Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009

naj
Default Wetsuits and Goggles

Is there a difference between googles for the pool and ones for the open water? I'm curious to know. Also, does anyone have a wetsuit from this company I'm looking into getting one for the open water swim group I'll be joining. Any valuable information would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Is there a difference between googles for the pool and ones for the open water?
My guess is that open water goggles should be tinted to protect against the sun glaring off the surface of the water. Peripheral vision might be more important so you could avoid running into other people or sight landmarks, so a larger or wider lense might be nice.

Laughlin Sensei seems to like the Aqua Sphere Seal mask.

(I sold my Seal mask, but I only swim in a short course pool. The last two pairs of goggles I bought were Aqua Sphere Kaiman goggles, dark tinted. They give me good peripheral vision and they're comfortable. If I ever learn to swim fast and with intensity, I might want smaller goggles though.)
Old 01-23-2009

Rhoda

A lot of people like those Seal Mask type goggles for open water. I couldn't get on with them myself - I just use the same goggles that I use in the pool, but with a dark lens instead of clear.
Old 01-23-2009
Coach

CoachGaryS
Default Wetsuits and Goggles

I bought and used the 2007 model of the BlueSeventy Helix in a 3km cold water swim in Sweden last summer. It was really great, and I would recommend this as probably the best wetsuit for TI swimming. The technology used in these suits allows for the relatively free movement of the arms, which is critical. I did notice that the majority of the fastest swimmers all seemed to be using BlueSeventy.

Wetsuits change your body position quite radically, and it is necessary to adapt your stroke to some extent to allow for this. So don't do any racing without a lot of practice beforehand in your wetsuit.
Old 01-25-2009

naj

Thank you to all three of you this is the kind of information I wanted. Shuumai, that makes a lot of sense about the tinted goggles. I'm with you Rhoda, I've seen the seal ones but didn't much care for them either. I have hydro specs from Speedo and they are tinted so I'll give those a whirl for now.

Coach Gary, the Helix was the one I tried on at Sports Basement and really liked. The sales clerk is a triathlete and loves swimming in OW and swears by this suit as well. It felt great on and your right I'm gonna need practice to get use to it, but since I live in the San Francisco Bay Area a suit is a requirement more than a luxury, so I'll get plenty of practice.