Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009

Heavy D
Default Swimming with a purpose

Hi everyone, I'm new here and had some questions so hopefully this is the right place to get them answered.

I am a relatively weak swimmer but yet I am an avid SCUBA diver. I want to advance to some higher levels in SCUBA but in order to do so, I need to be able to swim 450m in under 10 min and snorkel 900m in under 18 min. My goal is to be able to do this in the next 6 months. I have no doubt that TI will be able to help me but here are my questions.

1. Swimming 3-4 times per week and applying TI principles, how fast should I start to see improvements in my skills?

2. $495 is a lot of money on my military pay but I am willing to splurge if the workshop will help me a lot more. IS the workshop vastly better than self teaching?

3. Are there any other recommendations to help me with my goal?
Old 02-13-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

[quote=Heavy D;1728].

2. $495 is a lot of money on my military pay but I am willing to splurge if the workshop will help me a lot more. IS the workshop vastly better than self teaching?

Heavy D... it depends on who you get for coaches. If you get a good coach at a workshop, then it will be worth your money. If you get a good coach for private lessons, then they will be better.

There are excellent coaches you can get...there are good coaches you can get...then are some not so good ones.

Any workshop with the following coaches, I would recommended... Dave Cameron, Leah Nyksis, Kevin Millerick, Kim Bade, Hap Gentry,Gary Fahey, Bob Wiskera, Helenita Jacobs, John Fitzpatrick. Those are the very best. If you get private lessons or a workshop led by them, then you can't and will not go wrong
Old 02-14-2009

naj

Heavy D, I said the same thing when I saw the price of the workshop. I'm so poor the cockroaches in my house are on welfare...but seriously its a good investment and it revolutionized swimming for me. I would agree with Coach John that a good TI coach whether he/she be at a workshop or private is a good thing. My suggestions are Dave Cameron, Fiona Laughlin, Kim Dinell and Leslie Thomas (though you'd have to come to the S.F. Bay Area for Leslie.)

The DVD's helped me a lot but for myself it is better if i have someone right there to show me everything on the spot and then go and look at tape, but that's just me. Good luck and I hope that it all jells together for you.
Old 02-14-2009

Heavy D

How can I find out the coaches for the workshop that I was planning to attend?
Old 02-14-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
...I need to be able to swim 450m in under 10 min and snorkel 900m in under 18 min.
Is it the distance and/or the speed that you need to increase?

You only need to swim at a velocity of 25m in 33 seconds and snorkel 25m in 30 seconds. Using a 2-beat kick for the swim should help make the distance easier. If you are wearing fins for the snorkel test, the speed should be easy.

I began swimming with fins in January. I think they are helping me improve my 6-beat kick, dolphin kick, hand entry, and streamlining. (I use positive buoyancy fins, if that makes a difference.)
Old 02-14-2009

lanceryoung
Default Scuba diving for 4 years.

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here and had some questions so hopefully this is the right place to get them answered.

I am a relatively weak swimmer but yet I am an avid SCUBA diver. I want to advance to some higher levels in SCUBA but in order to do so, I need to be able to swim 450m in under 10 min and snorkel 900m in under 18 min. My goal is to be able to do this in the next 6 months. I have no doubt that TI will be able to help me but here are my questions.

1. Swimming 3-4 times per week and applying TI principles, how fast should I start to see improvements in my skills?

3. Are there any other recommendations to help me with my goal?
I have been using the TI principles for 9 months and have seen good benefits. I can now swim 400 yds in 7:35 on a good day. (Could not get under 8:45 1 year ago.) With the economy the way it is, I say save your money and keep plugging along. Keep up the scuba diving, I just got back from Turks and Caicos.

Last edited by lanceryoung : 02-14-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: 400 yds in 7:35
Old 02-14-2009

naj

How can I find out the coaches for the workshop that I was planning to attend?

You can call the 800 number and they would have that information for you. However, it is not uncommon for a coach from out of town to come into your city and do the workshop due to the fact that there aren't enough coaches yet.
Old 02-14-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceryoung View Post
I have been using the TI principles for 9 months and have seen good benefits. I can now swim 400 yds in 7:35 on a good day. (Could not get under 8:45 1 year ago.) With the economy the way it is, I say save your money and keep plugging along. Keep up the scuba diving, I just got back from Turks and Caicos.
That's like...less than 32 seconds per 25m, right? And about 28.5 seconds per 25y? Sounds like it's well on target. No need to go much faster and burn energy that would be needed for the snorkel portion of the test.
Old 02-14-2009

Heavy D

I need help in both the speed and stamina areas. I think that both will come if I can master the TI principles. The speed is the main thing because I think that my stamina problems come from two things, breathing improperly and I know that I'm working way too hard to move through the water. The snorkel I'm really not all that worried about, it's mainly the 450m swim.

I'll call the 800 number next week to see if I can find out who the coaches are going to be for next months class in San Antonio, TX
Old 02-15-2009

shuumai

Quote:
I need help in both the speed and stamina areas. I think that both will come if I can master the TI principles. The speed is the main thing because I think that my stamina problems come from two things, breathing improperly and I know that I'm working way too hard to move through the water. The snorkel I'm really not all that worried about, it's mainly the 450m swim.

I'll call the 800 number next week to see if I can find out who the coaches are going to be for next months class in San Antonio, TX
How is the flexibility in your shoulders and ankles?

Have you seen the Easy Freestyle DVD yet? (I rented it from Netflix.) That would help you to prepare to benefit from the workshop, but, the workshop cost might include a DVD. Not sure.

You can get the PDF's that accompany the DVD's. It seems you need to login now, though. http://www.totalimmersion.net/free-stuff