Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011

haschu33

I originally started out to learn freestyle because I wanted to be able to do some physical exercise as my knee usually hurts when I try to do running. Besides I find running extremely boring... And I need to do something for physical exercise. And I always liked to be in the water.

My original goal was to be able to swim 1500m freestyle - non-stop of course. I could do that swimming breaststroke, but that also is boring. And (sorry to the enthusiastic breaststrokers) it misses a certain element of effortless elegance.
So the goal is still on the list.

Since I progressed quite much through the TI path (relatively speaking, of course ;-), and see a high potential in the stroke I learned, I add some refinements to my goals:

- Swimming the 1500m in less than 30 min (actually in less than 27 minutes but I am too shy to say that)
- Swimming 100 m in less than 1:15, at least once
- Learn a decent open turn
- Learn a wonderfull flip turn

Not that the times are really important, but they add a special fun-factor to the game. And a prove, that something worked out. Particularly the second time has a high 'fun' potential, meaning that comparing to my current status it seems to be a bit silly to even think of it. But we will see, you never know. As I said, there might be some potential...

Regarding 'higher goals' - whatever is meant by that, it is obviously something not directly related to swimming, but something that aims beyond that. Something like getting enlightened through swimming, I guess :-))

I do have heavy 'higher goals' in my mind and on my 'strive-for list', but I don't use swimming to aim for that. Might be that swimming might unwittingly contribute though, you never know...

So I expect it to be an exciting year. Swimming-wise and other-wise.

Hang on in there...

Last edited by haschu33 : 01-07-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2011

splashingpat
Default the search, the find, the catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
I originally started out to learn freestyle because I wanted to be able to do some physical exercise as my knee usually hurts when I try to do running. Besides I find running extremely boring... And
I need to do something for physical exercise. And
I always liked to be in the water.

My original goal was to be able to swim 1500m freestyle - non-stop of course. I could do that swimming breaststroke, but that also is boring.
And (sorry to the enthusiastic breaststroke-rs)
it misses a certain element of effortless elegance.
So the goal is still on the list.

Since I progressed quite much through the TI path
(relatively speaking, of course ;-), and see a high potential in the stroke
I learned, I add some refinements to my goals:

- Swimming the 1500m in less than 30 min (actually in less than 27 minutes but I am too shy to say that)
- Swimming 100 m in less than 1:15, at least once
- Learn a decent open turn
- Learn a wonderful flip turn

Not that the times are really important, but they add a special fun-factor to the game. And a prove, that something worked out. Particularly the second time has a high 'fun' potential, meaning that comparing to my current status it seems to be a bit silly to even think of it. But we will see, you never know. As I said, there might be some potential...

Regarding 'higher goals' - whatever is meant by that, it is obviously something not directly related to swimming, but something that aims beyond that. Something like getting enlightened through swimming, I guess :-))

I do have heavy 'higher goals' in my mind and on my 'strive-for list', but I don't use swimming to aim for that. Might be that swimming might unwittingly contribute though, you never know...

So I expect it to be an exciting year. Swimming-wise and other-wise.

Hang on in there...
I am kinda bored with swimming...
I guess I need to up the ante and get a music device...
I guess that's why I turned to dancing!

but since I can swim (the requirements for life guarding)
I am being challenged by the choreography of dancing
instead of the choreography of swimming (for a while)

until I find somebody interesting enuf!
I haven't found him here...
;)
Old 01-07-2011

yann

Hi all,

My 2011 goals
1. Freestyle: 15 SPL for 100m (currently 19), patient grip, swim longer distance with the same peace, improve my 2 beat kick
Tools: Perpetual Motion Freestyle in 10 Lessons DVD, Tempo trainer, Six Week Intermediate Freestyle Stroke Efficiency Program (3rd time), Extraordinary swimming for every body (for reference)

2. Backstroke: learn it, establish my SPL range
Tools: Backstroke for every body, Extraordinary swimming for every body (for reference)

3. Breaststroke: constantly look down when breathing, add more dolphin sculling in my stroke
Tools: Breaststroke for every body, Extraordinary swimming for every body (for reference)

4. Learning TI swimming awoke a great motivation, and I felt feelings I already felt when practicing Karate in my youth. Now I'm experiencing this in swimming, I'd like to spread it to other part of my life.
For that I bought several books mentioned by Terry in his blog last year:
Mastery (Plume), Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, The Happiness Hypothesis

5. Improve flexibility
Tools: Yoga for Swimming and More, Pilates DVD

I must say I do not organize my objectives yearly, but rather by quarter. At the end of a quarter I want to have improved significantly an aspect of a stroke. So during the first quarter of 2011, I'm going to work on learning backstroke, and improving my freestyle 2-beat kick. After that and the reading the books, other desire will emerged.

