Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
Polyester lasts a long time, but it does eventually wear out. I've got a Chloroblock suit that I used for about 2 years before consigning it to the "under something else" pile. Mind you, it was mostly the lining - some kind of non-lycra nylon interlock knit - that gave out first. I'm presently swimming in a suit made entirely out of Chloroblock, in part because I had some in hideous Pepto-Bismol pink left over from a rash shirt project and just wanted to use it up. (I make my suits)
I got the two years from salt-water pools, so it's possible they don't last as well in chlorinated water, but I'm guessing it's either you getting leaner or the lining relaxing faster than the suit. Still, if you want to get maximum wear, just rinse it and squeeze it dry with a towel or swim chamois instead of using the spinner.
My suit is about 3 months old now. Used at least 3 days a week. Yeah, I usually just squeeze the excess water out of it and roll it in a towel. Dries fast.

Hmm...do you sew your suits or just dye them?
Old 12-30-2008

AWP

[quote=shuumai;1012]My suit is about 3 months old now. Used at least 3 days a week. Yeah, I usually just squeeze the excess water out of it and roll it in a towel. Dries fast.

Are you thoroughly rinsing the suit in warm fresh water after your swim?
You can't rinse it enough in my opinion ( or any of your gear for that matter, chlorine loves to 'eat'). Be sure not to leave it in a towel as any residule chlorine may continue to eat away at the suit. Let it air dry. The suit should last longer than 3 months but will 'loosen' some as mentioned; usually the band and lining. I use a Chloroban as well from Dolfin. Had it since mid summer and noticed a bit of give recently but welcomed because when I first received the suit it had no give at all. Breast stroke kicking was impossible initially. I have one from Speedo as well and switch periodically.
Old 12-30-2008

shuumai

[quote=AWP;1013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
My suit is about 3 months old now. Used at least 3 days a week. Yeah, I usually just squeeze the excess water out of it and roll it in a towel. Dries fast.

Are you thoroughly rinsing the suit in warm fresh water after your swim?
You can't rinse it enough in my opinion ( or any of your gear for that matter, chlorine loves to 'eat'). Be sure not to leave it in a towel as any residule chlorine may continue to eat away at the suit. Let it air dry. The suit should last longer than 3 months but will 'loosen' some as mentioned; usually the band and lining. I use a Chloroban as well from Dolfin. Had it since mid summer and noticed a bit of give recently but welcomed because when I first received the suit it had no give at all. Breast stroke kicking was impossible initially. I have one from Speedo as well and switch periodically.
Yeah, I rinse it good, I think. Hmm...Chloroban... How do the Dolphin suits fits based on the indicated sizes? Maybe I should try one.
Old 12-30-2008

Rhoda

Quote:
...Hmm...do you sew your suits or just dye them?
I sew them. I used to be able to get Chloroblock from Textile Outfitters in all sorts of great colors, but they went out of business last summer, so after the current stash runs out I'll be choosing from the somewhat less desirable shades of Chloroban from another online fabric dealer. ("Lipstick pink" or "Fanta orange" anyone?) Then there's that leopard print lycra that I bought on a whim at a half-price sale...I haven't quite had the nerve to make anything out of that yet.
I started making my own about 8 years ago because nothing off the rack fit properly or had features I wanted. The first few were pretty bad, but only one was unwearable. Like swimming, sewing is something that improves with mindful practice, and the lycra suits I started out on wore out every three months, so I got lots of practice. Now I turn out contrast-bound suits that look a bit like a Speedo flyback, and you have to look closely to see the mistakes. Of which there is always at least one. :-D

Last edited by Rhoda : 12-30-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Then there's that leopard print lycra that I bought on a whim at a half-price sale...I haven't quite had the nerve to make anything out of that yet.

Now I turn out contrast-bound suits that look a bit like a Speedo flyback, and you have to look closely to see the mistakes. Of which there is always at least one. :-D
Maybe you could use the leopard print for small accents. Imagine leopard print stripes in a zebra pattern. hehe

A Persian Flaw is what that makes me think of.
Old 02-27-2009

shuumai

[quote=AWP;1013]
Quote:
I use a Chloroban as well from Dolfin. Had it since mid summer and noticed a bit of give recently but welcomed because when I first received the suit it had no give at all. Breast stroke kicking was impossible initially.
Yikes. I just ordered Dolfin jammers made of Chloroban. This is my first time ordering a size 32 as well. (One size smaller than usual.) I incorrectly remembered that Rhoda wrote that Chloroban is her fabric of choice; it was actually Chloroblock. So now what? I will have stiff armour plating for a while?

This is what I ordered at the indicated price, but price-matched at SwimOutlet.com: https://secure.swimmersmall.com/stor...&idcategory=29

At first I tried the ClubSwim polyester/PBT jammers. They felt soft, but a little loose. Maybe a little too soft. And a little low on the backside, so I was afraid to try a smaller size. I expected them to be more like Speedo poly/PBT fabric which is more stiff.
Old 02-27-2009

shuumai

Quote:
"Lipstick pink" or "Fanta orange" anyone?
Uh...negative. Well, yeah, it might look good on certain people.

Rhoda, do you think royal blue jammers is an OK fashion choice for a dark-haired person with non-tanned skin? I was thinking the lighter colour might make me look a little less pale.

Red was in the running, but didn't make the cut. Too flashy and life-guard-like. Maybe one day.

I'm just tired of black, black, and navy blue.
Old 02-27-2009

gogglesnoseplugs

I am considering acquiring a new suit - a speedo-style suit - because I feel it will be to my benefit overall in my initial drills of gaining balance - an ideal suit for my needs. Yet, I never owned a speedo-style suit before and feel aprehensive about the way I will look. I know there are jammer suits, but I do not like the feeling of things tight on my legs - it is just one of my querks. How might I get past feeling aprehensive about wearing a speedo-style suit in public?
Old 02-27-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogglesnoseplugs View Post
I am considering acquiring a new suit - a speedo-style suit - because I feel it will be to my benefit overall in my initial drills of gaining balance - an ideal suit for my needs. Yet, I never owned a speedo-style suit before and feel aprehensive about the way I will look. I know there are jammer suits, but I do not like the feeling of things tight on my legs - it is just one of my querks. How might I get past feeling aprehensive about wearing a speedo-style suit in public?
Then consider a square-leg suit. http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=277
Old 02-27-2009

Rhoda

[quote=shuumai;1960]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
... I incorrectly remembered that Rhoda wrote that Chloroban is her fabric of choice; it was actually Chloroblock. So now what? I will have stiff armour plating for a while?...
I only ever saw the Chloroblock sold by the meter at Textile Outfitters, never in the form of a ready-to-wear suit. I have no idea where they got it, as Googling the word only brings up references to their defunct website. It's probably the same stuff, and it gets softer after you've used it for a month or so.
The swimwear companies have access to much better fabrics, they can even get their polyester stuff in colorful prints now. Go for the royal blue if you're tired of dark somber colors. It's how I get through the winter. That, and wandering through the greenhouse at the local gardening center.