Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

OK, so the right fin felt a little more loose in the water since my right foot is a little smaller than the left. Otherwise, the fit was OK.

If I do the crawl without kicking, the fins feel like a pull buoy, but they don't make me feel unnaturally high in the water and disturb my rotational balance. It feels like I really have to drive them down when I kick though. I'm not sure I like that or if it's helpful.

I do the best with them while kicking in backstroke position.

Underwater flutter and dolphin kicks felt good.

Fly felt faster (like The Zohan!), but a little odd. During the pull, it felt like my feet were bracing, which is good, but it was more like they were stuck at the surface. The second kick felt better.

The buoyancy is a little disturbing, but then I don't have much experience with any type of fin for comparison. I think I'd like them much more if they were balanced to neutral buoyancy.

I might have to have a few goes before I learn to use them comfortably. I've never kept any fins on for very long. It feels nice to take them off; my feet just feel lighter, faster, and...free. heh
Old 01-08-2009

ny1301

Thanks a lot for the size info and kicking experience! Your description is so clear that I can imagine what I feel if I put it on.

Maybe the extra effort for kicking down is what they called "help to improve ankle flexiblity"? You said "It feels nice to take them off"; does it mean you did not feel your feet are 'useless' after taking them off?

I think it may help me to be more sensive to water and keep streamline better because it makes me faster. Like learning to drive, try driving a few miles in high way, immediately improves skills driving on local roads as well.

Problem is I cannot select a size in swimoutlet right now. There is no size in the pull-down menu.
Old 01-08-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny1301 View Post
Maybe the extra effort for kicking down is what they called "help to improve ankle flexiblity"? You said "It feels nice to take them off"; does it mean you did not feel your feet are 'useless' after taking them off?
My feet work OK without fins. It seems my hands and feet are large relative to my body size. I practised for a year without fins, so there is no way I could be dependent on them.

One way to improve ankle flexibility might be to make sure you relax your feet. With the fins on I notice more difficulty in the upbeat. Maybe I'm tensing my feet on the upbeat? Need to experiment more.

BTW, what are the details of your feet?
Old 01-09-2009

ny1301

My hands and feet are at disadvantage for swimming. 5'9'' as I am, I wear 9.5 size shoes, and still I can slip a finger in. I think I could not wear 9 size because my feet are wide. I may try the large size fin (10-11), but the M might also work if strech the lace a little? Hold on, when you mentioned "official" size, did you mean the M size is (8-9.5) instead of (8-9)?

Last edited by ny1301 : 01-09-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny1301 View Post
My hands and feet are at disadvantage for swimming. 5'9'' as I am, I wear 9.5 size shoes, and still I can slip a finger in. I think I could not wear 9 size because my feet are wide. I may try the large size fin (10-11), but the M might also work if strech the lace a little? Hold on, when you mentioned "official" size, did you mean the M size is (8-9.5) instead of (8-9)?
Well, the label on the package doesn't match what I called the "official" size, so forget about that.

Today I noticed that the fins bend in front of my toes and squeeze the empty space together as they bend. Not a problem really. Even though there is wiggle room once the fins are on, I have to press the fins onto my feet to get to get the strap over my heel. Having wide feet sucks when it comes to fitting footwear.

The fins feel wider toward the toe end, so you maybe you could try the 8-9 size. It's up to you. Just make sure the store has a good exchange policy.

I'm not sure what is considered an ideal fit for fins.
Old 01-10-2009

Rhoda

This may seem a strange question, but how are they for weight? I'm getting a bit tired of lugging the blue rubber bricks - aka Zoomers - around in my swim bag.
Old 01-10-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
This may seem a strange question, but how are they for weight? I'm getting a bit tired of lugging the blue rubber bricks - aka Zoomers - around in my swim bag.
The fins are extremely light. They are made of EVA foam. At first I was worried about ripping them apart by accident, but they are durable.

It makes sense that they might be comfortable considering this Wikipedia quote: "EVA foam is used as padding in equipment for various sports..."

Oh, I mentioned that I wished that the fins had neutral buoyancy. Well, last night I noticed that my kid's Zip fins seemed almost neutral. They have more mass though. http://www.swimoutlet.com/photos/1463-6T.jpg
Old 01-13-2009

shuumai

Update: Training the dolphin kick -- maybe a whale kick in my case considering the speed -- is going well using the Alpha fins. I made it across the pool today. I had to remember the "Cavic" lesson; keep the head down. Even though my body had floated to the surface near the end, I made it across. Yea!

Underwater dolphins and reverse dolphins at the surface are really nice to do with the fins on. A lot of power from more compact movements. I was even able to do hand-lead dolphin underwater, though I did scrape the bottom [of the pool] once.

Trying to do the butterfly with these fins doesn't go so well. I have trouble with breathing and the feet feeling stuck at the surface on the first kick. Maybe I should just tow the legs when breathing?
Old 01-14-2009

RadSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Maybe I should just tow the legs when breathing?
A reminder: it's easy to overkick with Zura Alpha fins. Keep it light.

RadSwim
Old 01-14-2009

shuumai
Default Ghost Fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
A reminder: it's easy to overkick with Zura Alpha fins. Keep it light.
Which type of kick are you referring to? My face down flutter kick seems exaggerated due to the amount of downward force I think I need to apply, by my face-up flutter and dolphin kicks are more compact.

BTW, I just attached a picture of my foot and fin. I'm sure they are not aligned well or totally to scale, but you can see how wide and flat my feet are and how big the fins are relative to my feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fin-foot_1.jpg (94.1 KB, 8 views)