Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014

Raini
Default Update

Hi guys.
I just wanted to share that after the advise given to me several months ago I have managed to complete a continuous mile 4 days in a row!
I worked on the sets suggested by Coach Suzanne and made great progress but what really did it for me was getting stuck behind a really slow breast stroker and all thoughts of completing lengths went right out of my head and before I knew it I had swam behind her for a good half an hour!
The only thing holding me back has been myself so I invested in a tempo trainer and have set it at 1.3. It has taken me between 25 to 35 mins to complete 64 lengths (depending on how busy the pool is) at an average of 18 strokes per 25 metre length.
I'm not sure how efficient this is mathematically as I'm not very good at working that side of things out.
Thank you for all the good advise and where do I go from here?
Old 02-04-2014

Superfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raini View Post
...what really did it for me was getting stuck behind a really slow breast stroker and all thoughts of completing lengths went right out of my head and before I knew it I had swam behind her for a good half an hour!
I hear ya! Breaststrokers swim like turtles, but kick like mules. At our pool, the etiquette is to tap their foot, signalling that they should stop at the end of the pool and let you pass.
Old 02-04-2014

Raini

Hi Superfly.
We do that at our pool too but as I had already swam several sets I decided to stay behind her and that's when I realized I needed to really slow done in order to be able to swim a mile continuously something that I had been struggling to achieve.
The tempo trainer has been a great help in keeping me swimming at a slow pace.
StuartK was right when he said perhaps I was swimming a little to fast and needed to find my walking pace.
I'm so thankful for this forum. Without it I would still be one of those breastrokers getting in everyones way!
Old 02-05-2014

StuartK

Well done Raini. Now they will tell you to start working on going faster :)
Old 02-06-2014

tomoy

Slowing down is an important skill in being able to swim distance. I've gotten to the point where a mile isn't so bad in a pool, but as soon as I get in open water, I have a hard time pacing myself and end up gassed going too fast.

So much of normal swimming instruction is done in 25-50-100Y increments. And our idols (olympic athletes) are swimming 50-100-400Min half the time it takes the rest of us. I think it's also a pool length issue. If most pools were 400M long, we would have a very different attitude towards our goals.

Anyway, slowing down for long distance: good on ya mate!