Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013

helixfairweather
Default Recent whole stroke video

Here is a link to a video of my whole stroke in my recent TI lesson. My coach asked to see my whole stroke right at the end of the lesson. I was very tired at that point. I could feel that this wasn't quite how I usually swim.

https://vimeo.com/81520532

PASSWORD : Nov25Lesson

Normally, when I do thoughtful whole stroke, I do fingertip-drag. This time I wasn't doing that.

Here are things I see that look good to me (feel free to correct that if I"m wrong!)
  • arms on wide track
  • quiet
  • rotation to both sides (most of the time)
  • bi-lateral breathing
  • "dead" legs (I do this when I do not have enough focus to do 2-beat kick)

Here are the things I see a need to improve:
  • lifting head a bit when breathing to left
  • left hand is swinging wide (I don't usually do this - must be how tired I was).
  • I think I could go faster now

I'm open to hearing comments! Especially what I need to work on.

My practices are usually about 90% drill lengths and the other 10% whole stroke lengths. The drill lengths have a few whole strokes integrated into the drills depending what I am working on.

Thank you!
Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Old 12-10-2013

daveblt

Your stroke is looking pretty good . I think I can agree with everything you mentioned about your stroke . The only other thing I could add is to try and breathe just a bit earlier when you breathe to your left side .

Dave
Old 12-10-2013

helixfairweather

Thank you, Dave! Apparently my left side is the weakest link. :)

Helix
Old 12-10-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I think you are ready to spend more than 10% of your time in whole stroke. YOu look great...good body rotation, nice extension to each side.

I would swim without the long sleeve shirt, it is creating a lot of drag on your arms..and that is one of your next areas of iporvement is an elbow lead. Right now the shirt is pulling your arm down...you may not notice the weight but I guarantee you'll swim better without it
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-10-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I think you are ready to spend more than 10% of your time in whole stroke. YOu look great...good body rotation, nice extension to each side.
OH thank you! I'll up the whole stroke lengths.

Quote:
I would swim without the long sleeve shirt, it is creating a lot of drag on your arms..and that is one of your next areas of iporvement is an elbow lead. Right now the shirt is pulling your arm down...you may not notice the weight but I guarantee you'll swim better without it
Oh dear! The silk undershirt has made such a difference in keeping me from being so cold. I'll go back to the really lightweight one for a while. I never notice the shirt at all. I can do an hour long practice by using the shirt. I used to bail at 45 minutes as the shivers set in (thinking goes right out the window then).

I have just started on Lesson 6 - Swing Skate and Swing Switch. It's all very very awkward right now. I try to do Swing while being in Skate and I simply fall over flat. :)

Helix
Old 12-10-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixfairweather View Post
I have just started on Lesson 6 - Swing Skate and Swing Switch. It's all very very awkward right now. I try to do Swing while being in Skate and I simply fall over flat. :)

Helix
Well do your swing skate practice earlier in your swim without the shirt before you get cold. The additional weight is what's going to make you tip over easier.

That tendency to fall over flat is the potential energy from the recovering arm coming forward....you'll need to really find your CORE muscles and figure out how to activate them to keep this from happening...then release into gravity's tug when you are ready for the switch. This is how you can tap into the perpetual motion!

you have naturally good front to back balance in teh water, and often when that is the case, you have not had to rely on the ab / core muscles as much as people whose legs tend to sink. So this is a good learning point for you. You will get alot out of this if you stick with it!
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-11-2013

helixfairweather

Thank you, Coach Suzanne!

I'll shuffle the practice set around and do the Swing work earlier w/o shirt. I think the lack of any asb/core muscles is more at play than the shirt though. If I knew how to activate these mysterious muscles, I would. :)

I love the videos of Terry in Swing position. He looks like a large animal ready to pounce - just hovering for the right moment. Would that I could do that . . .

Helix
Old 12-11-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixfairweather View Post
Thank you, Coach Suzanne!

I'll shuffle the practice set around and do the Swing work earlier w/o shirt. I think the lack of any asb/core muscles is more at play than the shirt though. If I knew how to activate these mysterious muscles, I would. :)

I love the videos of Terry in Swing position. He looks like a large animal ready to pounce - just hovering for the right moment. Would that I could do that . . .

Helix
Try dryland planking variations....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFtmkYcZEY
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-11-2013

nurledge

hi Helix,

if your left arm could be as patient as your right. see the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helix.jpg (20.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-11-2013

helixfairweather

Great side-by-side! Lot of work to do on the left side.

Thank you, Nurledge!

Helix