Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011

swinget
Default finding sweet spot

Ok I really need some help. Im new to this so if this questions has been asked before, then just point me to the answer. So im practicing my drills, 1st one ( laying flat on my belly with arms at my side and using only legs to move) had no problem. Drill 2 ( laying flat on my back arms to side) no problem. Drill 3 finding my sweet spot...ugh!!! When i rotate my body im straight as a board. my arm is out of the water like the video. As soon as I turn my head to get my face out of the water...my lower half sinks! What am i doing wrong? What can i do reslove this? Please any help would be appreicated!

Scott
Old 08-24-2011

dobarton
Default I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but...

You shouldn't have to turn your head to find air in "sweet spot." Better way to do it, if I'm picturing what you're doing correctly, start on drill #2 on your back, then rotate only the body so one shoulder is coming out of the water. Your face should still be out of the water. You can do this with a lead (upper) arm extended above your head as well. As long as you are on a wide track, this will still help your balance and will get you ready for "skate" position, from which you WILL have to turn your head to reach air.
Did I get this correct?
Old 08-24-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

You are probably (unconsciously) lifting your head up in an effort to find air. This extra weight above the water throws you off balance and your hips sink. IT also sounds like you are doing a set of drills from the original book or DVD ? (freestyle made easy?).

Terry doesn't teach the back floating drill as part of hte current sequence, but certainly it's another point of balance that if you can master you'll be an improved swimmer.

Focus on the sensaiton of allowing water to come up and surround your ears, the submerged corners of your goggles and even yoru face...as long as your mouth is above water you'll be able to get air.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-24-2011

westyswoods
Default Sweet Spot

Coach Suzanne has it right in that this practice seems to have kind of gone by the way side. I am still a believer in it, for those who may have difficulty with a comfort zone if water.

If done properly you should lay back and let your head relax into the water. When done properly the water should come around the edges of your googles and your nose should be out of the water. Keep your head neutral don't tilt it back a good reference for this is a fist between chin and chest.

Extend hand and arm overhead this helps bring hips and feet up as the forward weight of the extremity alters your center of gravity just as a lead hand does when one swims freestyle.

If you continue to have difficult with this practice with your heels hook over the ropes, gutter or pool steps, lean back and relax it may take some time but it will come. If you tense up it is a sure thing you will not be able to do this. Enjoy the water holding you up and breathe softly let the water flow around the googles.

Hope this helps some

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-25-2011

AWP

A good way to begin may be with "Superman Glide/ Flutter" (if unfamiliar with these, research the latest drill progression).
From these proceed to Skating, on both sides, and when comfortable there explore Sweetspot remembering your balance and streamlined position from the previous drills.
At this point playing with the "nodding drill" can be beneficial. That is practice rotating at progressively greater degrees from Skate to Breath doing so while remaining long and balanced.
Give yourself time to allow buoyancy to take you up after rotating, breathing out gently and steadily. Be patient, stay tall.
When you find 'it', practice it often.
To return to face down position I recommend turning your face back down first (your face will be tucked near your armpit) then your hand (from palm up to palm down) then your shoulder so it's just peeking above the surface.
You should have the sense that you're balanced "just off" your tummy.
Much luck and fun!
Keep us up.

Best,
Alan
Old 08-25-2011

jpwkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
Coach Suzanne has it right in that this practice seems to have kind of gone by the way side.
Terry still does rolling to your back for air in lesson 3 of the latest freestyle video, progressing to just off your back later in the lesson but not getting to freestyle type breathing until later.
Old 08-30-2011

swinget

Ok so I'm over 2 weeks trying to get into sweet spot. The results is that I still can not get it at all. My feet sink, should barely out of water. When I try to breath I inhale water, but if I turn on my back I'm back to balance. So how bad will it be if I just skip sweet spot. I'm just so frustrated that nothing is working. I can't afford 500 $ for TI lessons so any help would be nice.
Old 08-30-2011

yearn2swim

There's nothing wrong with skipping ahead with the drills. I'm doing a little of whole stroke but going back through all the drills all the time.

As for sweet spot, I'm a little fuzzy on the problem. Are you having trouble rotating from your front float to sweet spot or from your back to sweet spot? I found that when I was beginning, it was easier to float from my back to sweet spot until I was comfortable with that position.

Mike
Old 08-30-2011

swinget

Well the problem that i am having is staying in sweet spot. I can be on my back and rotate my body and as soon as i do my lower half sinks. At that point my shoulder is no longer above water. If i start floating on my front side and rotate, once again my feet sink. i dont know what im doing wrong. Im afraid if i dont get this down i will not be able to breath correctly when swimming. Then i will just start swallowing water.
Old 08-30-2011

yearn2swim

As Suzanne says above, you are very likely rotating your head out of alignment unconsciously. Try this: when you rotate from your back to sweet spot, tilt your head down toward the bottom of the pool. In that position, it will sort of be like putting your ear down toward your lower shoulder. Your head should really be neutral and without stress - but just try this for a few laps as a drill and see if this causes your lower end to level out. If it works, then practice "pushing" your shoulder down while keeping your head relaxed.

Keep at it.

Mike