Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010

ewa.swimmer
Default Shark Week

While swimming the Iron Man course this morning I got a small reminder of why I don't watch shark week. While turning my head to take a breath, there right next to me (well, okay maybe 6 feet away) there was a shark. It turned out to be a 4 - 5 foot white tip reef shark. They are not aggressive. It was enough to stop me in my tracks. He was curious but didn't come closer. He was fairly close to the beginning of the course (between buoy #5 & #6). I kept seeing things at the edge of my vision for the more than 2 miles left to swim.

You don't get these stories to tell when you just do pool swimming.
Old 07-21-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
While swimming the Iron Man course this morning I got a small reminder of why I don't watch shark week. While turning my head to take a breath, there right next to me (well, okay maybe 6 feet away) there was a shark. It turned out to be a 4 - 5 foot white tip reef shark. They are not aggressive. It was enough to stop me in my tracks. He was curious but didn't come closer. He was fairly close to the beginning of the course (between buoy #5 & #6). I kept seeing things at the edge of my vision for the more than 2 miles left to swim.

You don't get these stories to tell when you just do pool swimming.
EWA, last week while swimming in the ocean for about 1.5hrs before getting back in the Bay, I suddenly remembered that several tagged sharks from The Farallons had been spotted swimming deep into the Bay as far as a place called Treasure Island. For a moment I thought, "Hmmm it would take much for one to swim up and blindside me right now when there is no visibility in the waters of the San Francisco Bay." But the thought quickly passed and I kept on swimming

Hope we haven't freaked any of you soon to b e open water enthusiasts away with this talk!!!!

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 07-21-2010
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
He was curious but didn't come closer.
He was probably curious because you looked kind of like a human, and he hadn't realized until then that fish-like swimming was possible for humans.

Bob
Old 07-31-2010

DavidBarra

had a 10 foot blue shark follow me for a bit on my catalina swim last week. i didn't see it, but i did notice everyone on board my support boat staring and pointing. i don't watch shark week.
Old 07-31-2010
Coach

CoachJohnB

Just another reason that I don't care for open water.
Old 08-01-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
Just another reason that I don't care for open water.
Coach John B you will come to San Francisco, you will get in that sub 60F water, you will swim fish-like, and you will like it! Do you hear me Mister???!!!
Old 08-01-2010
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Coach John B you will come to San Francisco, you will get in that sub 60F water, you will swim fish-like, and you will like it! Do you hear me Mister???!!!
Been there, done that and HATED IT! I am a pool rat. I do not care to ever swim open water again.