Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010
Coach

CoachJohnB
Default Denis Pankratov

This is a video from the 96 olympics. I had the opporunity to see Pankratov swim at the games.

He has/had one of the smoothiest fly strokes I have ever seen. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAOOAoOhFU
Old 09-10-2010

Grant

Thanks for the video. I have been torn between breathing to the side or straight ahead. After watching this it gives me more evidence that one can get a breath by going to the side with less up and down (shallower sine wave) than beathing looking straight forward.
About five years back I worked on that style but let go of it as most everyone was looking straight ahead. Going to take another look at beathing to the side. Breathing to the right side feels so easy. In terms of racing I dont think one has to be concerned about developing in my case the left side ease. Opinions?
My we swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Old 10-02-2010

Grant

For anyone who wants to learn the Butterfly stroke I would strongly recommend TI's DVD Betterfly for Every Body. Terry lays out a sequence of drills (is this surprising) that leeds one into an easy fly stroke.
May we all swim with ease at the speed we choose.
Old 10-03-2010

Richardsk

So far success has not come to me in butterfly, although I have manged to swim a couple of 50m short course races without being DQ'd ( for "arms not brought forward together over the water").

I do a fair bit of breaststroke arms with fly kick and some one-arm fly but with two arms I have difficulty getting both arms out of the water.

I also do the old stoneskipper drill and sometimes the four-kick fly.

For the moment I have decided to devote more effort to trying to improve my backstroke.

Perhaps a completely kickless fly would be a starting point. I have tried this with backstroke. It's too early to say whether it's working yet.
Old 10-03-2010

Richardsk

Pat

Yes I do think it's possible to learn new skills at any age, even the butterfly. Although I still wouldn't really claim to be able to swim fly, I have finished a few races, which is more than I could have done a few years ago before I discovered TI and was inspired by Terry's book to join a masters club.

I also think it is possible to lose weight and to some extent change your body composition at any age, although the older you are the harder it is, I think, because you have to fight the age-related loss of muscle, gain of adipose tissue (particularly visceral fat), and age-related loss of lung power. In addition to swimming, which is probably nearly ideal, I think one needs some weight bearing exercise, such as running or walking, skiing, cycling or resistance exercise with weights or body weight.

Diet is probably the least important component if you are getting enough exercise, but finding the right diet for health and fitness and sticking to it will pay dividends.

Spending too much time sitting in front of a computer chatting about swimming is no doubt counter-productive. ;-)
Old 10-03-2010

haschu33

Richard,

I read about several studies that suggest that:

- there is no age related loss of muscles
- there is no age related increase in stored fat
- there is no age related sickness

I can try to find more details, if you are interested.
Old 10-03-2010

Richardsk

Yes, haschu33, I would be interested. If it isn't directly age-related I suppose it must be related to the behavior of aging persons. In other words, if you get up off your backside and do something it won't happen.

Correct?
Old 10-06-2010

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Yes, haschu33, I would be interested. If it isn't directly age-related I suppose it must be related to the behavior of aging persons. In other words, if you get up off your backside and do something it won't happen.

Correct?
I opened a thread in the 'Swim your way to health forum' to answer this.
Here
Old 04-25-2011

Vadim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
This is a video from the 96 olympics. I had the opporunity to see Pankratov swim at the games.

He has/had one of the smoothiest fly strokes I have ever seen. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAOOAoOhFU
That was not smooth! Believe me! He had been trained so hard you can`t even imagine. Look at him closely he doesn`t look relaxed even for a moment. And I know it because when I studied at the university they told us exactly how he had been trained and why he survived. They told him that he had to work very hard to be able to maintain the technique to swim fast. It sound absurd, doesn`t it? It is the technique that should help you not to loose speed and not to loose energy. Am I right?
In the history of swimming in Russia was another swimmer who had been trained the same way. It`s Salnikov. He was the first one who went under 15 min. in 1500 free. Even now there are not so many swimmers who can do that.
The secret was - both of them genetically have more than 90% aerobic slow muscular fibers. So they genetically can generate mach les lactate then any average human. It was a selection and very hard training but it was not a technique. They are survivors.
The first one in Russia who had been taught to relax and use the technique was Popov. Popov and Pankratov were in the same team, but the training programs were completely different.

Last edited by Vadim : 04-27-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I have been torn between breathing to the side or straight ahead. After watching this it gives me more evidence that one can get a breath by going to the side with less up and down (shallower sine wave) than beathing looking straight forward.
I'm not the least bit torn. The rationale for breathing to the side is that it minimizes one's need to move the head up-and-down.

However I feel unequivocally that moving the head sideways in Fly is equally bad as moving it up and down. The cost of either is in moving 8 percent of body mass in a direction other than one's intended direction of travel. It diverts precious momentum -- and requires some form of compensation.

Pankratov and a few others were able to manage that compensation skillfully -- because they are preternaturally gifted athletes. The rest of us - lacking the gifts that allow one to be an Olympic medalist - are highly unlikely to be able to emulate their success at compensating.

And really, learning a sneaky breath -- breathing to the front while eliminating the up-and-down movement of the head - makes it utterly unnecessary to mess around with side breathing -- a Long Axis head movement mixed up with Short Axis body motion.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story