Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013

Raini
Default What's Changed?

After 2 weeks of not swimming due to the sudden closure of my regular pool and having to find another pool I have noticed for the last couple of days that my swim feels totally different.
As well as gliding I have been experiencing a sensation of almost falling from side to side a bit like swaying.
It's quite a pleasant feeling and my head almost wants to go along for the ride.
Is this something that should be happening or not and if it is what am I doing differently that would have initiated this change so I know how to keep it?
Old 11-26-2013

ananthaditya

Hi, Raini,

It's probably because you haven't imprinted the extent of body-roll required on each side. Getting the right amount without over-rotating or swimming flat requires sustained practice, and your break might have reset your conditioning. But it's a good thing, I think, because you have the opportunity to consciously make the right changes and be more aware of your stroke movements.
Becomes established in himself.'

Ananth Aditya
Freelance writer, editor,
and aspiring novelist.
Old 12-05-2013

Raini

Thank you for your input Ananth Aditya.
On reflection I have realized that at the new pool I was able to spend more time on drills as I had a lane to myself most mornings.
The drills I did most were skate and superman glide and the swaying motion I have been experiencing I think coincided.
Is it possible that this swaying motion is actually weight shifting that I am experiencing as it feels quite rhythmic and gentle and my swimming feels easier.
The pool that I was previously using has re-opened and I have returned there.One of the swimmers who knows me and how I swim commented this morning that I had gotten faster but I'm not sure if I have or if I am just covering more distance per stroke because of this new feeling.
Any input would be of value as I am self coaching and don't want to be imprinting wrong technique.
Old 12-06-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raini View Post
Thank you for your input Ananth Aditya.
On reflection I have realized that at the new pool I was able to spend more time on drills as I had a lane to myself most mornings.
The drills I did most were skate and superman glide and the swaying motion I have been experiencing I think coincided.
Is it possible that this swaying motion is actually weight shifting that I am experiencing as it feels quite rhythmic and gentle and my swimming feels easier.
This happened to me after some time in the TI drills. It's a delightful feeling! For me, it was the realization that "ah ha, I'm no longer swimming flat!" and that I just might be starting to TI. :)

And yes, that head wants to go along for the ride. I am still fighting that. Every time I focus on drive the high hip down, whee! my head swings too.

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Old 12-06-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raini View Post
After 2 weeks of not swimming due to the sudden closure of my regular pool and having to find another pool I have noticed for the last couple of days that my swim feels totally different.
As well as gliding I have been experiencing a sensation of almost falling from side to side a bit like swaying.
It's quite a pleasant feeling and my head almost wants to go along for the ride.
Is this something that should be happening or not and if it is what am I doing differently that would have initiated this change so I know how to keep it?
I often recommend people who are very committed to a learning process to take some time off pool. Reason for this is that if you're fortunate enough to have a good feel for water, during the come back we often feel a bunch of things we were looking for feeling. This effect doesn't last long though. Merely a workout or 2.
Old 12-06-2013

dprevish

There is something to this and I've experience the same heightened sense of awareness after time off from different trainings.
I know that periodization is a proven method that provides benefits with physical gains, but I think there is a muscle-motor (neurological) gain with it too.
Old 12-06-2013

Danny

I hate to say this, but I was thinking about posting a thread on it anyway, and Charles brought it up here. My pool will be closing for two weeks over Christmas, and I already know from past experience what impact this will have on me when I get back in the water. Usually my first time back isn't so bad, not great but still not so bad. Then, with each progressive visit to the pool my swimming deteriorates until, one or two weeks later, it feels like I have lost everything. So I am already trying to figure out if there is a strategy to at least minimize the damage of the 2-week shut down.

Strategy 1: Make a list of all of the stroke problems you know you have, so you can try to figure out which one is at fault when things start to go bad. This didn't work last time. I got so hung up on individual problems that I neglected the others and then everything really went to hell!

Strategy 2: Don't start really swimming when you go back. Instead just do drills and slowly phase into swimming as you develop confidence that you know what you are doing. This strategy might work because I have been doing a lot of drills lately anyway. So I am thinking of swimming with my hands balled in a fist, and one-armed drills for now.

Anyone else have these problems? Any suggestions for how to deal with it?
Old 12-06-2013

Raini

Danny
Doing more drills on returning to swimming after a couple of weeks off has been the thing that has helped me the most particularly returning to basics with the Superman Glide which I have neglected in my learning process. The level of relaxation and smoothness after doing several lengths with a gentle flutter kick have been amazing.
Also I have been spearing more deeply in whole stroke after taking note of where my hand is when practicing the skate drill which I believe has helped me to experience the hip drive that Helix was describing. She had a point there about swimming flat because as I am quite buoyant there has been a tendency to spear on the shallow side which I suspect has probably not helped my rotation.
From my recent experience your strategy 2 is good. I have learnt over the last couple of weeks that at my level of ability drills are essential