, second, and maybe third (i'm not sure about 3rd) you qualify. The qualifying times are for those people who don't place in the top 3 but still have a time that is under the qualifying time.
That is why when you look at the results there are a lot of times a lot slower than the qualifying times.
I'm going to my first senior olympics next Aug. in 50 & 100 fly.
Old 12-02-2008

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
And, on the subject of distance fly...only one person has done the Channel backstroke, but two have done it fly! With the right engine and technique, it can be a great endurance stroke.
OMK! And I've been worried about my right arm breaking off just crossing the pool! Well, breaststroke used to wear me out, but now it's become easier. I'm expecting the fly to follow the same pattern. The English Channel...only if someone increases the water temperature.
Old 12-03-2008

Ross

There were two of us (myself included) swimming fly at an open water 5K this September. I think we were both 51 at the time. Neither of us won any speed medals though (more like 50 yards in 50-55 seconds).
Old 12-03-2008

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
There were two of us (myself included) swimming fly at an open water 5K this September. I think we were both 51 at the time. Neither of us won any speed medals though (more like 50 yards in 50-55 seconds).
That's amazing, not even considering age.
Old 12-03-2008

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Do you have to make any changes to the way you do the stroke in order to go those sorts of distances? Have you been videotaped doing it, by any chance? I've always been amazed at people who can do this!
Old 12-04-2008

Ross

Not really. I just slow down a lot and concentrate on stretching forward. I think TI calls it CMB(?), where I glide for a split second after reentry until my undulation starts my head upward.
Old 12-07-2008

Suddethb

Well, Thursday night I completed my last of 6 half hour sessions in my current level 3 swim class. My basic goal was to be able to Breast Stroke and Butterfly. At the middle of the class I set a new goal of swimming 1 mile in fly. Last Sunday I did reps with 1 butterfly lap, 1 freestyle lap and a breather and just kept on until I'd totaled 2 miles, i.e. 1 mile in each stroke during the workout. Took 1 hour and 26 minutes, but I got there. At the end of the final class, I did my own personal challenge exam. I did a 100yd IM for the first time ever! 1min 35 sec!

I've been a clutz in the pool all my life just playing around and never able to swim a lap worth a damn. 2 years ago I took my first serious class and learned to do the basics, and picked up the TI freestyle method. I quickly went to swimming about 4 miles a week in 2-3 sessions. The next summer I met a lifetime goal of earning the BSA Mile Swim Award (the previous year I barely passed the basic swim test!) This year, by adding the two additional strokes, I can now swim all 4 primary strokes, and am now considering trying for the BSA Lifeguard certification! This is such a transformation, I still can't believe it all! Wow...
Old 12-07-2008

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddethb View Post
Last Sunday I did reps with 1 butterfly lap, 1 freestyle lap and a breather and just kept on until I'd totaled 2 miles, i.e. 1 mile in each stroke during the workout. Took 1 hour and 26 minutes, but I got there. At the end of the final class, I did my own personal challenge exam. I did a 100yd IM for the first time ever! 1min 35 sec!
The distance of the fly amazes me.

Great job on the 100IM. Do you know all the different turns and breakouts?

Let me know when you do a 400IM. (I'm guessing it will take me 6-12 months to even do a 400IM. I can't see myself swimming a mile, especially using the fly.)