Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014

Talvi
Default TT arrived - yaaay!

My TT's here, so I'm off to get it and swim, yaaaay, and suddenly I think ... how on Earth am I going to use it?

I reckon set it slow and see how regular I can get my spl. Then maybe see what happens when I set it faster, and faster. And then ...

I guess it will become clearer but it feels .. chaotic .. though fun, for a while anyway. Suddenly I'm imagining the beep beep beep becoming something pointless which shouldn't be the case.

What's my goal? To swim as far and as fast as I can for the energy I use - bang for my buck, maintanable not sprint. Seeemples? Advice ?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 04-17-2014

Raini

I can't give you advice on how to use it as I haven't got to grips with the TT myself yet except to say that if you are wearing it with a swim cap remember to remove it before you take the swim cap off. I kept forgetting to do this at first which resulted in it flying across the changing room and bouncing on the floor(didn't do it any harm fortunately) Oh and be prepared for people around you to keep asking what that beeping noise is as they won't necessarily know it's coming from you!
Old 04-18-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

What did you end up doing with it?
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-18-2014
Coach

CoachDavidShen

My advice would be:

1. First, get used to swimming with a beep. It can be a hard taskmaster to deal with, so just get used to moving to something that forces you to a rhythm. That also means, find some rhythm to practice at. So 1.3s is a good start. If that feels too fast, then slow it down. Or vice versa by speeding it up. At this point what matters most is to just to get used to swimming with a constant rhythm.

2. There are many ways to use the TT. The main use of the TT is to maintain one point of consistency between workouts. There are 4 data points to always keep in mind: tempo, distance, time to swim a distance, and SPL. With the TT, you can now relate all 4 of these and know when you are doing better or worse than a previous workout.

Once you get used to swimming with a TT, you will never want to swim without one. But if you race, you'll have to, so over time your nervous system will adapt and know what pace you want to swim at. The reason why you will never want to swim without one is because you will know instantly if you are improving or not. One day at tempo 1.3s, you'll do 14 SPL for 25y. But then the next day you'll do 15. Whoa - what? Why can I not achieve 14? It will send your brain thinking about all the reasons why and you'll be able to implement solutions ASAP. Without it, you'll never know really whether your times and effort really were justified or not.

3. There are numerous ways to use the TT. Terry wrote a guide for the TT once. Let me see if I can find that to post.

Dave
Old 04-18-2014

Talvi

Thanks for that David :)

And thanks for asking Suzanne! :)

First off I have to say I had great fun with it. Really! That was a really big and very nice surprise.

I started off with it at 1.8, as that's the slow rate Garmin said I was doing (16 one-arm strokes p.min) but this immediately proved to be way off. I had to come up to 1.6 before it felt it was at my normal slow pace.

I went a bit mad, trying everything, cranked the tempo down and up and tried a 4,3,2,1 at 1.6 (Ithink). That got a bit messy, partly because of other swimmers crashing into me at the pool ends but also because of a more general confusion. I use my Garmin as I really struggle counting while swimming. I find there's just too much going on and too many distractions. I'm spinning plates while herding cats, rubbing my stomack and patting my head, so whistling the B minor Mass backwards at the same time is a bridge too far. I think similarly the 4,3,2,1 was a bridge too far as I didn't really have any purpose in doing it. Finally I turned the tempo down in a couple of steps to 1.5 and used that for an interval of 500m.

It felt good overall, though no improvement in performance. My times were pretty much the same. Wot, no mirukul?! I think I felt a bit tireder after the session as a result of the more complete workout delivered because the TT eliminated lazy strokes.

I think the TT will enable me to have a clearer focus on the elements I do focus on, if that makes sense. And I could feel that happening. On the other hand I find the discipline of the beep takes away the space for quizzical exploration of the moment, so I think next time I'll "alternate" intervals, first finding a focus and then using that focus for a TT interval.

Generally, for anyone who hasn't used one yet, out of the water I found the beep deafening but underwater it's fine, in fact sometimes I found I tuned out so I lost the beat completely. That was unexpected. It only takes a stroke or two to get back in synch with paatient old "Beep-bot" though. I used Danny's advice and attached it to my goggle strap. That worked perfectly in the end, but there were teething troubles. Fiddling with the controls while attached led to it not being secure when I set off and suddenly ... hmmm, where's that beep gone?! After ten minutes paddling about, lifting lane ropes and generally puzzling, the pool guard took pity and pointed it out to me. Seems the TT had gone faster without me attached to it!

Goggle straps are a bit narrow for the clip, and thin, so it's easy for the TT to be twisted off them. Also the unit needs to be firmly pressed into the clip. It's easy to get one clasp engaged but miss one of the other two.

