Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013

PaintnRun
Default Am I too old to learn to swim??

Background: Played in water, but never swam. One of my worst experiences in life was 40+ yrs ago during college swim class. 30 min. dead man float was was worse than natural childbirth of my baby boy who enter the world at 10lbs 2 oz. (he is now 6'4" 220lbs). 10 laps of the pool any stroke in that class was farther than the marathon race I recently completed! I "passed" the class, but due to that horrible experience, I changed majors right after. (I was a physical education major).
I can "swim" the 10ft from one end of my boat dock on the lake to the other, and feel like I"m ready to die. BUT, I want to learn to swim for fitness and enjoyment. It would be nice to learn to swim those 10 laps freestyle and not drown half way through the first lap.
Is learning to swim possible for a 61 yr old woman who is in good health and fitness but who is very uncomfortable in water? If so, is this the right program or is there a better place to start the basics? If this is the right place, what DVD &/or book do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2013

Mike from NS

Never too old to begin ....

I began at 54, having never swam a stroke.

And you have the desire, fitness and easy access to water so if all you need is a slight push ... you are in the right place for that and all sorts of encouragement. I expect we will hear of you joining the tri groups and competing as well.

Any of the TI books and DVD will be found helpful. Do some searching the TI site as this should answer your question as to what is best for you. Also, take a look at the series by Terry on "Perpetual Motion" as seen on YouTube. (Google will find this for you.) And this may aid your buying decision.

Last edited by Mike from NS : 02-23-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2013

Tangovera
Default Too Old to swim?

Hi Paintnrun,
I'm 54 and I'm just learning to swim now. I learned how to do the breasttroke when I was 8 or 9, but I never got to the freestyle. I got some of the TI DVDs and they're very helpful, though it is most helpful if you bring a bring so you can do the exercises together. Where do you live - maybe we could meet and drill together?
Veronica