Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2009

naj
Default Coaching Clinics

I know at the present there are none but I'm curious if anyone in this forum -- besides myself -- is looking into being a TI instructor?

I've corresponded with Terry on this issue via email and he knows my desire to do so. In my particular case I want to impart TI skills to low income African American and Latino youth.

Back when I was a kid I wish we had somehting like TI around. Where I grew up Black and Latino kids were discouraged from learning to swim with the old lines like: "Go play basketball or soccer that's what you guys know how to do"

Oh well, thats life...but since I now do know how to swim and swim with effiency (spelling) I'm hoping to impart those skills onto the youth of today. Anyone else thought about doing the coaching clinics when they become available again?
Old 01-18-2009

AWP

I think about it all the time. I think I was 'ready' after the first year. I now know better : ) but still carry a very strong inclination to achieve this. I feel ever so close to achieving the competency I want to have going in, wanting to experience an OW event or race ( or several of each ) to gain insights I've only now been reading about to round off my competency. All said it boils down, for me, to a financial/family matter. Any TI scholarships out there?

Great idea you have there naj, admirable. I secretly think of doing the same in my small 'city' or perhaps changing the way swim lessons are approached at my local Y (knowing the Director and Regional Director well :) ). At least perhaps offering an alternative to all ages in a more public venue. Spearheading something like that with Terry would be a dream.
Old 01-18-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

The statistics say that "minorities" are a lot more likely to drown, especially males, than "non-minorities." More generally, children from non-swimming households are 8 times more likely to drown. Swim lessons need to be more available, encouraged, affordable or free, and role models need to exist.

Role models... let's see... there is... Cullen Jones!

As far as giving lessons go, if you can swim at all, I'd say you are qualified to help someone who can't swim at all. Especially children because they don't always follow instructions anyway and naturally play in the water once comfortable. Just find a pool or lake and a kid who wants to learn. Maybe small groups would be better because kids draw on other kids enthusiasm.

As a parent, I'd feel more comfortable if the instructor had lifeguard certification. At least CPR certification.

BTW, I watched the movie "Pride" recently. Based on a true story about a swim coach in Philadelphia who assembles an all-black swim team in the 1970's. Good movie. Sometimes predictable. But the spirit of this kind of movie always affects me. (Another good swim movie is "Swimming Upstream" about two Australian brothers who...swim.)
Old 01-18-2009

shuumai

AWP, choose any Rocky movie and watch it. After you have, you'll be ready to instruct. hehe
Old 01-19-2009

naj

Thanks you guys and yes your right Shuumai, people of color are more likely to drown than those of European origin. This is an acute problem in the Global South and of course in the States. Your also right on another matter, Cullen Jones is amazing and is considered the fastest swimmer in the 50mm if I'm not mistaken. His girlfriend, Maritza Corriea, was the first Black woman to medal in the Olympics (I believe in Athens),

Jim Ellis is the one the movie "Pride" is based on and there is a 50 year old African American Swim club called The Nile Swim Club that has been doing the job long before me.

All I can say is that I want to contribute what I've learned. Its such a great feeling to get in the water and feel like your gliding along without much effort and I have Terry -- and the folks that helped him refine the TI method -- to thank for that.

So come on Terry lets get another clinic going! I'm chomping at the bit lol! Any way its nice to know others have this desire too. Even if the clinic is expensive (and for me it would be) I've promised myself that I won't charge someone who can't afford it or really wants to learn, its too important not to know how to swim.

Peace in the pool, lake or ocean!
Naji
Old 01-19-2009

shuumai

I still don't understand the need for a clinic before getting started. Look at job adverts for swim instructors and see what the typical requirements are. The good news is you don't have to match the requirements if you teach privately anyway.

Here's a possible scenario where I live: My apartment "community" has an outdoor pool. Membership for a family costs around $100-120 for the summer. Members can buy passes for friends for $3-5, I think. I could advertise low cost lessons in the public laundry rooms and/or in the news letter that comes out every month or two. The cost per session could be as low as $5, just to cover the cost of the pass.

Basic training only needs to cover comfort and survival in water. Everything after that is refinement. On YouTube, look for examples of baby survival training as an example.

