Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013

sinker
Default first video--need LOTS of help

Hope these get through--having mixed results copy & pasting youtube links. If they don't work, maybe someone can help me post them.

OMG. you're right. Video doesn't lie. It can be brutal. I'm all over the place. Thought I had a much better "marionette arm". My right spearing arm took "wide tracks" too much to heart. etc. etc.

Timing of these videos was not planned, but they were taken today on my 70th birthday. EGAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMsQvImEAQE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEEmuz1oxk

Gene
Old 08-26-2013

CharlesCouturier

I will not allow you to be to hard on yourself though... outstanding balance of yours is a great start. You need to learn to relax. I'm sure some will be keen to entertain you on a few obvious things.

But you're on the right track as for the basics, you're safe!

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 08-26-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2013

daveblt

Try breathing just bit earlier and don't roll as much on your side to breathe, enter the right hand into the water with a little less arm extension ,and yes wide tracks is good but don't get too carried away ! otherwise a pretty good start.

Last edited by daveblt : 08-26-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker View Post
Hope these get through--having mixed results copy & pasting youtube links. If they don't work, maybe someone can help me post them.

OMG. you're right. Video doesn't lie. It can be brutal. I'm all over the place. Thought I had a much better "marionette arm". My right spearing arm took "wide tracks" too much to heart. etc. etc.

Timing of these videos was not planned, but they were taken today on my 70th birthday. EGAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMsQvImEAQE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEEmuz1oxk

Gene
Happy birthday, Gene! Great work so far. Good balance. One thing to work on is left side streamline/left side skate. Hold that postition while right arm is recovering and that will reduce some of the sway you are seeing.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-26-2013

sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Happy birthday, Gene! Great work so far. Good balance. One thing to work on is left side streamline/left side skate. Hold that postition while right arm is recovering and that will reduce some of the sway you are seeing.
Thanks for the replies Dave, Charles and Coach Suzanne.
After a nearly sleepless night replaying that horror film in my mind, I woke up determined to get back to work and correct some of this stuff.
The crazy thing is that I have been working at TI for about 4 & a half years. Five years ago my wife persuaded me to get off the couch and join the local Y.
My first day I dove in the deep end with only a minor belly flop, fully intending to make it to the other wall with the "survival stroke" I last used over 50 years ago.
After a minute or so of windmilling, I began to go down (hence my username). Luckily I had progressed to about 5 foot depth and my nose was able to reach air while on my tippy toes. I must have given the lifeguard a conniption fit.
Then I discovered TI. After an interesting and downright fun 4+ years, I actually now feel fully at home and relaxed in the water. My long time breathing issue has been solved, and I frequently swim 40 minutes continuously nearly effortlessly, probably 95% which is freestyle. I am slow, but hey I am not going to enter any races. The above fulfills my initial goals. Guess I should count my blessings. I intend to swim regularly for the next 20 to 30 years.

Then came these videos. After getting over the shock, I decided to tackle one defective area at a time, starting with the one which I feel will give me the biggest bang for the buck. I would appreciate any input of fellow TI'ers as to what that may be in their opinion. My initial thought was to focus on that right arm spear that wants to reach for 2 o'clock, and then actually seems to start it's pull by going firstly out even wider. I want to get it back on track straight out from my shoulder. And while on spearing, get that left arm spear on track also. My left spearing hand is getting to the centerline right in front of my head. Then focus on pulling straight back with both pulls.

Coach Suzanne, your advice to "left side streamline/left side skate. Hold that postition while right arm is recovering and that will reduce some of the sway you are seeing."-----I cannot connect in my mind how this will correct the sway in my body. The sway seems to be caused during the left arm pull, possibly by not pulling straight back?

Oh well, one of the things I enjoy about TI swimming is that there is a list of things that can be improved. The list is just longer than I thought.

Loving the journey.

Gene
Old 08-27-2013

dprevish

Hey Gene,

Just sending you a shout out from another TI swimmer; good job! Though I can't really feel confident about giving you advice, I'm proud of you that you posted the clip and you'll get some help from all others here. I took my Iphone underwater a few weeks ago and got the same wake up call...yikes.
I will say that for a sinker (as you claim), you're body is riding pretty horizontal, so you obviously have conquered some balance issue over the years.
Keep up the good work!
Old 08-27-2013

tomoy

Gene - I'll be a happy man if I'm swimming this well when I turn 70! You seem very comfortable and smooth in the water. You know what you need to work on and have a couple good tips here.

I'm not sure about this, but I see an interesting bend at your hips, maybe as you kick, but both legs seem to move forward a bit. Maybe it feels a little like a dolphin kick? Not sure, but you're fishtailing side to side a bit. Maybe focus on the laser lead from your head through your spine, but even imagine it further through your legs. I think if you could straighten that posture out a bit from head to toe, you may find less resistance.

Anyway, great work - it's an ongoing thing, keep it up!
Old 08-27-2013

sinker

Dave and Tomoy
Thanks for the kind words--it's motivational.
Tomoy says "Not sure, but you're fishtailing side to side a bit"
Tomoy--not just a bit, but a WHOLE lot. That is one of the things I was unaware of and that shook me up. I think that's what Coach Suzanne meant when she referred to my "sway".

Don't know why I feel so good in the water with all this other weird stuff going on. I tend to think it's due to the fact that TI taught me patient lead arm and not lifting head while swimming or breathing. These two things are responsible for why I feel so balanced and relaxed in the water.
Old 08-27-2013

wentod

Hi Gene,
If you see your flaws you can correct them.
Obviously you are fishtailing both sides (most on right spearing). I'm no coach (only a 68 years swimmer learning Ti for 4 years) but it seems to me there are three errors on your right spearing: 1) too wide track 2) left stroking hand sweeping outside 3) soft kicking (or no kick at all) more like a dolphin than the Ti way (two legs moving together forwards may be because of 2 and unwilling contraction of some abdominal muscles).
So at the end of the right spearing+left stroke you spine line is angled to the direction of your swim. Your next stroke is compensating to put you back on the right direction.
I suggest you to experiment this: on superman glide bend you right knee a little and kick to make your body rotate to 45°. While maintaining the same posture raise you right elbow above the water as if you are preparing to spear. The extra weight of the elbow prevents sinking. Spear and switch to
skate on the right side. Check you posture and positioning.
This drill helped me a lot. Hope it's also good for you
Old 08-28-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker View Post

Coach Suzanne, your advice to "left side streamline/left side skate. Hold that postition while right arm is recovering and that will reduce some of the sway you are seeing."-----I cannot connect in my mind how this will correct the sway in my body. The sway seems to be caused during the left arm pull, possibly by not pulling straight back?

Gene
If you watch closely your left pull and your right recovery are connected across your shoulder girdle. Part of pulling wide to the left is because at that moment you have a big weight out to your right...your right arm recovering.

If you can learn to separate the pull on one side from the recovery on the opposite side you'll have more stability overall and less compensating push to the side when you stroke.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle