Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Less is More -- In Fly and Everything

New Blog "As soon as I tried to kick lighter and smaller in Fly I was in danger of crashing into the grill at the front of the Endless Pool. More lessons from experience."
http://www.swimwellblog.com/archives/1784/

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-16-2012

Richardsk

Hi Terry

Nice to have more fly input from you. Was that with dolphin or frog? I'm guessing dolphin because usually the knees have to bend in frog, but of course I may well be wrong.

My own fly efforts are somewhat in abeyance at the moment because I'm concentrating on Free and Back, but I intend to return to fly after early December when I have my last meet of the year.
Old 11-16-2012
Head Coach

Richard
That was dolphin. (The pic is obviously not from the Endless.)
We missed each other on my last visit, but I dropped in and left again with time only for coach training. I'll be back in late Feb through early March. I'll be speaking at a triathlon show in Surrey Mar 1-2-3 and we are aiming to schedule a Different Strokes workshop somewhere in the UK Mar 9-10. Perhaps on that visit we can finally meet.

My TI Story
Old 11-16-2012

Richardsk

Hi Terry

I thought it must be dolphin and I'm glad to hear you haven't utterly abandoned the dolphin as it is so useful in Back and Free and even slightly useful in Breast. Mine is pretty feeble but I'm hoping that if I keep working on it it will have benefits.

I was not able to make it to Windsor because of family commitments but I'm glad to hear that it went well and that you have new TI UK disciples. I remember Jai well as he assisted in the all strokes workshop I attended in 2007.

Your visit to the UK in March is also likely to clash with my schedule, as I will be swimming in the Welsh Open on March 9 and 10 (D.V. as they are always careful to say back home in Ireland, whether they believe in D. or not). Unless, of course you fancy fitting in a 1500 meters race in good company. The 1500 is on the Saturday, and I am hoping (and planning and training) to produce a best time. This time I will not attempt to do the 800 the next day, which turned out to be a mistake last year.
Old 11-17-2012
Head Coach

What means D.V.?

My TI Story
Old 11-17-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
What means D.V.?
Deo Volente? - God Willing.
Old 11-17-2012

CharlesCouturier

"Human swimmers are Energy Wasting Machines – converting as little as 3% of energy and power into forward motion. Thus out greatest and most accessible improvement opportunities will always come from saving energy rather than working to increase fitness or power." (T.Laughlin, 2012)

At fly, it is extremely difficult to use the brain to scan through the whole body searching for sources of drag resistance. The truth of the matter is that we produce so much of it whilst flying that it makes the task of wondering by feeling very very difficult.
Old 11-17-2012

Richardsk

Yes. D.V. means Deo Volente and just about everybody in Ireland uses it, or used to when I was young anyway. "With the help of God" is also frequently heard. Belief in a deity is not necessarily implied, but awareness of the uncertainty of the future is. A lot could happen between now and March 9, 2013.
Old 11-18-2012

scr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
At fly, it is extremely difficult to use the brain to scan through the whole body searching for sources of drag resistance. The truth of the matter is that we produce so much of it whilst flying that it makes the task of wondering by feeling very very difficult.
Recently I am able to tune my form into the slowest speed which I swim comfortably for a long distance. Then I can play with variation between legs and arms movement. It takes me three years from the beginning to a stable base form.

A large dolphin kick can send my shoulder high above water. A small kick drives my shoulder just high enough, only half shoulder above water, for a clear recovery of arms. I feel that the small kick has a faster speed with lower energy consumption.

John

Last edited by scr : 11-18-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2012
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
A small kick drives my shoulder just high enough, only half shoulder above water, for a clear recovery of arms.
Selective--yea stingy--application of energy and power. Smart swimmer. As for the 3-years to stability. The longer it takes us to learn a lesson or skill, the more firmly we hold it. I'm in Year Ten of a 2BK project and I think this year I've had my most significant breakthrough. I've enjoyed every minute.

My TI Story