Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013

efdoucette

woohoo Mike, thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna find my way over there. I'll just yell for Mike. I'll be the grey haired guy.
Old 07-12-2013

Mike from NS

It will be great to meet you Eric !

Just ask the life guards who Mike is ... they will point me out ..... grey hair? ... you won't be alone in that group. I'll tell them to expect you. We are a pretty laid back group ... should be fun.

It may look like this

Mike

Last edited by Mike from NS : 07-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2014

Mike from NS
Default Time for this thread to re-surface ?

Possibly premature to share this success ... but why not share this experience? It may be helpful to someone.

Last summer I posted a question asking methods to help learn continuance. That is to be able to swim many lengths without a rest after each 25M. Many replies were offered and were greatly appreciated. They all have helped too. But with the close of the summer pool in late August my swimming frequency takes a hit. Then skiing starts in December and swimming suffers a bit more .... sorry, I digress. So, the other day with all the advice from last summer floating through my brain I decided to give "continuance" a dedicated effort. I combined the Nod & Swim Drill and the advice in this famous thread by Nicodemus from way back in 2009 along with the suggestions from last summer ... and ... presto ....CONTINUANCE happened !! I started with bobbing for 175 M and transcended this into 150M of swimming as relaxed as possible just to keep going. Using the advice from the summer, to not be terribly concerned of stroke or style but rather focus on getting there without being sapped of all strength --- ie : go slowly, I went as slowly and with as few strokes as I could. First, the 175 was done floating and bobbing vertically with feet crossed at ankles and just more or less sculling like a breast stroke. The 150 was carried out with mostly a slow as possible freestyle with a good bit of breast stroke tossed in as well. This was just all on the spur of the moment when I decided to make an honest effort. While doing the 175 I paid a lot of attention to the breathing rhythm and feeling a relaxed exhale. Anyway it all worked pretty well, so I thought I'd share this in the event it may help some one else who is having the same breathing issues as I have been. Can't wait to get back and give it another try.
Mike
Old 01-14-2014

Noonie
Default Question on swim-style breathing outside the pool

Great thread. Has given me much to think about. I liked the comments about going slow, and practicing breathing while not actually swimming. This gave me a though and I wanted to ask if others have thought about this -

Lets say I take 23 strokes in 25 meters (counting each time my hand spears under the water), I'm bi-latteral breathing, and it takes me 25 seconds to complete. I just sketched this on some paper and I'm taking on average 8 breaths in 25 seconds. So in 25 seconds I'm taking 8 "bites" of air, with each less than a second (I assume) and breathing out the remainder of the time.

A couple of really basic observations:
- this isn't how we breathe normally (obvious, we're swimming). So how do we become better swim breathers?
- regardless of how slow we go, and how efficient we are, it takes a moderate amount of effort to swim and thus is a physical activity that gets the heart rate up...and usually when this happens you need more air

Can you work on making this type of breathing feel normal, so that it transaltes during w/s like how we imprint during drills? Maybe while sitting at ones desk, on a couch, or standing in the pool and submerging your head while breathing like I do during swimming (8 bites of air in 25s, rest of the time exhaling).

And FWIW, I've had days when I can swim 500-750m straight and I feel only a little winded, taking that 1-2 second pause at the wall, and days when I can't swim more than 50m without needing 10 seconds at the wall to catch my breath.
Old 01-14-2014

Penguin
Default It's not easy, but...

When I was younger, I did a lot of skin diving, and I got pretty good at holding my breath underwater. In a pool, I used to do two lengths (@ 25 yd) easily underwater. When swimming on the surface, I felt that carrying a couple of lungfulls of air made me swim better because it floated me higher.

Now, I am trying to learn something else. It is not easy. A few concepts (listed in order of discovery) that seem to be working for me are:

Dry land aerobic training helps.

The stale air has to go out before fresh air can come in.

Streamlining is better below the surface than when floating on the top.

Most of the oxygen exchange takes place in the first few seconds after an inhalation (I read that on a TI forum or blog recently, but am not totally convinced yet) so swimming two or three strokes on a full set of lungs should offer no advantage over having a partially filled set.

In pilates and other strength exercizes, one is always being instructed to exhale during the exertion. (Most of us come new into a training program reflexively holding our breath or actually inhaling, maybe seeking to draw in more vitality.) By this same argument, it would be beneficial to exhale during the pull stroke. I think it helps to be trying to learn this counterintuitive concept in two different disciplines at the same time.
Old 01-15-2014

StuartK

Mike, Great, well done few more lengths and you may need to contact the Lamborghini agent :)

Noonie, The best advice I had was to try and make you breathing as near to your normal pattern as possible. I breathe in every third stroke but I try to ensure that I'm slowly breathing out all the time inbetween, as soon as my face is back in the water I'm breathing out. I find if I hold my breath at all then I can feel anxiety building up, this increases tension and I find myself short of breath. One of the posters said that it's the build up of CO2 that causes the feeling of breathlessness not lack of oxygen. I'm trying to reach the stage where I don't have to think about my breathing so if my body needs an extra breath I can just take it - work in progress!
Old 01-15-2014

Mike from NS

Thanks Stuart!
I had forgotten about the car....LOL ! You may have a good point. It all seems to be "coming together" a bit more lately. A 200M non stop swim yesterday (with "gas" left in the tank) and a 50M non-stop has become a matter of fact. That in itself is a new feature for me. One of the many things I enjoy about learning to swim is that when there is progress, the progress is obvious.
Mike
Old 01-15-2014

efdoucette

Congratulations Mike, you are really doing well.

For me I need to focus on my breathing every swim, trying my best to make it feel seamless. I know I am holding my breath, it is not yet automatic, still a work in progress. On days when I "normalize" my breathing I can freestyle up to 200M.

Also,I always try to stay off the wall, not stopping even if I push off and back float for 10M or so. I am now up to 1Km in a session, sometime 1500M.

Keep at it Mike, I think there is hope for us :)
Old 01-16-2014

Mike from NS

Thanks Eric.
Progress is slow but when the effort is made progress becomes obvious. Sounds like you are doing really well. Congratulations to you ! Swimming demands we have patience and tenacity .... and then we will get there!
CGC is a busy place early on Friday mornings now .... bordering on crazy at times. Looking forward to the Bedford pool and the summer. The present Jan. thaw is killing the ski season and if it lasts much longer the humming-bird feeder will be coming out of storage.
Mike
Old 05-21-2014

gkgkgkgk
Default thanks all friends

thanks so much for his knowledge and increase my knowledge and insight