Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2014

Stever
Default Mindfulness meant a 4km swim

I've been giving some thought to Terry's musings on mindful swimming and swimming as 'movement art', so yesterday decided those would be my focus rather than any aspects of technique. Talk about an aha moment! Pre-swim I stretched a little, but essentially just stood and contemplated my swim. Once in the water I started out very slowly, consciously determined not to fall into my usual trap of peaking too early, or of worrying about my stroke or time. After about 15 lengths I found myself in the zone, relaxed and breathing right. My speed increased and then remained fixed. Everything became effortless. An hour and twenty minutes later I 'awoke' to find I'd done 4km freestyle non-stop. The trick for me was to visualise myself from a spectator's viewpoint....that guy is swimming so quietly, he's making it look so easy, he's not splashing around, he's keeping his head down, he's swimming beautifully.....rather than from my internal scientific view of am I doing this right, am I doing that right. And also framing the view in jargon-free language, dismissing terms like balance and catch and SPL in favour of layman's terms such as style and beauty etc. I guess you could call it a right-brained rather than left-brained approach.
Old 04-19-2014

Zenturtle

Awesome!
Go have a talk with Talvi;-). (?)
Old 04-19-2014

Raini

Thank you Stever.
Visualization is such a powerful tool. Sometimes I tend over think and forget to enjoy the journey. My keyword when swimming starts to feel like a struggle is QUIETLY. It's like giving my body permission to relax. It's then that I start to feel the water running past me if that makes sense and I'm probably swimming faster even though I have purposely slowed down.