Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010

vol
Default When you have a breakthrough at the end of a session

If you get a technique breakthrough, small or big, suddenly finding yourself swimming very good stroke, when you practice session is almost at the end (e.g. if you usually practice for just 1 hour), do you prolong your session by reaffirming that breakthrough, or just swim a few more laps then finish? Somehow, I find myself doing the latter. It seems I'm supposed to continue for a lot more laps to reinforce the good strokes, but maybe due to fatigue, maybe (I think more so) I feel that having had a new breakthrough has made my day, I have achieved something, so I just finish it and look forward to the next session to repeat this (unfortunately, sometimes I may be unable to repeat the same the next time).

Just curious, what do you guys usually do in such cases? Which is better?
Old 01-25-2010

dshen

Personally I like to swim a few more, potentially as many as i can to repeat that movement just to reinforce and imprint it fully, before I get messy because of fatigue or lack of focus or whatever. I find that if I leave early, it is harder for me to have muscle memory on the movement the next time I get in the pool. So at any point I feel good including at the end, I like to do that workout just a little bit longer and see if I can cement the movement before I get out of the pool.
Old 01-25-2010

ewa.swimmer
Default Just a couple more

I will always do at least another lap. I want to leave on a high note though. If I leave feeling good about my stroke I rehearse it in my mind until the next practice. True, it doesn't always come back to the way I remember it but I sure am looking forward to the next practice to see if it does.
Old 01-25-2010

vol

Thanks. It sounds like you both, like me, do just a few more laps, not too much more. Reminded by ewa.swimmer's reply, another important reason for me not to linger too long in the pool after the breakthrough is so that I leave at the "peak" of my performance, lest in trying to repeating what I had just accomplished I may mess it up and lose it, so that between then and the next session I will have nothing to replay in my mind. Experience shows that the "replay" in mind between actual swims is just as important than actual practice--and you can do it for so much longer time than 1 or 2 hours of pool time. :)