Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixfairweather View Post
OMG! Well, I sure did locate my core muscles!! I tried the plank position, then lowered to quads down a couple of times - oooh, that was intense. I only dabbled to see if it would a problem for my knees.

Later I intended to give the whole 2.5 minute set a go - HA! my core muscles were very sore just from that 2X dip into quad down.

I'll baby step my way to doing more of this

Thank you, Coach Suzanne!

Helix
That's exactly the way to do it! Start with 10 sec plank then add a variation to give little break like the quad dips, then go 10 sec again. Start with a sustained 30 second of Plank+ quad dips, then rest. Or 3 x 10 seconds.

Baby steps.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-12-2013

Raini

Hi Helix.
I have just seen your video and you are a pleasure to watch. I hope I look as relaxed as you when I am swimming.
As for your cold shoulders have you thought of a thin short sleeved shrug (sometimes called a bolero)that ties just below the bust. It would only cover the tops of your arms and shoulders and be far less material than a shirt.
Old 12-13-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raini View Post
Hi Helix.
I have just seen your video and you are a pleasure to watch. I hope I look as relaxed as you when I am swimming.
As for your cold shoulders have you thought of a thin short sleeved shrug (sometimes called a bolero)that ties just below the bust. It would only cover the tops of your arms and shoulders and be far less material than a shirt.
I could craft the silk underwear shirt into something like that!
Thank you, Raini, for the nice compliments!

Helix
Old 12-13-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
That's exactly the way to do it! Start with 10 sec plank then add a variation to give little break like the quad dips, then go 10 sec again. Start with a sustained 30 second of Plank+ quad dips, then rest. Or 3 x 10 seconds.

Baby steps.
Definitely baby steps. I think I"ll have to babystep my way to 10 seconds in just plain plank. That little test was intense and I can still feel it!

Helix
Old 12-13-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Definitely baby steps. I think I"ll have to babystep my way to 10 seconds in just plain plank. That little test was intense and I can still feel it!

Helix
Then there's a good chance tuning into these muscles...even bEFORE you can do 30 seconds of plank..will help you feel them more in your swimming and activate them as needed! :) The water will provide support so you just need to find the gravitational/rotational control from your core.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-14-2013

helixfairweather

Today I could hold plank position for a count of 5 (not five whole seconds!) and do quad dip ONE time - and that was all I could do. OH yes, this will be tiny tiny baby steps. :)

Helix
Old 12-14-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Today I could hold plank position for a count of 5 (not five whole seconds!) and do quad dip ONE time - and that was all I could do. OH yes, this will be tiny tiny baby steps. :)

Helix
Super!! Have you been back in the water yet to see if you can feel those same muscles?
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-15-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Super!! Have you been back in the water yet to see if you can feel those same muscles?
I have been back in the water but did not feel those muscles yet.

Helix
Old 12-18-2013

helixfairweather
Default I found my core muscles!

In today's practice session, I felt my core muscles finally. THey are quite sore from the baby steps of planking I have been doing (thanks, Coach Suzanne!). Practicing SwingSkate with right hand extended - Ooh yeah, there they were!

I even felt them later in Whole Stroke swimming.

I hated SwingSkate at first but now I can do it on both sides without falling over flat on my stomach. It feels as if I am doing it really well, but it remains to be seen on video to verify that. :)

Using the focal point from my last TI lesson (leaning into the underarm bra area) while doing Swing Switch, when I turn my head to breathe, my head is immediately right at the surface - but only on one side!!! Right arm extended, turned left to breathe, it's like a miracle - I'm right there at the surface. On the other side, I have to wait for my head to make it to the surface.

THat other side (turning to my right) is my usual side for breathing in whole stroke and it's the side that, no matter what, I just cannot get my left hand to stay out there patiently.

Today I tried everything - leaning on the bra area, keeping my head flat and turning to breathe with it flat, left hand on wide track, all of these together. And still my left hand drifts down. It's as if I"m losing my balance and that hand is compelled to compensate.

When we have a focal point, I am usually able to focus on that focal point and make whatever happen. But with the focal point of "patient lead hand", there is no way I can will that to happen.

I need to figure out what the rest of me needs to do in order to make it so that hand can stay out there. I"m at a loss . . . . any ideas?

I have tried recent suggestions of elbow against rib cage, really stretching the extended arm, spearing on wide track, only to the depth my coach wants me. Nothing changes that drifting left hand. *sigh*

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Old 12-18-2013

WFEGb

Hello Helix,

Quote:
...But with the focal point of "patient lead hand", there is no way I can will that to happen.
In the nodding drills is one, nod and do not breathe... (even if you could). How does that feel? Still an impatient lead arm?

Are you able to move extrem slow? Can you find at which point of movement your arm's impatience starts? How does the same point on the other side feel? Where is the difference in attitude?

Did you try the catch up drill? (No more a TI-drill, but how does it feel? And it can't be done without a patient lead arm)

Best regards,
Werner