Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008

naj
Default Re: Resistance Stretching

I've been wanting to know more about resistance stretching and how it might loosen up my muscles more in order that I can fully utilize them in swimming. Not sure about the rest of you but I'm sightly less flexible than a pencil lol! So I came across this website and wanted to know if anyone else has done resistance stretching and the benefits and drawbacks with respect to it.
Old 11-27-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

I have the book (from my local library) and have read some of it, but I haven't worked on the stretches much. I've been side-tracked by two other books on blood pressure. If you search, you will find a video of Dara Torres doing similar stretches. Try some. Report back.
Old 11-28-2008
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

I have the book "Genius Flexibility", which I believe is one of the original books from the same group as this website. I have used a couple types of resistance stretching in my life and had excellent results. By resisting, I get more strength in the extreme range of motions and developed flexibility very quickly. When I first started my dance career at age 18, I developed a full split in 3 months using isometric contraction stretching. This movement based system seems to have other advantages. The only down side I have heard is that it should not be used with kids and adolescents. Some people say it could mess with the growth plates. I have not seen the science on this to know where the idea came from.

THis group adds concepts of personality effects. I don't know what to think about that, but I would recommend this system.
Old 11-28-2008

Rhoda

Is it possible to do this kind of stretching by yourself? From what I've seen of Dara Torres's program, it requires the help of other people.
Old 11-28-2008

naj

That's the question I wanted to have answered myself Rhoda. The reason that I'm interested in this sort of stretching is because I can't afford to hire someone. I hear you can do many of the stretches on your own is true...anyone have an idea?
Old 11-28-2008

kimswimflorida

I own this book and have tried a couple times to incorporate these stretches into my daily routine. i think the technique is completely valid and it borrows heavily from yoga in that often you are using your own weight to add to the stretch. it's my understanding that Torres relies heavily on this stuff to aid her recovery and, let's face it, she's no slouch!
sooooo, if you don't have the resources to get two people to stretch you for say, two hours a day--what to do? doing the stretches solo as demo'd in the book will definitely benefit you IF you have the discipline to DO them. i will openly admit i haven't been able to buckle down to it--however, every time i look through the book i think, "i should be doing this, dammit!"
regarding the changes in personality attributed to each stretch.....ummmm, yeah. i have a healthy respect for eastern approaches to energy and meridians, but mostly the idea of increasing my sex appeal by doing stretches makes me SMILE.
Old 11-28-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimswimflorida View Post
the idea of increasing my sex appeal by doing stretches makes me SMILE.
Well, there was this woman who would swim a little, then do a stretch that placed her foot up near her head. Some people might feel that that flexibility has some appeal. hehe I don't think my legs like to go beyond 90 degrees, though I can manage to touch the floor.

To answer the original question, yeah, there are a bunch of stretches in the book (there is also a video) that are done alone. If you find the video of Dara that I saw, she demonstrates stretches alone.

My goal for stretching is to gain the ability to bend backwards into a banana shape without sounding like I'm dying. That should help with streamlining and short-axis strokes.
Old 11-28-2008

naj

Thanks everyone I just got back from buying the book and I'll attempt to do the work, usually when I'm determined to do something I'll be consistent...However if you don't hear back from me with regards to this stretching assume that I'm curled up in a ball in my room in obvious pain lol :)
Old 01-02-2009

naj

Well heres an update on the resistance stretching. I've been doing them for about a week now (the beginning sequence) and have seem some improvement. I really do think this sort of thing takes time and although Bob Cooley (the author of The Genisus of Stretching) thinks otherwise, this is my first foray into any kind of serious stretching. Some stretches are easier than others for me and the ones taht area a challenging get more attention. But I'm gonna keep at it. I'll keep you all posted.