It's very possible for a student to exceed the ability of the coach. In fact, the Olympics wouldn't be what they are without that being true. So how much better do you need to become before you get started?
Old 01-19-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

[quote=naj;1348]Thanks you guys and yes your right Shuumai, people of color are more likely to drown than those of European origin. This is an acute problem in the Global South and of course in the States. Your also right on another matter, Cullen Jones is amazing and is considered the fastest swimmer in the 50mm if I'm not mistaken. His girlfriend, Maritza Corriea, was the first Black woman to medal in the Olympics (I believe in Athens),

Eamon Sullivan of Australia is the fastest man over 50 and 100 meters freestyle. Cullen Jones is the American record holder in the 50. I spoke with his coach David Marsh back in Nov.

Marsh told a group of us that he is going to change Cullen's stroke to be less "high elbow" and more of what he calls an "open stroke" so that he can tie into his power source(core area) better.

Marsh said Cullen is really strong over all body but needs to have a better connection with his body and swim stroke, so he plans to alter the stroke to give him more speed, esp. for the 100, where he is usually not out quick enough on the 1st 50.
Old 01-19-2009

shuumai

Speaking of Cullen Jones, my son and I were introduced to swimming in a similar way. We were at a water park and our float/sled thing flipped over. My son couldn't swim and neither could I, although I could just stand. My son was really upset about it, even though his survival instinct kicked in and he was able to float face down without inhaling water. Of course, my thoughts were that one day my son could be in a truly dangerous situation and I might not be able to save him, even if I give my own life. The solution was obvious.

One difference is that I, not my son, have been swimming ever since.

I have a scan of a very old news paper clipping about two brothers who drowned. Neither could swim, but the second brother attempted to save the first brother from drowning. The story said they slipped below the surface together and never came up again. Honourable and a touching story, but I didn't want it to be *my* story as well!
Old 01-20-2009

naj

"I still don't understand the need for a clinic before getting started. Look at job adverts for swim instructors and see what the typical requirements are. The good news is you don't have to match the requirements if you teach privately anyway."

With all due respet Shuumai, a lot of the private teachers are why the majority of us ended up getting into TI. For many, they stated that they felt they weren't getting better due to unknown reasons, but when they started swimming the TI way it really changed the way they swam.

The second point I'd like to make is not everyone can just advertise and end up teaching others on the spot to swim with confidence and with efficiency. For instance, I speak six languages fluently but I wouldn't even think to begin to teach someone how to speak Arabic -- even though I can -- I'm not well versed on explaining grammer, conjugation etc. Because I feel that learning from those that actually teach and teach in a creative and life-changing way is not something I feel I can do on my own, the same goes with swimming.

Thirdly, I feel its good that one be an apprentice in a TI swimming way (which I think you do after the clinic is concluded). What would it hurt to learn from those who have been doing it much longer than myself both with practical teaching skills and creative ones to match each clients individual needs?

Don't get me wrong Shuumai, I have no doubt you could be a great coach on your own, judging from your knowledge of swimming and TI swimming at that, but for me this would be the wiser way to go, as I'm sure for many others, though not necessarily all.

Thanks Again for the comments this is a grat thread!
Old 01-20-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Naj in SAn Fran...

I think I know who is on the other end of this subject thread!

As Naj knows, I've been involved in a ywca and USA Swimming campaign on the issue of communities of color in aquatic sports, both raising awareness of the main problems and funds to combat these problems. It's going to take time, but enthusiastic models of swimmers who take on challenges like swimming beyond their youth are great role models. Look for the USA Swimming "Make a Splash" campaign to find out more.

I cannot stress enough the need and importance of proper coach training. There are many halfway decent programs out there, but they still only go halfway. Many students get a lot of good from the books and DVDs, then come to a workshop to find that a big piece or two are still missing from their stroke. In many cases, runners pick up TI, find it makes their swimming easier, then start a tri program teaching what worked for them as the real deal. There are many intricacies and subtle adjustments beyond the basic theory of stroke development that one learns in instructor training, along with special attention an instructor will need to offer specific types of athletes. Video analysis, clinic direction, small group adjustments, etc etc. I consider the weeklong training I got from Ti to be a huge step in my teaching and coaching career, and don't think I could offer the programs I do without it.