Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012

Richardsk

Hi tab

Yes, one-arm fly is fun, but unfortunately you can't swim it in a race (unless you only have one arm, when you would get a dispensation). Breaststroke arms and fly legs is also a likeable drill, but to be avoided in a breaststroke race. I am having most value these days from a drill I found on the Internet called slow motion fly (or actually slo mo butterfly). It is very similar to Terry's water angels drill on the Better Fly for Everybody DVD, which I recommend if you haven't got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5mk11WXVXw

My dolphin kick is very weak and probably my timing is not good either so I have difficulty getting both arms cleanly out of the water. Perhaps just doing it will eventually produce a good result.

I think I'm now on the right track.
Old 03-20-2012

Richardsk

I have to report that I have now successfully(?) swum a 200m IM LC. I first swam it at the South East Region Open Masters Meet at K2 Crawley in Sussex but was disqualified after a bad dive and several non-standard arm movements. This time, at the Welsh Open Masters meet in Swansea, I opted to start in the water to avoid any possibility of a bad dive ruining everything and was pleased that my strange stroke was regarded as legal. Although the butterfly leg was considerably slower at Swansea, probably because I opted to swim it all with dolphin kick rather than alternating frog and dolphin, and the overall time was slower, the splits for backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle were actually all faster at Swansea, which gives me hope that when I have sorted out a better and faster fly there is considerable scope for improvement. On to the 400 IM next but perhaps not this year.

At least I now have an official time for 100m IM SC and 200 IM LC for this year.

I will post a report on the Welsh Open Masters in teh Racing forum in due course. Tomorrow perhaps.

There's a joke back home about an American linguist who wanted to know if there was any word in Irish that corresponded roughly to the Mexican manana. He consulted an eminent Irish professor who told him that were indeed several expressions but "none with quite that sense of urgency".

Last edited by Richardsk : 03-20-2012 at 12:32 AM.