Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009

daveblt
Default Terry 2 beat kick question

Terry

It seems that there was no discussion of the 2 beat kick on this forum at all before 2004 . However in the vcr tape freestyle and backstroke from 1999 it clearly shows that you are doing a 2 beat kick and actually looks pretty
good ! So I was wondering when did you actually start practicing the 2 beat kick ? And then again I guess I'm wondering why it took until 2004 until it was mentioned on the TI forum .

Thanks , Dave
Old 07-15-2009

stevereagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Terry

It seems that there was no discussion of the 2 beat kick on this forum at all before 2004 . However in the vcr tape freestyle and backstroke from 1999 it clearly shows that you are doing a 2 beat kick and actually looks pretty
good ! So I was wondering when did you actually start practicing the 2 beat kick ? And then again I guess I'm wondering why it took until 2004 until it was mentioned on the TI forum .

Thanks , Dave
I'm wondering about all of this, too ... I am trying to learn the 2-beat kick (taking lessons with Shinji); as I remember it, I am supposed to kick with the leg on the side of the extended arm as I am beginning the switch, but just as often as not I get confused, finding myself starting to kick with the wrong leg or at least falling apart when I can't decisively kick properly. Is there a way to get this better ingrained in muscle memory or at least some way to make sure I do it properly? I want to get this and breathing down so I start to do laps and work on transitioning to open water.

Thanks,

-- Steve
Old 07-15-2009

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereagan View Post
I'm wondering about all of this, too ... I am trying to learn the 2-beat kick (taking lessons with Shinji); as I remember it, I am supposed to kick with the leg on the side of the extended arm as I am beginning the switch, but just as often as not I get confused, finding myself starting to kick with the wrong leg or at least falling apart when I can't decisively kick properly. Is there a way to get this better ingrained in muscle memory or at least some way to make sure I do it properly? I want to get this and breathing down so I start to do laps and work on transitioning to open water.

Thanks,

-- Steve
Try this: put on a pair of fins and kick very slowly, face down, arms at sides, letting your body rock from side to side from the kick motion. (Longer fins are better for this slow motion kicking.) Make a mental note of what happens to your position when your right leg kicks down, then your left. Then roll a little and slide your bottom arm forward to skate position. Continue to kick in such a way as to rock slowly, but as you feel your body flattening out in the water as you move the bottom leg forward, start to bring the whole forearm down (or elbow up) and "catch", rolling to the other side. Slide the other arm forward into skate position on the other side and repeat.
After doing this for a while, start to bring the recovering arm forward as you rock from side to side. Insert your hand into the water as you rock towards the recovering arm side, and let your recovering arm (and the rest of the body on that side) "fall" into the water as you kick forward with the opposite leg. It will feel a little awkward at first, and you may find yourself fighting the temporary loss of balance as you let gravity do it's thing.
Then take the fins off and swim a few lengths. See if you can feel the same way as your hand enters the water and you kick it forward into streamline.
Old 07-15-2009

stevereagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
Try this: put on a pair of fins and kick very slowly, face down, arms at sides, letting your body rock from side to side from the kick motion. (Longer fins are better for this slow motion kicking.) Make a mental note of what happens to your position when your right leg kicks down, then your left. Then roll a little and slide your bottom arm forward to skate position. Continue to kick in such a way as to rock slowly, but as you feel your body flattening out in the water as you move the bottom leg forward, start to bring the whole forearm down (or elbow up) and "catch", rolling to the other side. Slide the other arm forward into skate position on the other side and repeat.
After doing this for a while, start to bring the recovering arm forward as you rock from side to side. Insert your hand into the water as you rock towards the recovering arm side, and let your recovering arm (and the rest of the body on that side) "fall" into the water as you kick forward with the opposite leg. It will feel a little awkward at first, and you may find yourself fighting the temporary loss of balance as you let gravity do it's thing.
Then take the fins off and swim a few lengths. See if you can feel the same way as your hand enters the water and you kick it forward into streamline.
Hmmm ... that sounds like it might work. I have a pair of Slim Fins (i.e., those big TI fins, which I've been weaning myself off of) so could use those. I'll go to the pool tomorrow after work and try that out ...
Old 07-19-2009

LBRoberts

This: http://archive.totalimmersion.net/20...ndstudent.html

and this:http://archive.totalimmersion.net/20...ingersoll.html

might help
Old 07-20-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Dave
2BK is always what came most naturally to me, but it was utterly ineffectual and made my legs tired, despite making no contribution to speed. After I learned balance, my legs no longer tired, but they still didn't coordinate with upper-body actions optimally.
As well I was often distracted by the position taken by the swimming mainstream that 2BK was only good for "slow" swimming and one needed a 6BK to truly swim fast. So I wasted much time trying to learn something my body resisted. I could manage it during a 50 or 100 free, but ultimately was far less interested in excelling - or even racing - at those than at longer distances particularly in OW.
I began to really understand what had kept me from coordinating the 2BK to maximize the power it could produce in 2004 - namely lateral instability in the upper body, which caused me legs to be occupied with "steadying" actions -- splaying, side-sliding and mini-beats between the major ones. Working on those -- some of which is described in Two Beat Kick or Not Two Beak Kick -- has been a very satisfying and productive project now in its 5th year of continuing improvement and understanding. Very cool.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story