Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011

dobarton
Default So how does a 6 BK help?

I've been experimenting a little lately. I've been trying to see how a 6 BK could help over short distances. My goal right now is just to appropriately coordinate all the movements. It's kinda' like a waltz. 1-2-3(stroke)-1-2-3(stroke)... and so on.
However, I find that it takes me more strokes to cross the pool rather than fewer.
Those of you who race... Have you found any real benefit to a 6 BK even over short distances? Is it just a matter of practice makes perfect in order to get the extra kicks to aid in speed?
Old 09-14-2011

Richardsk

Hi dobarton

It obviously works for elite swimmers, because as far as I know nobody uses anything else for distances up to 200m, and I think that for the 400m most use a six-beat. Above that you find a mixture, some using a six-beat all the way and others using two-beat, four-beat or combinations, and then switching to six-beat for the last 100m or so.

However, like you, my six-beat kick is in an early stage of development and usually I take more strokes per length with the six-beat than with the two-beat, without significant increase in speed, if any.

The rhythm should be jig rather than waltz, I think - in other words six-eight time. However a fast one-in-a-bar waltz tempo would work well for either six-beat or two beat. Think of a lively rendition of the Blue Danube.

For backstroke almost everybody uses the six-beat, so it's worth working on.
Old 09-14-2011

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobarton View Post
However, I find that it takes me more strokes to cross the pool rather than fewer.
Do you slow down, speed up or stay the same?
Old 09-14-2011

dobarton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
Do you slow down, speed up or stay the same?
I haven't timed it yet, so I don't know. I'm just trying to get the mechanics right, ie. kicking foot/leg opposite of the spearing arm consistently.
Old 09-14-2011
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobarton View Post
t's kinda' like a waltz. 1-2-3(stroke)-1-2-3(stroke)... and so on.
I'd think of it as 1-2-3(switch)-1-2-3(switch)...

In a 2 beat kick, each kick is really a switch kick, counterbalancing the rotation of your body. In a 6 beat kick, you are interspersing 2 kicks that are purely propulsive between each pair of switch kicks.

It's not an easy thing to master. Bob Bowman used to make Michael Phelps sit at the side of the pool when he didn't successfully maintain a 6 beat kick.

You might benefit from experimenting with it using vertical kicking with quarter rotations on every third kick.

Bob
Old 09-14-2011

tomoy

Kinda weird, I had the opposite experience. Before I learned the 2BK, I was doing 6 by instinct. I could get across the pool in 12 strokes, pretty quickly (for me!), but was really winded after 200-400Y.

Switching to the 2BK, I instantly jumped to 15SPL, and got slower. BUT it helped me move to 800-1600Y, increased ease and if not stamina, the ability to swim what felt like forever.

So that was the beginning of this summer. Now I'm back down to 13-14SPL, even longer stamina, and I'm starting to pickup speed again.

If I were to draw any conclusions from our contradictory story, it's that any change which feels awkward will decrease some efficiency until your body figures it out.

Also, in a normal waltz, we think, ONE-2-3 ONE-2-3 (thinking about accents). In the 6BK, for me, the accent = the arm stroke. So I subvocalize, 1-2-THREE 1-2-THREE instead, and in fact, that THREE kick, is the stronger one which generates stroke rotation.

Last edited by tomoy : 09-14-2011 at 06:32 PM.