Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne
Default Video Analysis with Voiceover & Annotations - Ironman Distance Athlete

Just thought I'd share this as some folks have asked for "more more" of this sort of thing. He told me I could publicly post this so I put it up on Youtube and thought I'd link to it here.

I could ahve made it an hour long but I had to stop at some point, lol.

David is a 25 year old triathlete of mine who qualified for the Ironman World Championships already for 2014. We are working to get his 2.4 mile swim time down to 1:00 for next year, from 1:08 this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vakvj...ature=youtu.be
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-03-2013

efdoucette

Well, that was awesome Suzanne. I am not at David's level but this video and your analysis will be a big help to me. Great to get the detailed explanations. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-04-2013

dwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by efdoucette View Post
Well, that was awesome Suzanne. I am not at David's level but this video and your analysis will be a big help to me. Great to get the detailed explanations. Thanks for posting.
I have to agree! Great job Coach! That was easy to understand and to see the explanations of what you were looking for made it even better. Too bad we can't see more of that.

The points you were making on the entry of the spear hand and the extension was really helpful. At the pool today, I paid attention to the bubbles coming off my hand and arm on the spear. It was interesting to see the differences in the amount when I changed the entry angle. I did one 4x25 set today, mid-workout to see how fast I could do it in, my normal pace is 2 min to about 1:55. I can't remember my time, I know it was faster, but what I do remember was the amount of bubbles/turbulence coming from my arms on the entry. I wouldn't have paid attention to it otherwise.
Old 12-04-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
I can't remember my time, I know it was faster, but what I do remember was the amount of bubbles/turbulence coming from my arms on the entry. I wouldn't have paid attention to it otherwise.
I'm really glad to hear that!

As far as seeing " more of that" , several of us coaches DO do video analysis for our swimmers but as I'm sure you can guess it's time consuming thus i only do the extend reviews for my own athletes. I think there is a plan in the works to offer this service by TI coaches in the Academy but I'm not sure what the status is of that.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-04-2013

Fundeto

a very good job, very interesting Thanks
Old 12-04-2013

azamy

Great analysis and a lot more to learn. I couldn't see the video because of connection problems so I asked my friend to download it for me. Looking forward for "more" :p
Old 12-05-2013

sinker

Suzanne--3 comments
I noticed the lead hand was not patient--he was starting his stroke well ahead of the recovering arm's entry. Was waiting for you to cover this but you did not. Did you feel it was patient "enough", or were there more profitable areas to cover?

Re; your comments about the stroking hand finishing pointing up and not back.
I have read a couple references to swimming with a relaxed hand in the forums, but did not get a satisfactory explanation as to the "why". (all too common, I'm afraid)
I have been experimenting stroking with this relaxed hand and find it beneficial. The relaxed hand will only bend so far backward and puts my hand in ideal stroking position. A big benefit is that the hand remains palm back all the way to the end of the stroke. Also the more body parts are swimming relaxed, the better.
Also---Hard to tell with the herky jerky film, but it did not look like he was using a 2bk. As he is training for distance, would not a 2bk be best?

Gene
Old 12-05-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker View Post
Suzanne--3 comments
I noticed the lead hand was not patient--he was starting his stroke well ahead of the recovering arm's entry. Was waiting for you to cover this but you did not. Did you feel it was patient "enough", or were there more profitable areas to cover?

Re; your comments about the stroking hand finishing pointing up and not back.
I have read a couple references to swimming with a relaxed hand in the forums, but did not get a satisfactory explanation as to the "why". (all too common, I'm afraid)
I have been experimenting stroking with this relaxed hand and find it beneficial. The relaxed hand will only bend so far backward and puts my hand in ideal stroking position. A big benefit is that the hand remains palm back all the way to the end of the stroke. Also the more body parts are swimming relaxed, the better.
Also---Hard to tell with the herky jerky film, but it did not look like he was using a 2bk. As he is training for distance, would not a 2bk be best?

Gene
I'm fine with his overlap timing, there are other places where he can make an immediate improvement and waiting longer in front I don't feel is one of them right now. As the stroke cleans up he'll have a more versatile stroke and more options.

His kick is a mess and needs a lot of work!
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-05-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
His kick is a mess and needs a lot of work!
It'd certainly need to be more compact (ie, avoiding the scissor), but that I'm sure you knew already ;-)