To summarize using Terry's guidelines

1) the range of goals people on this forum have set for 2011
Learn backstroke, improve freestyle & breaststroke, learn more about motivation to spread to other area of my life.

2) how specific or general they are,
I set general goal in advance (global thoughts at the beginning of the year, more precise at the beginning of every quarter.

3) what motivates you to pursue the particular goal
I'd like to reach a technical level that can help me to swim effortlessly with some aesthetic. Otherwise the feelings motivate: I feel well in the pool.

4) to what extent you have linked that goal to a 'higher purpose'
I'd like to use the effort less principle in other area in my life.

5) what sort of strategies you've developed to pursue your goal
I swim between 4 and 5 times a week. This avoid me to wonder if I should go or not. I go because I go to the swimming pool every (working) day. Then I use my quarterly goal as a primary purpose.
For fine goal, I review TI DVD, books and forum seeking for something I'd like to be able to do.
For example, I when I (re)read the patient catch paragraph of "Extraordinary swimming for every body" (p.38) and get really motivated to feel "the water felt thick in a way it never had before" or "trapping and wrapping the water before stroking". Then I thought "would it be great if you could feel something like that". Result: my motivation is up, I get a clear purpose when I go to the pool.

6) how you plan to measure progress
I always add quantitative goal to my set of goals (like SPL). But as I'm in the beginning of technique learning, it is easy for now to find goal to reach in 3 months that are indisputable and significant.

Last edited by yann : 01-08-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: To summarize using Terry's guidelines
Old 01-08-2011

johnny.widen

I was a competitive swimmer some 45 years ago and took up swimming again August 2004 only for fitness. When I timed myself after some months of training I got really depressed and after that I have very seldom swum against the clock. I couldn't really accept that I was so much faster when I was young. I am now 62, i.e., in the same Master class as Terry. :-)

Last year I discovered open water swimming, trained for that and in the summer I swam 3 km test race for the upcoming Luleň Midnight Swim and 3 km competition in Vansbro, mostly for fun and the pleasure of doing it and also to having it done. Vansbro swimming is well known in Sweden and part of the Swedish Classic http://www.ensvenskklassiker.se. However, this made my competitive spirit come alive and I decided to do better results this year. My initial plan was to start traditional training with the Master's team. Fortunately I discovered Total Immersion Swimming in September and fell completely for its ideas.

My overall goal for 2011 is to be healthy and feel good. My general motto is to exercise in the small, meaning to use my own body for transportation whenever it is an alternative. Walk or bike instead of using the car. Use the steps instead of the elevator when staying at a hotel (an exception was when I was staying at a hotel in Atlanta on the 43rd floor ;-)

Swimming
My main goals right now is to get 'good results' in
- Luleň Midnight Swim Classic 1.5 km and 3 km: http://www.luleamidnightswim.com/
- Vansbro 3 km: http://www.vansbrosimningen.se/
Since I am quite new to TI, I will have to do some more practicing and evaluation of my advances with the new technique before a quantize
'good results'. Right now I don't know where I am standing. My quantitative goals will primarily be relative to myself, i.e., some specific time, and not relative to others, i.e., some specific rank in a race.

Cross-country skiing, classical and skate
Continue with cross-country skiing, where I right now is practicing classical style, but my goal is to get in good shape to enjoy longer ski skating trips with and without my dog (turning 13 in March) on the crusted snow on the ice in March-April. This I consider as real life quality. As my daughter said last year when we were ski skating with the dogs on the white crust with the sun shining from a cloud free sky and could inhale brisk and clear air: "Pa, this is life!!"

Ice skating
Do some ice-skating on the course that partly is similar to the Luleň Midnight Swim course.
http://www.aurorum.se/images/18.713d...+-+isbanan.jpg

Workout for strength and/or Pilates
Do some workout to increase my strength. However, I am not sure how I should do this. In another thread I wrote something like:
"I've been reading Terry's interesting chapters in the upcoming book and his recent blogs it seems like the best training is by various series of full stroke swimming. Now I am wondering wether it is recommendable to do complementary training like weight lifting? Last year I got a training program from our university fitness coach, when I asked him for some exercises tuned for swimming. By, various reasons I haven't used that program for a lengthy period and I now wonder if it is time to start over using it to prepare for next years challenges. It is weight lifting done with modern training machines.
I also used to do Pilates and I recently read the Therese Alshammar changed her training from weight lifting to Pilates and that she thought that was one of the secrets behind her recent success."

Maybe I can get some advices here.

Running and walking
During the summer do some running and walking in the woods, with and without the dog. For pleasure and for fitness.

