Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013

swimust
Default looks like a video is on its way

major/huge/stunning developments for me today at the pool. "wolf wolf" for the zillion time... :)
finished with two laps of "no splash" clean entry (Terry calls it "silent entry") while swimming the Shinji technique ("hip roll" followed by "torso twist"). best moments of my swimming life. it was easier than a walk in the park. I swear :)
(I have a torn calf muscle not healing that fast)
I sorted out the pieces of the puzzle and understood what is doing when. I was SO CONFUSED until today. I could do "everything and nothing"...

Add to that, that for the first time in my life I started kicking the breaststroke style "against" the knees (knees used as fulcrum) and not "with the knees" and I am really really good for the day :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji
...Use your hip rotation to roll your body, then use your rolling torso to extend your arm in the water....
My understanding of the quote above in my own "donkey words" is: (I worked like a dog/donkey to understand that)
"Use your hip roll to enter the whole arm in the water, then use your torso twist to extend your arm in the water".
The hip roll and torso twist doing two different things in different times!! I sorted that out today at last. happy days :)

SELF COACHES, go to the pool mad. really really mad! get out of the box! slap yourself if needed... :) :)
that will give you a chance to find new revelations and insights! I know what my mental state was when I came today to the pool... Brain storm yourselves! It helps
I came to the pool like a boxer to the ring (mental state) and left feeling like a leaf flying on a light gentle breeze. that's what a Shinji swim (or classic TI) can do for you :) amazing

Last edited by swimust : 04-04-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2013

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
major/huge/stunning developments for me today at the pool. ............ best moments of my swimming life. it was easier than a walk in the park. I swear :)
Congratulations swimust !! And the best part of this, is that with our TI development methods.... you will have even better "swimming life" moments in the future too!

Mike
Old 04-04-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Congratulations swimust !! And the best part of this, is that with our TI development methods.... you will have even better "swimming life" moments in the future too!

Mike
Thanks :) It will be hard to have bigger moments than having the "first birth" moments! ;) I feel like I just gave birth at last after hmm... few months/years! still a male and my fellow swimmers in the pool are gone be stunned very soon when they will see my new turbo engine! I am no longer "that looney" who is trying crazy things after each lap...
I am overwhelmed by the event. I don't know what was more amazing:
The fact that I managed to learn it on my own with no "ordered material"? Maybe the first self coached Shinji swimmer?
Or is it the mental aspect? I came "mad and moody" and that made me jump out of my comfort zone and break the box. That's the reason I had the revelations! The mad mood.
Or maybe the most amazing thing is how simple and natural the Shinji swim feels like?! I say its easier than walking and I mean it!
I spend more energy while walking, especially with my torn calf muscle!
I felt light as a feather. Thats the best sign that I was doing it right. The mighty and mysterious "torso twist" feels natural, the body "demands" to do it after the hip roll... :)
If you "follow the orders" and understand them, then there is no way to fail in TI swim. There is no need for a special skill!
To everyone who suffers and struggles in learning TI (like I was) I say, you simply don't do something right. That's all. This is the only reason for failure.

Last edited by swimust : 04-04-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2013

rcrawf

Where is the video? :(
Old 04-04-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawf View Post
Where is the video? :(
on its way. I hope the way wont take too long ;)
just the first day of me being able to swim correctly. I need to establish my swim and "polish" it. I had fake alarms in the past, I believe this time its for real. I sorted the mess in my head.
Old 04-04-2013

tony0000

I'll also looking forward to the video. Even if it isn't "corect" or "polish[ed]," I still think it would be useful people to see what you are working on. Don't be shy!

Tony
Old 04-04-2013

andyinnorway

'You must be a donkey before you can become a dolphin'

without doubt the best one liner I have seen here in the last 2 years.

good for you.
Old 04-05-2013

dprevish
Default Forthcoming video

Swimust,

Very anxious to see the video too. I like the expression that you could do "everything and nothing". That rather sums it up sometimes for my self coached pool time.
I have this certainty that there is a missing link so to speak between what I know should happen and what I am doing. When watching the famous video to see Shinji shoot through the water with each timed core movement, I know that I'm not on to it yet; still grasping.
Old 04-06-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprevish View Post
Swimust,

Very anxious to see the video too. I like the expression that you could do "everything and nothing". That rather sums it up sometimes for my self coached pool time.
I have this certainty that there is a missing link so to speak between what I know should happen and what I am doing. When watching the famous video to see Shinji shoot through the water with each timed core movement, I know that I'm not on to it yet; still grasping.
Are you trying the Shinji technique?
I must say that everything (every failure) has a reason. Its not about lacking ability but about lacking knowledge and understanding about what to do and when. I haven't swam since posting this thread (2 days) and I am very curious to see if my swim will hold form at the next time (maybe tomorrow).
"Everything has a reason" and if I am correct this time and I finally understood the Shinji swim, then I can describe exactly what happened, what was my main error, and how I discovered the correct technique.
BUT, even when I "was lost", I was still improving the detached pieces and that's very important. Working without having the big picture is important because when you will solve your error then everything will join in and become a swim. So, don't give up on continues work on "minor details" even when you feel that its not the real swim.
If I am correct and my swim will hold up, then I can describe the Shinji technique as "simple and amazing". Yes, simple can be amazing!
Its simple to execute once you understood it, and it has an amazing quality and efficiency. I just hope I am not dreaming all this!... I will see tomorrow at the pool. After so much work it still feels unreal to me.

P.S. - by saying "everything and nothing" I meant that I could do many "crazy" things but I couldn't create a real swim out of all these things. I tried so many types of torso twists, different timings (i.e. when to accelerate the arm versus the body twist), don't ask... :)
Everything solves itself once you understand his swim in the big picture.
I talk as if I already own the Shinji swim. I am sure I still have many things to improve but I will feel great if my basics are true and real. I am still lacking self belief that I really "cracked" the Shinji swim but its normal after such a long time of working on my own.
I still have that nightmare that I am "talking the talk without swimming the swim". will see

Last edited by swimust : 04-06-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2013

dprevish
Default Shinji Technique

Swimust,

I am not sure that I have a handle on what the hip roll and torque twist are. I tried looking it up, but if you have a video that demonstrates this, please repost it for me.
I have seen Shinji swimming in the "famous" one where he "soars" through the water seemingly effortlessly; pretty amazing.
Honestly, I feel like I have a lot of the "pieces"as you said, but don't have the whole.
Yesterday I did get a sense of power of the two beat kick when I realized that my feet had been kicking diagonally instead of up and down. I managed to feel a new burst of propulsion from about a half a dozen well timed kicks where my leg was acting more like that "long lever". Then I seemed to lose it again??
I also have a laminated list of the focal points from TI at the end of the lane to help me organize the swim session more productively. I don't swim more that 100 yds at a time as I feel my focus and form faltering. Hopefully this will help.

Last edited by dprevish : 04-07-2013 at 09:58 PM.