Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2013

caronis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Thanks Suzanne for your input. I guess I was asking if there is a swimming related mechanism that would lead to tinnitus and hearing loss. An ear infection derived from unclean water might be the most likely mechanism?

Have you seen any credible results in easing tinnitus from using lipoflanvoid or any similar over the counter medications? Or any results from a "diet" of B12?

Thanks,
Mike
Howdy Mike,

I have been struggling with tinnitus and hearing loss for awhile. I am in my late 40's and will be finally getting hearing aids soon. I have been to the OHSU tinnitus clinic and their diagnosis was that my tinnitus was related to a "cookie-bite" type of hearing loss that was likely to be hereditary.

I never bothered to use swimmer's plugs because I never paid attention to tinnitus related changes after swimming. Maybe it was worsened, but my tinnitus can fluctuate anyway.

Lately, however, I have been concerned. I developed swimmer's ear a couple of times in the last few months. I never had it before. I somehow think it was related to my trying these bizarre ear drops that contained olive oil and garlic. I'm not sure about that, though.

I'm going to see an ENT in a couple of days because my left ear is totally plugged. I don't know if this is related to swimming, or perhaps mold, an infection, etc. I don't know. But it doesn't appear to be clearing up at all so I am very concerned.

As far as using Lipoflavnoids, that never worked for me. My understanding is that might work better for those with Meniere's Disease. There are other therapies I've tried that I can list, but it's been awhile since you posted. How has the tinnitus been for you since you last posted?

Also . . . regarding my plugged up ear. Can anyone offer any advice on this?
Can swimming cause me to get plugged up like this? I'm nervous because I don't want my hearing to get worse.