Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009

BradMM
Default Two beat kick

Terry,

Wouldn't this overlap with open water and triathlon topics?

I bought the Open Water swim CD when it first came out but I haven't learned the two beat kick yet. I haven't focused in on it enough but I had a lot of trouble the first time I tried it. I would think that this would be particularly useful for the mile swim...?

Last edited by BradMM : 04-17-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2009
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
Terry,

Wouldn't this overlap with open water and triathlon topics?
I don't think so.

I first swam a mile in a pool - not in open water.

And there's an important difference between just swimming a mile and swimming it as part of a triathlon. When I'm swimming 100m freestyle, I don't swim it the same way I'd swim the first 100m of, say, a 1500m freestyle. Doing the swim leg of a triathlon is like swimming the first part of a distance race, but not swimming the rest of it (i.e., biking and running it, instead). You probably don't ever want to go all out during the swim leg of a triathlon, whereas you would during the last part of a mile swim (if it were a race). When I swim pool events longer than a 50, my split times indicate that my last 50 was the fastest one.

Bob
Old 04-26-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Brad
As Bob suggests, this conference is more for those training in a pool, working their way gradually toward a mile.
As for 2BK,see Syzygy's post in the "Another Skinny Male" thread on the Freestyle conference.
And for increasing your distance capability, see my post in the "Next Step Help" thread, also in Freestyle.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-26-2009

BradMM

Thanks to you both!
Old 05-22-2009

Janos
Default 1 mile

Hi guys,

I have just recently completed my first mile in a pool. In working up to doing the distance in a 25m pool, I counted two lengths as one, and broke it down into manageable portions. I think I started at five laps (of two lengths each) and gradually built it up. If you are like me, you will end up wishing your day away so you can get to the pool for the next session, so you can increase your 'count'.

I must add, that if you are disciplined, you can actually work through problems with your stroke as you do the 'work'. I was always weaker breathing on my right side...so as I was doing the lengths I would focus on this...I would also try and get an end lane, so I could focus my head movement as I took the breath. i.e looking down at the tiles, then turning through ninety degrees with body rotation to take a peek at the side of the pool and take a breath, then straight down again to look at the bottom of the pool. So one length would be on my easy left side, then the next on my troublesome right. Coming back breathing on my left side allowed me to reflect on what I had done wrong and adjust accordingly on the next length. If I got tired, I would stop for a few yoga breaths, and found the the more lengths I done, they eventually became unnecessary.

I am not advocating distance swimming over drills to refine your technique, but this post is addressed to those who are 'drilled out' and practice alone in a pool,and need to take the next step. Hope this is of some help to somebody taking up the challenge of a mile swim.

Kind regards

Janos.