Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014

Zenturtle
Default Good swimmers are hard to find

Lets make a nice video about swimmer related exercises with cool slo-mo underwatershots.
Where do we get a swimmer?
Well, I am a reasonable good swimmer.
OK, Deal, hop in and lets do it.
Is this the typical fitness swimmer Terry is always talking about? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRBspE-uJUo

Last edited by Zenturtle : 05-09-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2014

The Parrot

That is truly horrible and one of the best examples of how not to swim I have ever seen. Looking at that on a TI site is like seeing something beautiful being desecrated. However, there is a bright side, I now feel I have made quite a lot of progress with my own freestyle performance. In fact Zenturtle's clip has done wonders for my morale . . .

Martin T.
Old 05-09-2014

Raini

Oh dear. I have a sudden urge to train as a TI coach!
Joking aside though that poor man is likely to injure himself if he carries on swimming like this.
Old 05-10-2014

tony0000

More seriously, one thing that has always struck me, and worried me, about TI is that there seem to be so few documented examples of good TI swimmers--that is that good swimmers seem so hard to find Of course, there's the iconic 3-million hit Shinji video, as well as other Shinji videos. But it can't be that TI is a stroke for one person. After scouring youtube, I've found a number by the Israeli coach Gadi that seem to me to be excellent examples of how the stroke is done well, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&f...&v=mRQ5a4UnqaE. But for the most part, what I find on youtube are either examples of TI done poorly, or examples of drills, or examples where you can't really see what's happening. Are there examples out there of people who are doing the stroke at a very high level? If so, I'd like to see more so I could model myself and also to assure myself that swimming something like Shinji, at least for shorter distances--is an attainable goal. Judging from their posts, there seem to be many people on this forum who are quite accomplished when it comes to TI. Would they post underwater videos of themselves swimming for an extended period so we can really see how it's done properly by people with a variety of body types and cardio abilities? I think that such examples would be worth a 1000 posts.

Tony
Old 05-10-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parrot View Post
That is truly horrible and one of the best examples of how not to swim I have ever seen. Looking at that on a TI site is like seeing something beautiful being desecrated. However, there is a bright side, I now feel I have made quite a lot of progress with my own freestyle performance. In fact Zenturtle's clip has done wonders for my morale . . .

Martin T.
I've seen much worse! I can remember one man whose stroke, at the beginning of a weekend workshop, looked like a cross between a freestyle and a dog paddle. It took him 51 strokes to go the length of a 25 yard pool. But by the following afternoon, he looked like a totally different swimmer, and swam the same pool length in only 18 strokes.

But I'm reminded of the words of Mr. Miyagi in The Karate Kid: "No such thing, bad student. Only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do." What I found disturbing was the woman describing to the camera what the man was doing as through it were exemplary rather than giving the man instructions on what to do differently.

I'm reminded of the time I was doing my swim practice while an instructor on the other side of the pool was trying to teach a boy butterfly. The boy's main problem was that he hadn't developed a good body dolphin, so he was basically using his arm stroke to push his head above the water so he could breathe, and was then trying to recover his arms forward before his face fell back in the water. It was a perfect example of what Terry calls butterstruggle, and was agonizing to watch, but what was much worse was his instructor on the pool deck yelling excitedly, "That's it! You've got it!"

Bob
Old 05-10-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I would like to "unsee" that. ;-)

I don't know why you don't see more video of good TI swimming. But my guess is that it's because it takes time and effort to do so, and even as a coach, while I post samples of my swimming, to get a good extended underwater video...is difficult to do. Usuually I am the one filiming and asking others to film usually results in poor quality...it takes practice to do it right

At a time gather sometime soon we should specifically plan to shoot a bit of coach video for different folks to see. But that still leaves non-coach good TI swimmer video...it's just hard. I have hundreds of megabytes of it on my laptop but getting permission from each swimmer is time consuming, extra work and for what gain for me? I just like to focus on coaching.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-10-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

For what it's worth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2sOy06fVP8
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-10-2014

Zenturtle

Shinji is producing some good TI swimmers and showing them on the web.

I like this one. Looking good above and underwater. He is also putting some oommph in his stroke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U25j-WFt_qw

is there really so much difference between a good TI swimmer and a good "normal " swimmer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5OVXuHGys

Looking from the rear, above the water, they both have the same nice "drive" in their stroke.
That connection of the anchoring arm and the spearing arm, trusting forward, helped by the kick and hip.
Looks great. Feels great.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 05-10-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2014

hiabhijeet
Default Subtle though significant

Difference seems slight but if you really see it feels significant. TI swimmer seems so much at peace with the water and with his self. On other hand the regular swimmer seems aggressive. Not discounting either but a point to note.
Old 05-10-2014

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
I like this one. Looking good above and underwater. He is also putting some oommph in his stroke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U25j-WFt_qw
Yeah I've had this clip of Coach Nakamura in my bookmarks for a while because you can really see his weight shift, especially in the last shot when he's swimming away from the camera. Trying to replicate... :)