Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010

ames
Default Where to Swim in Caribbean

My husband and I are planning our vacation this Sept. to somewhere in the Caribbean, no idea where and neither of us have ever been. I just started learning to swim last summer and have never been in open water but should be ready for it by then. Looking for nice CALM, clear, warm water for my ow debut. Thanks for any suggestions.
ames
Old 02-14-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
My husband and I are planning our vacation this Sept. to somewhere in the Caribbean, no idea where and neither of us have ever been. I just started learning to swim last summer and have never been in open water but should be ready for it by then. Looking for nice CALM, clear, warm water for my ow debut. Thanks for any suggestions.
ames
I know that swimtrek has swims in the Caribbean, but I don't know the times of year.

If its your first time in open water you don't want to swim alone and you should be with someone with solid open water experience. I swim in open water year round and this is always a wise policy for newbies and advanced folk. That being said, you can also Google places near where you'll be to see good places to swim are. Might I suggest a place that has a cove or lagoon. This is a setting that would be protected from the open sea and if winds rise up they won't be as bad there than if you were out in the "open" open water.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 02-15-2010

lanceryoung
Smile

Take up scuba diving.
Old 02-15-2010

RadSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
ames
About 4 years ago, we spent 3 days at the Grand Case Beach Club on the North coast of St. Martin prior to boarding a live-aboard SCUBA diving boat. The water was warm, clear and calm. The hotel has almost 1/2 mile of buoys on a rope that I swam along. Seems like an ideal place for a first open water experience. It worked for me.

http://www.grandcasebeachclub.com/
Old 02-15-2010

vol

Caribbean? Couldn't you just jump into the water anywhere? Anywhere should be better than the pool.