CoachSuzanne
Default PLease Critique my Swim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19518...ature=youtu.be
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 07-31-2013

johynr]]]

Firstly it looks very a very nice stroke to me. I hope one day to have something approaching it.

A couple of comments.

1. It would be good to have more underwater shots.

2. From the underwater sequence, I see that as you breathe to your right your lead hand braces slightly (ie goes down rather than stay still). When not breathing the lead hand is perfect.

3. Could the 2BK be a bit cleaner?
Old 07-31-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
SR = 0.92 (65.5 spm)
Swim Pace = 1:40/100m, good for 25min flat LCM

The beauty is that it's not unrealistic to believe that this couldn't because a sustainable pace, as long as this rate isn't too much above your natural sweet spot one. Technically I guess we see the same things, that is, far more good than bad. A bit of clean up here and there (catch, 2bk) but the stroke is dynamic and lively, balance streamlining is excellent (obviously!).

Well done!
Old 07-31-2013

mjm
Default Head tilt

Coach S: it just gets better and better. Now there is not even a slight scissor kick and hips and shoulders work nicely together.

You must have noticed a crossover with the head-on shots at the end. Easy to fix. Both hands move sideways at the beginning of the catch. That might help "feel" for the water but probably at least partially compensates for the crossover.

The other slight flaw is head tilt when you breathe. Your head tilts toward the extended arm. The body follows the head so you do get slightly crooked.

I saw myself doing the same in a video and used a snorkel to keep my head perfectly still while stroking and to see my hands extend directly out from the shoulders. That feeling of a stationary head did translate to my swimming without the snorkel [i.e. breathing] although it did take several sessions and constant awareness. YMMV.
Old 07-31-2013

andyinnorway

Suzanne,

I watched your video a few times without finding any comments only something I was unsure about, so I downloaded it and looked at the slow mo. Above the water everything looks really great, text book. below the water I think you can see some opportunities.

Picture 1 - shows the bracing on the breathing side that johynr]]] spotted. your spear is much shallower which i think effects thrust.

Picture 2 and 4 - on this side I think your spear depth and torque is much better but at the 'moment of power' Shinji's hand is still ahead of his forehead where yours is level with the shoulder so you are losing about a foot of propulsive stroke.

Picture 3 - good visualisation of Shinji's torque setup to maximise dps.

This analysis only on snap shots so may not be consistent over a whole length but not much underwater footage so not possible to look for consistencies.
Old 08-01-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

hey coach suzanne! some quick observations:

1. when you flip turn and come out of streamline, there is a tiny moment at around :56 where you nearly come to a stop. there may be some large increase in drag as you come out of streamline to first stroke. you may want to examine what you're doing there which would cause a slowdown and find a way to stroke such that you are continuing your velocity and not coming nearly to a stop.

2. your elbows could be higher. it may be something you'd want to explore. they seem to skim very low over the water. that may be a consequence of a minimal body angle during high tempo swimming.

3. you are swimming with 6BK. i'd be curious to see what would happen with a 2BK. i cannot tell if you are generating the full potential of forward energy on each kick->spear. i am wondering what effect on drag or propulsion the 6BK is having on you.

4. right near the end around 1:44, i saw a frontal shot that shows your left arm entering close to your head and then shooting out from there. you may consider entering farther from your head, and maybe grooving the same target entry point on each side. this may be caused by your fast moving recovery where you arm not only moves forward from the exit of the water but is actually swinging in as well.

all in all, probably nit picky details to an otherwise decent form swim at high tempo.
Old 08-01-2013

ananthaditya

What was your tempo on this swim?
Old 08-01-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Thanks everyone very much for the comments.

This swim was a bit faster than my natural rate...purposefully, I wanted some video of me swimming quickly. So I think there are many flaws here that are not present in a more moderate effort.

Head tilt and left hand bracing on breathing... this gets worse as I continue losing weight...so it's not a bad tradeoff. ;) But it's worse in the pool and worse at higher tempos and worse when I am tired. I worked on this today. I did not realize until seeing this video that I was bracing. UGH.

Breakout slowdown...thanks Dave, you are probably right. When I try hard I get this right. When I don't try I frequently just pop to the surface, although I don't think I am coming to a stop. I can keep workign on this.

Elbows on recovery...with slower tempo swimming I feel my elbows are pretty good. Believe it or not with the higher rate, this is oen of the only things I think about is leading with my elbows. If I were not thinking of leading with my elbows I shudder to think what it would look like!

Left arm crossover...one of my old habits, appearing to be rearing it's ugly head at higher rates. The right arm crossover was mosty because it was my last stroke and I was reaching for the wall...it would have been nice to get 2 strokes prior to this. Overall my Sister in law did a good job. ;)

Kicking. I still don't think I ever had a scissor kick and that it was due to camera angle. But I will say that one of my focuses has been on keeping the thighs/legs closer together. What may have appears as a scissors earlier I think was just tight IT bands that in a relaxed supported position in the water caused my legs to be further apart than ideal. Short body problems, lol.

6BK? I may revert to some of this at higher rates...it's involuntary! I am thinking 2 BK but when I go faster the stroke I learned as a 12 year old kicks in (no pun intended)

My main focus on swimming this length was a comfortably fast recovery swing. All of the excellent feedback provided so far is refreshing to me in that they are all the same things I had to correct when I first attended my weekend workshop...but back then at a tempo of 1.3

It seems clear to me that I can easily back off from the .96 to a more comfortable place where these flaws start to appear...i already know how to fix them, but it will take work. More time or less time than y current progress to date? Who knows.

Thank you all. Will try to get more underwater strokes. I do have some underwater footage from 2 months ago, but it's awful and I'm ebarassed by it. I was trying TOO hard to impress a student of mine that happened to have a great camera set up for over and underwater shooting. I overshot my effort and it looks bad.

Thanks again.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-01-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthaditya View Post
What was your tempo on this swim?
Charles measured it at .96. I swam without a tempo trainer.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-01-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
but at the 'moment of power' Shinji's hand is still ahead of his forehead where yours is level with the shoulder so you are losing about a foot of propulsive stroke.

Picture 3 - good visualisation of Shinji's torque setup to maximise dps.
Thanks for the valuable analysis. I'll just comment that at faster rates I deliberately give up some Stroke length...were I to do what Shinji is doing in this photo, at this rate, my shoulders would be toast. But at lower rates, I think it looks quite different, or at least feels different.

Thanks Andy
Fresh Freestyle