Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default New Blog - why Phelps won't 'unretire'

http://www.swimwellblog.com/archives/1704/

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 08-11-2012

Richardsk

It seems that Phelps has said that he will never go near a swimming pool again except to watch. If this is true I find it very sad. I hope he relents and at least goes to swim for enjoyment. If he doesn't he is likely to have serious health issues. How is he going to burn all those calories? Cycling? Not golf certainly.
Old 08-11-2012

westyswoods
Smile Appreciation of greatness

Terry's recent blog on Phelps is spot on. I found it amazing, when he did not win the first race all the naysayers were predicting his demise. I especially like the point of mental fortitude, toughness, maturity and tenacity Terry writes of.

It has been amazing to watch this young mans journey through the years.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-22-2016

lloyddinma
Default Why Phelps will unretire.

Lol!!

Here we are again in 2016. And the blog was written in 2012. But he did unretire. Terry's point is valid within the contex of why Phelps should retire.

However it is based on a very ubiquitous presumption: People assume that those who make sacrifices are resentful for doing so or yearn to resume a normal life. Normal lives are for normal people.

It is usually athletes who really retire. When we delve into the other walks of life: vhess, music, etc. you must ask why the performers there go on and on. Athletes don't retire, their bodies do.

Yes they may whine and complain like Michael Jackson did about his lost childhood. But deep inside they love the bounty and the payoff!

Ultimately, it depends on the individual. They are born to do this. Born to make these sacrifices.

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.
Old 08-25-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

It's interesting that it was Anthony Ervin who got it right. When Phelps was adamantly declaring that his retirement was going to be permanent, Ervin was predicting that it wouldn't be. I'm pretty sure that the reason Ervin was willing to disagree with Phelps about what Phelps was going to do was because Ervin, unlike Phelps, knew what it is like for a competitive swimmer to try to stop competing.

Phelps undoubtedly wanted, and perhaps even needed, a break from the demanding and downright oppressive training schedule that an Olympic swimmer has to follow. But Ervin knew that, for a competitive swimmer, the training and preparation, and even the competitions themselves, have become such an integral part of his life that he will inevitably feel a vacuum if he tries to give it up.

Now, of course, Phelps has a wife and son to occupy his time, so there's more of a chance that he will retire, at least for awhile.

Bob
Old 08-26-2016

lloyddinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
It's interesting that it was Anthony Ervin who got it right. When Phelps was adamantly declaring that his retirement was going to be permanent, Ervin was predicting that it wouldn't be. I'm pretty sure that the reason Ervin was willing to disagree with Phelps about what Phelps was going to do was because Ervin, unlike Phelps, knew what it is like for a competitive swimmer to try to stop competing.

Phelps undoubtedly wanted, and perhaps even needed, a break from the demanding and downright oppressive training schedule that an Olympic swimmer has to follow. But Ervin knew that, for a competitive swimmer, the training and preparation, and even the competitions themselves, have become such an integral part of his life that he will inevitably feel a vacuum if he tries to give it up.

Now, of course, Phelps has a wife and son to occupy his time, so there's more of a chance that he will retire, at least for awhile.

Bob
I remember in another thread (TI97), prior to the Olympic events you pointed out that he had two "distractions." It is remarkable that in spite of these he pushed through. If he takes incremental steps, as in one event leading to the next, he can stay motivated.

There is implicit assertion that people that those who do not want him to retire are callous to the sacrifices that have been made and are to be made. Not really.

Once you have witnessed people like Michael Jordan come back, the concept of the vaccum is easier to grasp. I agree with you and paraphase that Phelps saying he was retiring was another way of saying he wanted to clear his head. The inquiry about into his future plans is intrusive to his personal space.

Another thing about these distractions is that these days they appear to on board. His girlfriend/ fiance came across to me as a teamplayer.

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.