Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Backstroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009

vol
Default TI backstroke?

Hi, I've been learning TI freestyle and can tell some difference between TI and other freestyle patterns, but what characterizes TI backstroke? How does it differ from others? I'm eager to know!
Old 02-21-2009

Jamwhite

In my opinion, TI does not really "differ" in swimming itself, because the goal of TI is to teach everyone to swim well. "Swimming well" is available to everyone and is reached by dozens of non-TI coachs and easily seen in major swimming events.

The importance of TI, as I see it, is the philosophy through its set of principles and their application how to train to be the best swimmer you can be. By breaking swimming down in the component parts of elimination and propulsion, with elimination the more important Terry proceeds to provide the principles that make elimination effective including relaxation, balance, long-bodies, and core body movement. All four competitive strokes are taught with this philosophy.

So TI backstroke teaches how to balance while on your side, how to time the arms to have a patient catch, and how to engage the core muscles with a connected shoulder movement attached to core muscle rotation.

The Backstroke video can be found here: http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...every-body.html, and the book for all four strokes is here: http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...-imagined.html.
Old 02-22-2009

vol

Thank you very much for the explanations. Makes sense.
Old 02-22-2009

nadarbem

TI backstroke shouldn't differ much from TI freestyle in concepts and progressions. Quite similar in my point of view.
Regards

Joćo