Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013

Richardsk
Default Congratulations to Coach Suzanne

Congratulations to Coach Suzanne on becoming a Butternut! Six hundred yards of fly in Lake Minnewaska.

To one who is still struggling to consistently produce a legal 50 meters that is indeed an epic feat.
Old 06-25-2013

CharlesCouturier

Great stuff Coach Sue!

What's this butternut thingy?
Old 06-25-2013

Richardsk

Hello Charles

The butternuts are a body of distance butterfly enthusiasts. To qualify you have to swim a continuous 500 yards (or I suppose meters) of legal butterfly. Obviously they are not Canadians because as far as I know nobody but the US believes in yards for swimming any more. I'm sure they'd accept a Canadian nut, though, so here is an entry form:

http://www.grinswim.org/butternut.pdf
Old 06-25-2013

CharlesCouturier

When I train for Fly, I almost exclusively swim the fly.

I warm up at fly, perform the main set at fly, and cool down at fly, session after session. And I never train the single arm (that drill is of no use to my stroke), and don't do much stuff other than swimming the full stroke.

I often book a kilo as a base endurance set.

I doubt that I could join the butternuts though, as I don't see myself asking around me for witnessing this etc.. That said I'm glad to hear about such a group, and even more glad to learn that Suzanne is part of it!!
Old 06-25-2013

Richardsk

Charles

You are obviously an honorary butternut already. As for myself, I have decided that it doesn't matter if I never manage to swim a proper, legal butterfly because I can enjoy doing sculling dolphin, one-arm fly and various other drills, and seem to be getting better at doing them, although the full stroke is still elusive. At the moment I seem to be able to either get my arms out of the water properly or breathe but not both. Perhaps it's just a matter of perseverance.
Old 06-26-2013

Grant

Hi Richard
My congratulations to Suzanne on 500 yd Fly in open water.
Richard, how did you find out about her swim. I checked the butternut website but they have not got her feat entered yet?
I see there is a guy 80 years old who has done it as well as further distances. In their guidelines they say no turns as one of the conditions yet many say they swam it in pool.
Must admit it is an interesting goal.
Also from one of your other posts you gave a link to a 50 year old swimmer who had this theory of swimming sprints in the first two years of the age group, middle distances for the third year and distance 1500,800 for the last two. Had not seen this before. Up till now I have been doing them all but this is worth consideration. The one negative I see is that if one has not done any sprinting for three years surely those times will suffer upon resuming the sprints.
Old 06-26-2013

Richardsk

Good morning Grant ( well, it's morning here anyway)

I found out about Suzanne's Butternut feat from Facebook. Suzanne is one of my TI Facebook friends.

As for the link you mention, I'm afraid I have forgotten it. Are you sure it was from me?

I suppose concentrating on middle and long distance towards the end of the age group would keep the aerobic fitness but I think it would be unwise to disregard sprinting if you have sprinter genes.

I don't think I have any sprint genes and for me basically everything over 50 meters is middle distance. Probably because of the kind of training I do my endurance for everything longer than 400 meters seems to have suffered this year, but I have high hopes of improving my times for the shorter distances in freestyle and backstroke. We shall see.
Old 06-26-2013

Grant

Apology to Suzanne. I mistakenly congratulated her on a 500 yard Fly. It should be 600. Even more impressive.
Today I did 500m warmup and then did the following. Continuous 20 25 m lengths of - push off from the edge, took 5 butterfly strokes and finished each length with free strokes. On the free strokes I used Charles's idea of using dolphin kicks. So I actually did 500m of continuous dolphin kick and about 250m of butterfly stroke. I kept the same rythum on the dolphin kicks just not as much amplitude on the free strokes. This actually felt very smooth and had the sense of the dolphin kick sending the piercing hand extending to its max into the water to the front. I was not winded at the end so am encouraged that over the summer I can achieve a 500m FLY. My time today was 12:41.
The plan is to do this twice a week and each week increase the fly stroke by one per length. So next week it will 6 and so on. When fresh I can cover 25m in 10 strokes but it slips to 12 as I tire. As I get to the higher stroke counts I may have to take more than a week at that weeks counts as there may be some plateaus ahead. Which TI has taught me to embrace.
The key is I believe relax, relax and then relax.
Also good luck to you Richard in your races this weekend. A fun time ahead for you.
Old 06-26-2013

Grant

[quote=Richardsk;40848]Good morning Grant ( well, it's morning here anyway)

As for the link you mention, I'm afraid I have forgotten it. Are you sure it was from me?

I can't find it now Richard. If I do I will send it. It is somewhere in this jumbled head of and at times hiding items do pop into memory room.
Old 06-26-2013

Richardsk

Hi Grant

I found the link in the testosterone thread. I had completely forgotten about it.
Off to bed now. Good night!