Kayaking
Build a Greenland paddle
http://www.outdoorplace.org/paddling...es/Paddles.htm
and develop a Greenland technique to adopt a TI like attitude towards paddling
http://www.thomassondesign.com/paddl..._paddling.aspx

To summarize using Terry's guidelines

1) the range of goals people on this forum have set for 2011
Good performance in the Luleň and Vansbro open water races.

2) how specific or general they are,
To achieve good results to be quantized into times.

3) what motivates you to pursue the particular goal
I like swimming and want to develop a good technique to support better results.

4) to what extent you have linked that goal to a 'higher purpose'
- "Swim well and live well". ;)
- Improve my swimming to be able to get enjoyable moments of exercise to sustain my feeling of still being young.

5) what sort of strategies you've developed to pursue your goal
- Improve my swim technique and my general fitness through swimming, skiing, running, etc.
- Adopt ideas presented in Grant Molyneux, Effortless Exercise, http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...-exercise.html

6) how you plan to measure progress
By timing, my feeling while swimming and my feeling afterwards.

-- Johnny
Old 01-08-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
SOnly have one LCM meet this year and it is in March so time is compressing.
Grant, when and where is your LCM meet? I have tentative plans to swim Canadian Nationals in Montreal May 20-23(?) because it's LC and because it's an easy drive, and as an excuse to visit Mntrl.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 01-08-2011
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashingpat View Post
I guess I need to up the ante and get a music device...
;)
If by 'up the ante' you mean spending some money you haven't yet spent - to acquire said music device - I suppose you will have upped it.

My sense is that most people on the Forum would use the phrase to suggest pursuing more engagement with swimming, rather than less.

People at the gym watch tv and read mags while on the treadmill or cycle or elliptical. That's known as disassociation. They don't know what Flow means and therefore don't pursue it.

Flow starts with deep engagement with what you're doing. From Focal Points. Or Stroke Counts. Or Tempo. Or any combination thereof.

So perhaps an appropriate goal, if you're committed to TI Practice, would be to pursue engagement. When you do, I suspect you will no longer feel 'kinda bored with swimming.'

My TI Story
Old 01-08-2011

Rhoda

My main goal is to swim more often. With the move, the new job, and living farther from a pool, I haven't had as much time to put into swimming as I'd like. I'm only now starting to get that smooth effortless feeling back, with my stroke count starting to go back to where it was - still not quite there yet.
My goals are:
- To get back to where I was in 2009.
- Improve from there.
- Continue with the flip turns - they're getting easier
- Do the 4k distance at Sasamat Lake on July 1.
I'm also planning to sign up for a beginner triathlon class at the YWCA. I don't have a burning desire to do a triathlon, but it's another way to meet new people and maybe find some open water swimming partners. No-one in the masters swim club seems to have much interest in open water.
I also plan to volunteer for some sports events, especially with the canoe and kayak club. I have an idea brewing at the back of my mind to one day organize an open water race, so it will help to have lots of favors to call in when it comes to getting volunteers for it. :)
Old 01-08-2011

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Grant, when and where is your LCM meet? I have tentative plans to swim Canadian Nationals in Montreal May 20-23(?) because it's LC and because it's an easy drive, and as an excuse to visit Mntrl.
Hi Terry: Am sorry I wont be there as it is on the other side of the country and we dont do long trips now.
My LC meet is in Victoria at the Commonwealth Pool on March 12/2011. Here is a link for the meet package http://www.msabc.ca/meets/2011/2011Victoria.pdf
As you can see it has a 400 and 800m race. Would be great if you were out on the west coast and could swim in it.
Good luck in Montreal. It is a great city to visit.
Old 01-18-2011
Head Coach

Default Goals that Change Lives

Today's blog describes why the highest purpose of goals is not just to change your stroke count or time, but to change your life.

My TI Story
Old 01-18-2011

folsb60
Default open water swim

hi terry, i'm new to lap swimming. i've been training in a 25 meter pool since september.i try to train three times weekly, but sometimes only have time for 2 sessions. my goal is to do an open water swim next august. it's an 8 mile swim.to qualify, i must complete another , shorter open water swim in the meantime. i am starting to look into one of those now. i've seen some of your training tip videos and have been trying to stay conscious of my form and positioning while swimming although i still don't breathe comfortably to the left, but i will keep trying.i have increased my distance from 1 mile in october to 2 miles in december and within the last week , i did 3 miles.i cannot swim 3 miles comfortably yet, but will continue to train until i can, and then continue challenging myself with furthur distance. do you think i am on the right course trainingwise? is this a realistic goal?i would really love to make it happen.have thought about it for years but only now started doing something about it. also, i have a freind who is also training for the same event. ours is a freindly competition which motivates us both to strive for further distances and times. any advice would be welcome.