What was amazing was how enjoyable it was swimming with a beat. There was something really RELAXING about it, mesmeric. I found the beeping complimented and accentuated the feeling of immersion and suspension, rather than distracting from it. This was to the extent that on the first lengths I found I wasn't breathing. That was confusing. When I did breath it was in 4 stroke and 3 stroke time, not my usual 2 stroke rhythm, and it settled into 3 stroke, something I have been trying to learn to get better balance. With the TT set at 1.6 3 stroke breathing felt natural so maybe there is an irregularity somewhere that is being ironed out. After a time, as my puff began to wane, I reverted back to 2 stroke breathing.

Feels like it's going to be fun.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 04-18-2014
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Talvi, email me at dshen at coachdshen.com and i'll send you the TT starter doc that Terry wrote a little while back. He gave me permission to give it out.

Dave
Old 04-20-2014

Talvi

Email sent :) Thanks for the offer.

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-02-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Sounds like you've got some good updates for us!! Please fill us in. :)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-04-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Sounds like you've got some good updates for us!! Please fill us in. :)
Me? Not sure about that! It's all a bit hazy as there are so many elements to the stroke that I focus on plus the TT plus spl and times that I can't carry much data forward. But ...

I seem to have arrived at 1.35 as a nice rate. It doesn't seem to take a lot more effort than my 1.6 tempo. I feel my spl increases because of it but the data doesn't seem to back that up. A few days ago I did 850m on 1.35 and yesterday almost matched another swimmer over 400m at the same rate. Now I'm totally confused by my SPL as I counted him doing 15spl. It didn't seem my stroke rate was much faster yet my figures are that I do about 18-20spl. So, is that another story? Maybe not.

I haven't done Terry's ordered drills because my SPL is not consistent enough. Without precision on that the drills don't make sense. I try to count but as my interest in the focus of a length increases I ALWAYS lose it! I get up to about 8 and then realise I've lost it, AGAIN! So it's a choice: either focus on my swimming or focus on counting. Unlesss I force myself to ignore the swimming I lose count so I only "count" with my watch, which isn't much use.

With those limitations, before the TT, for example over over 200m intervals, I was doing 10 / 18 (20spl 36spm) at a pace of about 2:14, whereas now it's 10 / 20 at a pace of 2:10. Which doesn't make any sense so I reckon is error in the stroke count.

Despite the lack of any major change though, there feels like there is a greater consistency in my times.

For me the main benefit of the TT is that the consistency it generates leads to a tighter focus on the stroke itself. I think it eliminates a tendency to get "lost" in a particular moment and to then extend that moment/attention at the expense of overall rhythm/timing. If I feel I want to extend the focus now I slow the TT down, but am finding that I don't actually get much more benefit from doing so!

So, "good updates" - I don't think so, but hope this makes some sense!

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-06-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
Me? Not sure about that! It's all a bit hazy as there are so many elements to the stroke that I focus on plus the TT plus spl and times that I can't carry much data forward. But ...

I seem to have arrived at 1.35 as a nice rate. It doesn't seem to take a lot more effort than my 1.6 tempo. I feel my spl increases because of it but the data doesn't seem to back that up. A few days ago I did 850m on 1.35 and yesterday almost matched another swimmer over 400m at the same rate. Now I'm totally confused by my SPL as I counted him doing 15spl. It didn't seem my stroke rate was much faster yet my figures are that I do about 18-20spl. So, is that another story? Maybe not.

I haven't done Terry's ordered drills because my SPL is not consistent enough. Without precision on that the drills don't make sense. I try to count but as my interest in the focus of a length increases I ALWAYS lose it! I get up to about 8 and then realise I've lost it, AGAIN! So it's a choice: either focus on my swimming or focus on counting. Unlesss I force myself to ignore the swimming I lose count so I only "count" with my watch, which isn't much use.

With those limitations, before the TT, for example over over 200m intervals, I was doing 10 / 18 (20spl 36spm) at a pace of about 2:14, whereas now it's 10 / 20 at a pace of 2:10. Which doesn't make any sense so I reckon is error in the stroke count.

Despite the lack of any major change though, there feels like there is a greater consistency in my times.

For me the main benefit of the TT is that the consistency it generates leads to a tighter focus on the stroke itself. I think it eliminates a tendency to get "lost" in a particular moment and to then extend that moment/attention at the expense of overall rhythm/timing. If I feel I want to extend the focus now I slow the TT down, but am finding that I don't actually get much more benefit from doing so!

So, "good updates" - I don't think so, but hope this makes some sense!
Consistency is a great sign of progress!!
Fresh Freestyle